About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Today    Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Jan-13 by Loreficent; 776 views.
Loreficent

Jan-13

Hi All,

Trying to join this chain of folks moving forward on my quit day. Anybody out there? Need some encouragement!

thank you!

1970Flyboy

Jan-13

I am here, today is my first day on the forum.  You are not alone!  Did you stop smoking today?  

Loreficent

Jan-13

Ughhhh...not yet. Told myself I’m finishing this pack and that’s it. Made my decision today and am feeling like now I have to figure out this forum fast so I can get some support and hopefully be supportive. Is today your first quit day?

DanJF3

Jan-13

Congrats on the decision to stop smoking!  I’m only 13 days in myself so you’re not alone on this journey.  Keeping this site close is important.  I have had numerous failed quits in the past and this is the first time I have decided to seek online support.  At least for me, it’s amazing what a difference that has made.  

This site can be a bit quirky to navigate but if you pay attention to the “January 2020 New Ex-Smokers” chat you can get a lot of good advice and perhaps more importantly, recognition that you are not alone.  Also, the “NOPE Pledge” chat is something I have used a bit.  There’s something about putting it in writing that you’re not going to smoke today helps with the commitment.  Just a couple thoughts I wanted to share.  Keep posting and be positive about the opportunity to leave smoking in the past.

In reply toRe: msg 4
Loreficent

Jan-13

Oh, thanks so much! I just found that area and think I’m starting to learn the navigation part.

Congratulations on 13 wonderful days! That is so great! Right now that seems near impossible to me but I know it is not. I’m in the middle of Alan Carr’s book. Did you read that, and if so find it helpful? Are you using any gum or other NRT?

thank you so much for the words of encouragement!

DanJF3

Jan-13

I know 13 days seems like a lot.  Seriously it's one day/crave at a time.  I was a 10-15 a day smoker so not super heavy but enough to have some withdrawal symptoms.  Not using any form of nicotine at all and for some reason, the physical part wasn't as bad as with some previous quit attempts.  I have no idea why.

I have read about 2/3 of the Alan Carr book and yes I have found it helpful.  It just makes you realize that there are no benefits to smoking at all and really made me question why I ever did it or would want to do it again.  It's also a story of hope that even someone so hardcore can overcome the addiction.  Be strong as you get started and know that you will get some intense cravings.  For me, day 4 was the day I couldn't stop thinking about smoking but by reading and distracting myself and socializing I made it through and really the last few days I have had very few thoughts of smoking.  Wishing you well as you get started!

JEM777

Jan-14

Congratulations on making the decision to quit. It's honestly good you have some time before your quit date - have you set that? Having a set date to quit helped me stay on track, even though I HATE being "locked down" to anything. 

Please review the first few posts in the Jan2020 Ex-Smoker's thread (http://forums.delphiforums.com/quit_smoking/messages/5366/1) and then post there. All the new folks are about where you are, plus or minus a few days. Going through this with friends who are right where you are is super helpful. If your quit date is in Feb, then you can always "join" the Feb group. I quit 1/31/2019 and joined the Feb group because most of the Jan group was a month into their quit and I felt like I belonged with the Feb folks. By "join" I mean only that it's the thread you visit the most. You are welcome to post on any thread here. :)

The info on the first few posts of the Jan 2020 thread will help you get ready to quit. Get in the right mindset. Successful quitters have said that having a plan really helped them. Think of the reasons you want to quit and write them down. Think of triggers for smoking (for me, things like "working on a big project" or "coming home") and think of a plan to tackle those triggers. The articles will help! Also, think of activities to distract yourself from the cravings. Some people suck on a straw or drink extremely cold water. Others suck on a cinnamon stick as an analog for a cigarette. It approximates the hand-to-mouth motion without lighting up. I downloaded a free coloring app and used that to get through the cravings. 

It DOES get better. The cravings DO stop. There WILL be a time when cigarettes aren't foremost on your mind. Just remember that cigarettes aren't your friend. They have stolen so much from you while telling you that you need them. They are liars. It's time to kick the cigarette frenemy to the curb and take back your life!! :)

Jem

Smober since 1/31/2019

star2star2star2star2star2star2star2star2star2star2star2

In reply toRe: msg 7
Loreficent

Jan-14

Thank you so much!

Ive been moving around through the articles, bookmarking things, making a list and getting ready. I’m really looking forward to having the support from here and think I’m starting to figure out how the forum works. 
I’m also reading the Alan Carr book. Which I totally understand and it makes sense. I will say I’m a little disappointed he discourages the use of nicotine gum. I do understand the reasoning though. I had bought some this past week in preparation. I’m not so worried about letting that go and kind of think it will help me for a few days but now I’m just wondering if that is “junkie thinking”?

Im so tired of smoking. Ugh. 
Thank you for the I inspiration and being here!

JEM777

Jan-14

Your body doesn't NEED nicotine or cigarettes, but it has gotten used to them. When your body doesn't get what it wants, it will scream and cry and throw a toddler tantrum to get it. That is all junkie thinking, telling you that you can't live without your nicotine, you can't quit, you can't do this, it's too scary, etc. I never read (and have no desire to read) Carr's book. Cold-turkey isn't the only valid method of quitting and you're not lesser for choosing NRT to help you step down and finally be nicotine-free. I used Wellbutrin to help me quit (it's a dopamine uptake inhibitor so my dopamine stayed higher longer), allowing me to not feel the dopamine withdrawal as strongly. I chose not to do NRT because I didn't want to have to quit cigarettes and then go through another withdrawal when it was time to stop the NRT. 

Nicotine isn't "safe" but it is safer than smoking cigarettes. Nicotine still poses several health hazards and has been tied to bladder and throat cancers. There is an increased risk of cardiovascular, respiratory, gastrointestinal disorders. There is decreased immune response and it also poses ill impacts on reproductive health. It affects cell proliferation, oxidative stress, apoptosis, DNA mutation by various mechanisms which leads to cancer. It also affects tumor proliferation and metastasis and causes resistance to chemo and radiotherapeutic agents (read more at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4363846/).

That said, using NRT to get you past the behavioral addiction, then tackling the physical nicotine addiction later, is certainly an acceptable method. Whatever works to get you off cigarettes is going to improve your health.  I suggest doing what works for you but have a quit date for the NRT so you don't swap one addiction for another. However, there are plenty here who stopped smoking cigarettes and now either vape, patch, or use gum, and have for years. There is no "right" way to quit and nobody is better than you for quitting a different way. 

Loreficent

Jan-14

Thanks Jem!

That is great info and advice. It’s funny how some folks really feel that no NRT or other support is the only way. I think, as with many things, whatever way works for one is their way, whatever that may be. I really appreciate the validation of you saying nobody is a better quitter because of a certain way.

Carr’s book is interesting in some ways. Not as inspiring to me as it may be to some. I do like some info in it, but there is a lot of “doom” type stuff so far too which isn’t helpful for me. It is helpful for me to understand the addiction and addict voice rather than just see it as bad habit.

For me, I probably won’t actually have much of the gum, but think it will be helpful if I have the choice. Still waffling with myself on a date and definitely want it to be this month, and it will. I have one situation coming up next week that I think may be a big one to get through as it involves spending the day with a person who has no desire to quit. I really want to set myself up for success and be surrounded with good support and alone time if needed the first few days at least. I’m well aware there will always be something my mind can use to stall, but this is something with the ONLY person I’m around that smokes! Then I won’t be around them for some time after.