About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

You can do this!    General Chit-Chat

Started Feb-25 by Rassister; 291 views.
Rassister

Feb-25

Two years ago today at 10:00AM I had four cigarettes in my pack.  I had been thinking about quitting for several years.  I had been in this very position so many times I lost count.   “I was going to quit smoking after this pack”.   I was pacing the floor.  It was almost 11:00AM!   I had my big coat ready to go outside.   It was about 20 degrees out.  I could not wait until it was “time to go out and have another one”.  Time stood still. I got nothing accomplished!!!  It was a vicious cycle.   If you are reading this and trying to quit. You know what I am talking about.   FINALLY, at 2:PM  on 2/25/2018, I smoked my last cigarette and I cried.   I cried more.  My brain went into overdrive justifying one more trip to get just one more pack.  Somehow, I had misplaced my keys.  Then I experienced panic.  Then I found the keys. Such relief.   I do not remember the rest of the day.   I was miserable but I was exhausted as well.  I did not feel like going out in the cold to get more.   I think I went to bed early and woke up the next morning at 6:00AM.   I had made it 16 hours without a cigarette!   It was a record, though a short one.  I started pacing again. I could not turn off my brain.  I got on the forum.  (I had been a member for two years). I was not a practicing member.  I found the February 2018 Musquiteers..  First, I started reading suzies posts. Then I found Becca.  Long story short, I spent the day pacing the floor or reading the February Mustquitteers 2018 page. I cried, I laughed, I panicked, and I watched the clock!   One side of my brain said “This is the longest you have gone without smoking in 40 years. The other side of my brain said things I cannot write on this forum.  It took me four days to get the courage to introduce myself to the March, 2018 group.  I was a Hot MESS but I had not smoked one cigarette in 4 days!   It was a miracle.  It was a nightmare . I was shocked. I was so proud.  I cried. I laughed . I never left my house the first week. I took off from work for three days.  I tell you this story because if you are in the beginning, middle or end of your quit, you can probably relate to what I just shared with you.   I grabbed on tight to Mod Marge and all the other quit buddies in February, March, April, May, June etc,   These were my lifeline.  Instead of  looking for a cigarette, I could not wait to find my friends.  They were and still are my support system.  They will forever be close to my heart because they helped me be successful in the hardest thing I have ever accomplished in my life.  I am proud to share with all of you that I have been smoke free for two years today.  It is my proudest accomplishment.   My advice to you is this.............  Dont ever stop trying because it is so worth it!   We need to change our minds and believe that we can and will do this no matter how many times we think we cannot.  To all of my fellow quitters in 2018, 2019 and now 2020, thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking my hand and leading me to this place Of peace and freedom.  To all of you still fighting the fight, Let this forum become your new addiction.  It will save your life.  I am now proud to be sitting on the second floor of the wonderful clubhouse with all of those who arrived before me.  I cannot wait to see the rest of you arrive.  Denim, Cyndi, Susie, Gloria,, Brian Kuzno, Michele, and all the others who are a part of my journey.  The cake and food are in the oven. I’m out by the pool if you are looking for me. 
Peace

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! You are now 2 Full Years Quit and now have an 80% chance of remaining quit for life. You've proven that you are no sissy!! Way to Go!

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

Brenda (1sept19)

Feb-25

Congratulations Marilyn.  2 years is awesome and wonderful. So happy for you.

Jatchat

Feb-25

Congratulations Marilyn, I hope to be where you are one day. 

Kind regards

Anthony 

Belinda2019

Feb-25

Congratulations!!! I cannot wait to be where you are now

Hi Marilyn,

Big congratulations on 2 years.   What a great post.   It will encourage so many who may be struggling right now.

Best wishes and let your party rock on.

Rassister

Feb-25

Thanks Debbie.  Feels good. Looking for a personal trainer now to lose some of this weight.   Moving on to year 3. 

Rassister

Feb-25

You will be Anthony.   So glad to see you on here.   One minute, one hour, one day at a time.   You can do this.  

Rassister

Feb-25

Will never forget you Marge.  You held my hand and dragged me out of  my misery more than a few times.  It was so worth it.  

Rassister

Feb-25

You are coming up to number 5!!!!  
A big congratulations to you as well.  
peace