About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

New Member   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Feb-24 by PeafowlRise; 589 views.
PeafowlRise

Feb-24

Hello All! I am new to the group. My quit date was January 31st. I relapse February 7th and started all over again February 8th. I hadn’t realized how much I internalized emotionally until I quit. And it seemed like everything that could go wrong in my life was happening all at once. So far reading articles and educating myself has helped me stay on track. But I needed a little more real-time support. Which is why I am here. I look forward to continuing this new smoke free life with you all.

Eve1973

Feb-24

Hi Pea,  Congratulations on your decision to enjoy a healthier life. I am new also, but I really think this forum helps because everyone here in the February group knows what you are going through! 

I would read the articles, other posts and post a lot! I have failed in the past also, but this time feels different because of this group!

Pledge NOPE everyday (Not one puff EVER) and Welcom!

Eve 1/30/2020

SusanK1960

Feb-24

Hi PR,

Welcome to the forum!  The first advise is drink iced water thru a straw.  For me, that gets rid of a crave the best without calories or caffeine. 
Second was changing my mindset. Here’s an article that will help.

https://www.verywellmind.com/mind-games-go-both-ways-when-you-quit-smoking-2824894

We all want us all to be successful at quitting, so stay close to the forum! Someone here knows what you are going thru!

cherbearquit

Feb-24

Congrats on your decision to quit! This forum has lots of great articles to read and there are always folks here that understand what you are going through.  I find that drinking lots of ice cold water helps me as well as sugar free mints. Anytime I am experiencing a difficult time, I read articles and other folks posts and respond to others who may be having a hard time. I find this helps take my mind off of any negative thoughts.  You have made it past the 2 most difficult weeks, so now it is a matter of slowly defeating the mental part of the quit process. Always remember when you are having a bad day, that it WILL pass and it WILL get easier in time. Each time you face a new trigger, you will be stronger. Be sure to read the articles that talk about how to deal with cravings and stress. Also about HALT (hungry, angry, lonely/bored and tired) when you feel like you are craving, are you really feeling one of those things you can remedy?  Every time you experience something the first time as a non-smoker, it could make you experience a craving. This could include feelings, events, holidays, seasons, people and places, etc. Just think for a minute what is causing you to feel it, recognize it for what it is, realize you are now stronger for breaking that link in the chain and move on feeling proud of yourself! You can do this! Best wishes to you! 

Quit 12/6/19

JDNope

Feb-24

cherbearquit said:

Every time you experience something the first time as a non-smoker, it could make you experience a craving. This could include feelings, events, holidays, seasons, people and places, etc. Just think for a minute what is causing you to feel it, recognize it for what it is, realize you are now stronger for breaking that link in the chain and move on feeling proud of yourself!

That is brilliant and so true. Well said, Cher.

ModDee

Feb-25

Good morning PeafowlRise,

Welcome to the forum.  How are you today?  Click on the link title below and it will take you to the Welcome February 2020 ExSmokers thread.  This is where all the folks quitting in February will join in with other folks quitting in February to share experiences and support each other.  Lots of experienced quitters including forum moderators will also drop by to give encouragement and support.  Be assured that you are welcome to view any thread and post anywhere on the forum that you find interesting, just wanted you to know where your February quit buddies home base will be located. 

As you already seem to understand education about our addiction is a major part of your cessation journey.  Start reading from the first post.  There will be many articles of information and sharing of experiences that will benefit you. 

(((Hugs)))

Loreficent

Feb-25

Hi there Peafowl!

Welcome...how is the day going for you? 
Wow...February 8th is a grand day to have quit. Look how far you are! I’m sitting here wishing I was that far already!

Strong work.

SusanK1960

Feb-25

Hi,

Patience as this is  a journey, not a hike.  One day at a time, don’t look back and only look forward to imagine yourself as a non smoker!  There are people who haven’t even started due to fear, so you are already ahead of some!

Loreficent

Feb-28

Thank you Susan. I just reread this. I’m bookmarking it as it is a good meditation and I see the wisdom.

Thanks for sharing your strength. 

CHADDRAK

Feb-28

The first few days are the worst but nothing is forever... time will heal you.... with some help and love you will do it... I'm into my 4th month but I'm very confident that I'm done for good... I quit on oct 10 2019 at 10PM after 15 years smoking... my baby boy was born the next morning  and he is my addiction now... my advice is to look inside.. find a good reason to quit and hold on to it and never let go... I tried many many times to quit int he past.... a lot... relapsed a few others. I'm tired of this drama, of having to buy cigarettes every day and before going camping making sure I had enough cigarettes.. and having  to smoke outside to avoid the second hand smoke on my preggo wife, I said the heck with all this, to stop that tiny little stinky tube to control my life, to wake me up in the middle of the night and having me stay up late smoking, and always making sure that I had enough for the day. I'm back in control again and so can you