About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Maybe this time   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Feb-18 by ChrisMH; 901 views.
ChrisMH

Feb-18

After 38 years and more than a few attempts, I woke up 2 weeks and 2 days ago (2.1.20) and smoked 1/2 a cigarette. Something in my mind changed at that moment. I put out the cigarette and have been winning so far.  The battle is mainly with the sneakiness of the addiction. I'll be fine and then bam, big urge.  I've been able to shake it off but my dentist will probably not be happy with my pocket full of fireballs and candy kisses with the almonds inside.  I find letting the chocolate dissolve and then chewing the almond is helpful.  I'm feeling more determined than before. Wish me luck.

Hi there Chris,

Welcome.  One of the things we say around here is that 'if you want to change your life, you have to change your mind'.  It looks like you changed your mind about smoking and that is the first step.  I smoked about as long as you did and quitting was the best thing I ever did for myself.  Hope you will join the February Ex-Smokers group.  I recommend you start at the beginning of the thread and read though.  It is packed full of information and tips to beat nicotine addiction,

ChrisMH

Feb-19

Thank you for the feedback. I've been reading through. Yes, a lot of good information.  I have not had a drink of alcohol or coffee during this time. I miss all but I see them as to closely connected to mess with for now.  Triple cold turkey but I feel good mind and body so I'm focusing on that. I have stress like most and tell myself if/when I succeed I will be a much stronger person.

Hi Chris,

I did the same with coffee for awhile after I quit then slowly reintroduced coffee and rearranged the chairs in my living room so I was not sitting in the chair I used to smoke in.  The first few cups were tough.  I got cravings like crazy but slowly that trigger disappeared.  

You are doing great!

ChrisMH

Feb-19

Hmm, may have to try that. I do miss my morning coffee. I may try some tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. I promise I won't give in.

Eve1973

Feb-19

Welcome Chris, and congrats on deciding to take your life back! I’m a newbie also.... today is day 20  for me.. support here is great!  

Pledge NOPE everyday! ( Not one puff ever) , read others posts and know you are not alone. We are going through the same issues! 

Keep up the good work! 

Eve 1/30/2020

cherbearquit

Feb-19

Congrats on over 2 weeks! You are doing great! Don’t worry about the candies, do what works for you. I started with sugar/free mints and cinnamon red hots. lol!  I always have ice cold water handy as well. There are tons of great articles in this forum to read. Any time I am having a difficult day, I come here and read articles and/or other people’s posts. It helps to know you are not going through this alone and that the many quirky things you experience along the way are normal. Post any time you need support! Stay strong and remember NOPE!

Hey Chris,

The kisses with almonds were a favorite of mine too.  I gained 20 lbs. when I quit but have since lost it all.

ChrisMH

Feb-21

Great job. Way to stick to it.  Each night after work I miss a smoke but I've been able to shove it aside and it seems to be forgotten a bit quicker. Unfortunately it returns. The best part is waking tomorrow and being proud that I didn't give in and another day is behind me. 

We're about the same time frame. Reach out any time.  

ChrisMH

Feb-21

Thank you. It does help knowing others are battling and winning. Beating the moments of desire are in a way harder but not having to feel the constant desire is better.