About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

This Morning is Quit Day !!   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Feb-11 by MSouthDakota; 589 views.
MSouthDakota

Feb-11

Hi To Everyone! This morning at 8 am I'm putting the nicotine patch back on. I smoke around 30 cigarettes in 24 hours. I smoke the most in the middle of the night... Ridiculous... I should be sleeping. I have failed at quitting smoking over 50 times (not kidding) in the last 3 years. Yet, I want and need to TRY again. My husband smokes, as well. I have so many reasons to quit... After reading a lot of the material, I see that I have JUNKIE THINKING-- I always am thinking "Just One More" Than I'll stop. Also, due to the numerous times that I have failed (over 50) I tell myself when a craving hits that I will just end up giving in anyways, so why go through the agony? My thinking needs to change!! Anyways, I'd appreciate any advice or prayers. Thanks!!

CindiS319

Feb-11

Best of luck to you!  Just take it one day at a time and get through today.  You can do this!!!

Jpatrick1996

Feb-11

Congratulations on your decision to quit! Not an easy one.....I know.

I too had failed to make it much past a week or so, so many times. This time, with the incredible support received here on the forum, my own addiction seems to be losing!

I am now almost 7 months smoke free and can honestly tell you it is SOOOOO worth it! I also want to tell you that it does get easier (how could it get worse?) with time. I rarely think of smoking at this point, and when I do, it is just fleetingly.

I still pledge NOPE daily to remind me of the monumental battle I am winning to date.....I don't ever want to go back to smoking, or the inevitable early days of quitting again!

I sincerely wish you peace and success in your quit.

Patrick

Quit - July 16th, 2019

turtles

Feb-11

Congratulations early on your 7th month!!!!  Feels so good doesn’t it?

4/1/19

Jpatrick1996

Feb-11

Hello Turtles,

Thank you for your kind message. 

Yes, it feels great, on so many different levels! 

Patrick

Quit - July 16th, 2019

CindiS319

Feb-11

Turtles,

I'm so excited you'll be in the Club House in less than 2 months!!!!  Aren't you so proud of yourself!?!  You're doing great!  I know you had that small relapse and I don't think I could have done what you did.  Congratulations on 10 1/2 months!

candrew

Feb-11

Hello MSouthdacota-

How are you this glorious day?

I can see you generated this post at 5am. Did you get any sleep last night or did you stay up? I, like yourself am a night owl , going to bed at 10pm and waking up at 2 or 3, and smoking 1/2 pack of Marlboro's until my wife wakes up at 6am.

I can't say I have tried to quit 50 times but for sure 10 in the past 3 years. 

I hate to hear you say "when a craving hits that I will just end up giving in anyways, so why go through the agony?"

I know that you don't really feel that way. Who can be positive about such a killer ready to take you down? We have all the reasons to quit, any rational person would say NO MORE. Why do we have such a problem dealing with this. 

I think we know all the reasons. Unfortunately we are dealing with a highly addictive substance that renders us powerless. There are several medications that can be used to reduce cravings. but in the end I believe that you need to fight this one on one. This death to the weak one (nicotine).

This is a chart that I have written on relapse and solutions. Maybe it can help.

Quitting means:

Beating nicotine at a game that I have

played since I was 15

Overcoming the fear of living my

life cigarette free

Not missing so much in life

Healing smokers cough

Proving that I am stronger

than nicotine

Smelling like you, not like cigarettes

Common Triggers & Cravings

Boredom

Hyperactive

Smell of smoke

Sit at kitchen table

Drinking coffee

Talk on phone

Drive car

Watching a movie

After meal

To Do

Exercise

Walk

Water walking

Write

Listen to relaxing music

Play Piano

Call Friend

Run an errand

Walk the Dog

Take a drive

Water Aerobics

Sail your boat

candrew

ModDee

Feb-12

Congratulations on not giving up!

Hey there,

Quitting is not easy, but I believe that you can do this. You will have all the support and education about our addiction that will help you make it happen. The major key to winning this battle is to become educated about our addiction to nicotine.  The more you know what lies ahead in your cessation journey the better prepared you will be to tackle the rollercoaster ride that quitting smoking tends to be.  Around here we be believe that an educated quitted is a successful quitter.

Stay with us and read all you can around the forum starting with the first post in the Welcome February 2020 Ex-Smokers thread below.  Click on the link below to jump in with other people who are quitting this month along with you. They know exactly what you're going through and you guys can provide support for each other and from more experienced like-minded members.  It might just help you beat nicotine addiction for good.

Best wishes,

(((Hugs)))

In reply toRe: msg 8
MSouthDakota

Feb-12

Thank You so much!! I need as much help as I can get

cherbearquit

Feb-13

You can do this! I found that reading the various articles and other folks posts in this forum helped me get through some of the difficult moments. I still do! Take it one day at a time, drink lots of water, keep mints, gum etc. handy. Post if you need support. Pamper yourself because the beginning phase of quitting is like being sick. You need lots of rest and only do what you have to do. Some responsibilities can wait. I find great pointers in this forum by reading other people’s posts. Wishing you all the best! Remember NOPE!