About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

How many Day Ones and Last Packs ??   General Chit-Chat

Started Jan-18 by Lizzie1979; 535 views.
Lizzie1979

Jan-18

Hi I’ve been on here for a couple of years with longest quit being two months. I need to get back on it and do this for me and my family. I’m dealing with chronic pain back issues and currently awaiting spinal surgery. I’ve just bought my last pack and need to be held accountable, hence this post. 

ModAndrea

Jan-19

Welcome back, Lizzie! It was too many Day Ones and Last Packs to count for me.  The key is to keep trying. 

Please join others in January 2020 New Ex-Smokers. Stop by and introduce yourself.

I also recommend your reading "Homework for New Ex-Smokers". The information is probably familiar to you, but sometimes a second (and third) read can make a huge difference.

I'm sorry to hear you have chronic back pain and wish you success with your upcoming surgery.

You can do this, Lizzie! I'm glad you're here. blush

Hugs,

Andrea

Brenda (1sept19)

Jan-21

Lizzie,

I agree with Andrea, too many for me to count.  But I kept trying and now it is sticking.  Don't worry about the past or tomorrow, just concentrate on today.  You can do this and you will be so glad you did, just hang in there and keep going.

Matt1961

Jan-21

This is truly an amazing addiction, isn't it?  I am on day 41 now, so still a vulnerable newbie to a certain extent.  I have had to attend cardio rehab 3 days a week since a heart event that I had which was no doubt brought on by my 40 plus years of smoking.  On my way to and from cardio rehab, I find myself making a mental note of every business establishment where I could stop and buy smokes.  I have never stopped, but I find myself making that mental note.  Isn't that pathetic?  In a sense, I am fighting for my life because of the smokes, and at the same time, I am making a note of all the places I could stop and buy more of what has come close to killing me.  Do you think I will ever be able to just drive by a gas station or convenience store and not think, "Hey, they have cigs in there."

SusanK1960

Jan-21

I certainly hope that we “newbies” come to a point where cigs do not dominate our life.  I have read messages on the forum where they forgot it was their quitting milestone, however, it was usually around 7 or 8 months.  Obviously it varies depending on people, however, long timers had to have gone thru the same thoughts, urges, cigarette domination and always say, it will get better, so I have to trust their experience.

DanJF3

Jan-21

Way too many last packs here to count.  I always bought just 1 or 2 packs at a time to try and limit myself a bit and be more aware of how much I smoked.  Also way too many days I intended to quit and just kept right on lighting up without much thought.

Today is my 3 week milestone and I have been well aware of it in a good way.  It's been many years since I could say that.  Some days are tougher than others but I do feel that it does get a bit easier with time.  I have a similar but different experience to what Matt said.  I don't think about all the places I could buy cigarettes but I definitely notice when I drive past the smoke shop that I always bought at.  It's right around the corner from my house so I literally pass it every day, sometimes 3-4 times.  The owner was always nice and gave me "preferred customer" rates on smokes so I was treated well but I have gotten to the point where I just note it and move on.  

I know the addiction can attack relentlessly at any time so got to be sure not to take the good days for granted.  Hang in there Lizzie and reach out for support as you need it.

Dan

Brenda (1sept19)

Jan-22

Matt1961 said:

Do you think I will ever be able to just drive by a gas station or convenience store and not think, "Hey, they have cigs in there."

Yes, you will, Matt.  This addiction does not want to let go, but eventually it does.  Be strong and keep going.  You are worth the work it takes.

JEM777

Feb-1

Hi Matt!

YES, in fact, you will be able to drive around without marking cigarette retailers. For me, it took over three months to get to that point. Now, my "favorite" nicotine dealer (gas station) is the only one around here with free air. I go there to fill up my slowly leaking right rear tire (I swear, I'm getting a new set soon!) and don't even think about buying cigarettes anymore.  When I used to think about cigarettes as I passed gas stations, I would shake my head and immediately correct myself with, "But I don't smoke anymore. Moving on!" and that helped me ignore the junkie thinking that a gas station was for anything more than snacks, drinks, fuel, and car washes. 

Jem

Smober since 1/31/2019

JEM777

Feb-1

SusanK1960 said:

long timers had to have gone thru the same thoughts, urges, cigarette domination and always say, it will get better, so I have to trust their experience.

I thought the same thing. I couldn't imagine a time when cigarettes didn't dominate my life or thinking. Sure, people said it would happen, but I really didn't believe them. And yet, I'm here to say that it does happen! Cigarettes don't dominate my life or thinking anymore. I'm done with them. They're in the past and I'm never going back there. I don't even think fondly of smoking anymore. It was a thing I did, and now I don't. I don't romanticize it. I was inhaling poison and cancer and now I enjoy life without doing so. 

Jem

Smober since 1/31/2019

turtles

Feb-1

I can honestly say the answer is yes to the question Do you think I will ever be able to just drive by a gas station or convenience store and not think, "Hey, they have cigs in there." I quit April 1, 2019. The first 3-4 months were hell.  Moody, anxious, mad. About 104 days in it began to change and hours and hours would go by without thinking of them. Now, it’s a passing thought once in a while but not in a craving or urge kind of way. I think of it when I post on here, or when I pass someone having one. Most days the word smoking doesn’t even come into my brain, and in groceries and gas stations I don’t even notice they sell them.  You can do this!!