About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Quit 11 12 19   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Feb-13 by Lulu1960; 403 views.
Lulu1960

Feb-13

Hi

I packed in smoking on 11th December 2019 - 64 Days !! But who's counting????? Lol I had a dreadful chest infection and really couldn't smoke a cigarette for about a week or more - so I really didn't notice the withdrawal period!! I do NOT want to start up again but the hardest part is that now I feel so well I am beginning to 'fancy' one!!! So far I have resisted!! Not easy but I am so determined!! I have never ever tried to give up before and have smoked for 45 years - I have never gone a day without one in all that time!! I smoked at one time 20 per day but cut that to 10/15 per day about 10 years ago!! 

So that's me! Hey Ho :) 

DebraAnne60

Feb-13

You're a non-smoker now!  Way to go.  Did you ever think about quitting  smoking?  This quite is a lot like mine.  I didn't really intend to quite I actually woke up and was so ill with some sort of 24 hour flu thing that I didn't smoke at all for about a week.  Then I thought, well this is a blessing,  and I decided to run with it since it seemed so easy.   Most of the people I've read on here have had to fight their way through to three days, then a week, then three weeks but, for me, it all seems a bit too easy.  I am going with it though.  One person on this forum called it 'smoking left me'.  Well now who could ask for anything more.  So, if you were even thinking of quitting, this quit is probably your window of opportunity to get out with some ease.  At least in the beginning.  I think tougher times may be ahead but the more distance I can get form my quit date, the more committed I am to keeping this going for life.  After all, its all about quality of life.  CHeers!

CindiS319

Feb-13

Good for both of you!!!  Definitely keep it going!!  Wish my early days were that easy!  Welcome to the forum too!  You'll find lots of great quit buddies here.

CC to Lulu1960
Eve1973

Feb-13

Hi Lulu, Congratulations, I’m on day 14, and am using the Chantix. Not having the craving to much, more while doing an activity that I associated with smoking, even just letting the dog outside, I would light up. But last night was the 1st time the dog had to tell ME she needed to go out. So it does get easier. 

Read this site a lot, even before you joined, great articles! Keep up the good work, and know that you are doing this to live healthy!

ModDee

Feb-13

Lulu1960 said:

I had a dreadful chest infection and really couldn't smoke a cigarette for about a week or more - so I really didn't notice the withdrawal period!! I

Hey Lulu,

Congratulations on 64 days!

I experienced something very similar. There is a phrase we use around here "Keep Your Memory Green"

I woke up one morning with a bad chest infection, and severe head cold doing something dumb; trying to light a cigarette. With the first deep intake of smoke I got that familiar but on that particular morning an extremely harsher burning sensation in my lungs. I was so tired of smoking, so angry with myself I threw the pack of cigarettes across the room, went to the fridge where I kept my carton of extra packs, walked them out to the alley by my house and threw them in the trash bin. To this day almost 17 years later I still can bring back the memory of the anger I felt and how I had reached a point where I truly hated smoking and that burning feeling.  I quit cold turkey which is not the choice for everyone LOL.  I still keep my memory green. However, this many years later I am not tormented by the addiction. You too will reach this place if you keep on doing what you're doing one day at a time making your quit your highest priority.

Keep your memory green!  Don't let the junky thinking of "Just One" creep in and cement itself.  There is no such thing as 'Just One" it's a lie!

Best wishes as you continue your cessation journey.

(((Hugs)))

• Edited February 13, 2020 6:08 pm  by  ModDee
ozimichele

Feb-13

Lulu

That was me exactly. Smoked since my 20’s, gave up once years ago but didn’t last. Got pneumonia 5 weeks ago & couldn’t get out of bed let alone smoke so decided might use that as the catalyst to stop all together. Did have a few puffs during initial weeks so consider my quit date to be 3rd as not one puff since. I am using patches, lowest level & only few cravings but they are full on when they come. But finding I am very moody & fidgety. Really like these forums though cos people are real & honest & don’t talk rubbish. 

Lulu1960

Feb-14

Hi

No never ever wanted to pack in as a I liked doing it so much!! Lol It's taking a bit of getting use to but I'm IN now!! How long until I am classed as a non-smoker I wonder Lol Cheers 

In reply toRe: msg 5
Lulu1960

Feb-14

Thank You :) 

Lulu1960

Feb-14

I fancy a 'puff' but I am resisting!! :) 

Lulu1960

Feb-14

I have a little E-cig (not a tank thing) I keep it with me 'just in case' it looks like a cigarette - mint flavour - but I hardly use it! It's not the same as a ciggie Lol but it is handy!