About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

January 2021 Ex-Smokers   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/31/19 by ModDee; 35909 views.
Anne2020

1/4/21

Only the passage of time not smoked will bring you the peace you seek.  Your mind will try to come up with all sorts of ways to replace the nicotine you have purged out of your body.  Don't give in to those tricks.  Not a single one of them.  You do not need nicotine and you really don't want nicotine either.   

You are probably already feeling better for brief periods.  Those silent periods will expand over time to encompass all day everyday but only if you do not smoke or partake in any nicotine consumption.  The longer you refuse to allow yourself to consume nicotine, the sooner your peace of mind will come.  

Cheers   

• Edited January 4, 2021 2:24 pm  by  Anne2020
MDS27

1/4/21

Hello all,

I didn't start smoking until I was 22. I never saw the point in it. I'm now 41 and it scares me to think I've been smoking for almost 20 years. I have been trying to quit on and off for the last 8 years. I've tried everything; cold turkey, patches, gum. The last two years I have been vaping as I thought this would be a stepping stone to quitting. In many ways, the vaping has been worse. As well as the cost in money and time and the unknown health effects of vaping, I've been living with an underlying sense of shame and guilt for so long now that it has become normalised for me. I'm starting my quitting journey today, so I can be a better example to my children, so I don't have to waste time and money vaping, but most importantly to restore my self-respect and peace of mind that has been missing for too long. 

Plan is to gradually reduce vape intake for next week (writing it down, so I can hold myself accountable and see progress). I will also only vape in one room of the house. That means not taking my vape out with me and learning to live without it for longer stretches. Bit scary, but here we go. Feels good to be part of a support group.

Take care all!

DanJF3

1/4/21

Congratulations to you and the others that have posted who are committed to quitting smoking/vaping in 2021.  For me there has always been something nice about a new year and a fresh start.  I just wanted to share a bit of perspective and advice and hope that anyone who reads it gets some strength and wisdom from it.

I had been a smoker to some extent for over 35 years.  Over that period I ranged from an occasional smoker who averaged out to 1 or 2 a day, to more consistently around 5-6 a day and for the last 5 years I smoked 10-12 most days.  While not a “heavy” smoker by some standards it’s still enough that the body and brain doesn’t like stopping.

I posted on this site on January 1, 2020 and announced that I was quitting smoking that day.  Did I really think I meant it?  Uh, NO!  Previously I tried to do it all myself without support or even trying to understand what addiction is all about.  I had a series of medical tests upcoming over the next couple months and didn’t want to go in as a smoker so that was my motivation.  Fortunately my health isn’t perfect but better than I expected.  Here we are a year later and I have been totally nicotine free this whole time.  This still shocks me but it proves if I can do it, you can too.  Occasional thoughts of smoking do pop up and I suspect always will, but certainly nothing that makes me want to run out to the store and buy a pack of cigarettes. 

First bit of advice is find your “why” on quitting.   Really think of how freedom from nicotine will feel and very important, don’t have cigarettes or vape juice in your home or anywhere you go if you are trying to quit.  I can’t tell you how many times I did that and sure enough, I always ended up eventually lighting up.  Also, post as often as you need to.  Sharing the experience with others increases your chances of succeeding.  

The single most important thing I did was to read Allen Carr’s Easy Way to Quit Smoking.  You can download a free version online by typing in the title so there is easy access.  I read this over my second and third day of my quit which we all know can be miserable days in terms of the physical withdrawal.  Reading the book really helped change my mindset and realize I wasn’t giving up something of great value but gaining freedom and the gateway to better physical and mental health.  I’m about to re-read it as it’s important to periodically re-commit to winning this battle against nicotine addiction and to realize we will always be addicts but that doesn’t mean we have to use nicotine.

Best wishes for all in the group.  Know that if you are here, you may not think so but you do have within you what it takes to free yourself from nicotine.  Seriously, it is always one day/minute/crave at a time!

Eve1973

1/4/21

Hi MD, 

Ok you sound like you have a good plan, but I would start the process by NOT vaping in house at all, and make yourself go outside. Why? Because that “room” you picked will be a trigger for you to smoke/vape and better to just not have that!

Hope to see you back here soon saying you quit! In meantime, stalk the site, read in the beginning of this thread and soak up all the knowledge here. This is a tough addiction! It needs to go, do this for yourself!

MDS27

1/4/21

Thanks Dan,

Congratulations on how far you've come. Definitely feeling the strength and benefiting from the wisdom. Have downloaded the book. I know it is not going to be easy, but just taking the first steps on this path feels right.

Much appreciation!

MDS27

1/4/21

Thanks Eve,

Good tip. Baby step 1 today, but will implement 'the outside rule' in a day or two.

Really appreciate the support!

DanJF3

1/5/21

You're very welcome!  I think you will find the book an easy read.  Addiction doesn't mean you are weak but yes it does take a certain amount of strength to get stopped.  Once you do that it does get easier in time.  

Nice advice from Eve too.  The more difficult you make it on yourself to smoke/vape the more likely you are to succeed.  You can do it!

CC to Eve1973
MDS27

1/5/21

After waking up yesterday and deciding I need to quit vaping, I had a good first day. It was a bit of a trial run, but between 9:30am and 9:30pm I only vaped 6 times with an average of 90mins between vapes. Within that, I had a couple of 2hr stretches of no vaping. I only vaped in 1 room of the house (my private office/loft). 

I'm aware this isn't cessation, but it feels significant as prior to this the vaping was out of control. I was vaping around 20 times per day, punctuating everything I did with vaping, vaping everywhere in the house and while driving. I'm also reading Alan Carr's 'Easy Way to Quit Smoking'. The most helpful advice in there som far is: to focus on the freedom you will gain and also asking the question 'what is smoking really giving you?'. Also reading the 'homework' section on this forum. I feel more in control, a little stronger mentally and have a sense of hope for the first time in a long time, that I can beat this. 

This morning I played my first round without taking my vape pen with me.  My plan today is to extend these stretches to 3hrs and then tomorrow commit to only vaping outside. 

The hardest part is yet to come - a day without any nicotine and the idea of waking up in the morning without a drag currently feels daunting. However, for now, I'm happy and proud of myself for the start I have made. 

The support really means a lot - thanks!

Loreficent

1/5/21

You should be proud of yourself! Yay! You are taking steps in a healthy direction. Keep it up and stay close here. It will really help and make a big difference to have support. We have all been through it and it will be very good to have folks that “get it” support you! muscleclapblush

MDS27

1/5/21

Thanks so much :-)