About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

5 YEARS TODAY !   One Year and Beyond Milestones

Started Feb-18 by lm2015; 1079 views.
lm2015

Feb-18

Yes, 5 years smoke free today and what an amazing journey this has been.  The rough start for about 16 months for me is over.  I know everyone  feels relief from the withdrawal, triggers and cravings at different times.  For me, it was at about that 16 month mark.  That's when I didn't think of smoking every minute of the day.  It became less and less.  I think it's because I was a real addict.

Then as time went on, it became easier.  Yes.  It does get easier.  i never believed that either, but it did.  

Joining this forum was a benefit.  I was so lost at the time searching the web for something/someone to help me.  At that time I was into my 6th month of struggles.  I found the forum and registered.  Being so confused about how it works and how to move around in it, I posted a new subject and got a reply from Mod Marge and later from Steve.  We are in the Freedom Marchers 2015 group.  They stayed by my side and walked me through the procedure and accepted me into their group.  There wasn't any February 2015 group.  

That was the day my real beginning started.  I found friends who understood my suffering.  We were all going through the same thing.  I had no one at home who supported me, but they all hounded me to quit for years and then when I did and it was lasting, they did not say a word.  Oh, yes, they did feel it shouldn't be that hard and had no understanding, so I didn't have anyone to talk to.

I would wake up each morning and immediately turn on my PC and be so excited to share my day with my friends.  Then I found others and we had communication off and on all day.  I was recovering from surgery from a broken leg in 2 places, so I was kind of home bound.

We are all still friends and communicate through e-mail generally every day.

I will admit that I can't stand the smell of smoke.  I can smell someone smoking when I'm walking into a store, etc.  All I need to do is look around and sure enough, there they are.  I can smell smoke on someone who is a smoker while passing them by.  Did I smell like that?  Sure.  No wonder my son always said "you stink."

I tried 5 times to quit in the past and they seemed to last about 12 weeks and when the depression got bad, I'd grab a smoke and I knew that would stop it.  This time I fought through it with support.  Also, I remembered my 7 year old grand daughter come into the garage one day and said "Grandma, why do you do that?"  "Do you know it's no good for you?"  Something she learned in school.  What an embarrassment.  I couldn't give her a solid reason.

So, didn't mean to ramble.  Just wanted to give all of you encouragement that this can be done, but it is a difficult journey.  If you accomplish it, you will be so proud of yourself.  I am.

Laura

Quit date:  February 18, 2015

In reply toRe: msg 1
Eve1973

Feb-18

Thanx for sharing! I hope to be in your shoes in 2025! It seems everyone’s journey is different in when they don’t think of smoking everyday, but if you dismiss and stay strong we could be in your shoes someday! 

congrats Eve 1/30/2020

Congratulations on hitting 5 Years of freedom Laura!!!!!

You earned your freedom and now others are tackling this wicked drug addiction too. They can do it just like you did. You've warned your wings! You will definitely inspire others to just keep on NOPING everyday. Nice job!

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 203

Gersheps

Feb-18

Hi, Laura,

Thanks for the shout-out.  Glad I was able to help.  Have you selected your wings yet?

Steve

cherbearquit

Feb-18

Congrats on 5 years! That is awesome, and you should be so proud of yourself!  Those of us who are in the beginning of this journey can totally understand the trials and tribulations of finally kicking this habit. Your post is an inspiration for us all. Wishing you all the best!

Quit 12/6/19

AnnieXS

Feb-18

Hi Laura:

Congratulations on 5 years!!!!  I knew it was coming up, and here it is. :)

You are an inspiration to so many who start off, just like we did, wondering if we could really do it.  Your success story will give newbies the confidence and motivation to stay the course, no matter how tough it gets that first year.  

AnnieXS

Quit May 8, 2015

Hey Laura,

Congrats again on your big 5 year milestone.  We are so proud of you.

In reply toRe: msg 7
Denim50

Feb-20

Hey Laura, 

Big congratulations to you on your wonderful achievement!  Five years is amazing and so much to be proud of. This is not only a amazing accomplishment for yourself, it is also a inspiring accomplishment to others following behind you. Thank you so much for sharing this and encouraging others. I hope you had a wonderful day celebrating and I wish you the best as you continue forward. Have a great day.   

• Edited February 20, 2020 3:24 pm  by  Denim50
ModDee

Feb-20

Congratulations on 5 years of freedom Laura.  I am so excited to see you reach this awesome achievement.  I am honored to have been able to witness the incredible strength and resolve you exhibited to reach your goal. You make us all happy and proud.  

(((Hugs)))

lm2015

Feb-20

Thanks you.  You and others were also one of my biggest helps and support through this early journey.

I love the color yellow also.

Thanks all and everyone for your wonderful words of congratulations.

Laura