About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Tricky Dream   General Chit-Chat

Started Feb-25 by Amicahomi; 258 views.
Amicahomi

Feb-25

Almost 11 months smoke free and had 1st smoking dream.  So real, I questioned whether I had been cheating all this time.  I have not.  No cigs anywhere near me since 4/2/19.  Also, I have no desire to ever smoke again - the idea actually makes me nauseous.  This just illustrates how smoking worms its way into a brain.  Yuk!

Eve1973

Feb-25

Congrats Ami,

Already had my 1st dream and not even a month in! But glad to know that you have gotten this far and should watch for the nicodemon to pop up any time!

Today went through my 1st high stress struggle (friend in hospital) first response, smoke to calm down. But resisted and ate a lot of mints! 

Early congrats on 11months take care NOPE

EVE

ModAndrea

Feb-26

Hi, Amicahomi!

Early congratulations on eleven months! Awesome!

I've had those smoking dreams, too. I would wake up feeling so guilty. It took a while to realize it was just a dream. What a relief.

Have a spectacular smoke free day!

Hugs,

Andrea

Amicahomi

Feb-26

Thanks for your good wishes.  NOPE and hugs back at yous. 

I think the powerful brain worm can probably be used against craves, as well.  My dream was lucid, and I trashed the butt in it.  A friend who is expert in these matters says to"set the intent" for dreams to help before going to sleep.  Also, I wonder if anyone here uses ASMR (autonomous sensory meridian response) as a therapy. This is the phenomenon where some people get all hypno'ed out by binaural whispering, clicking and other sounds, as well as certain music and visual triggers (think Enya and that beer ad on tv).

CC to Eve1973
Loreficent

Feb-26

Hmmm is this the same as the binaural meditations on YouTube? I’m very curious about that...

Amicahomi

Feb-26

Yup.  YT's full of "ASMR divas".  They don't do much for me, but some other triggers do, and I've often thought there must be a therapeutic application here for those who can experience the "tingles".  I once worked in a counseling capacity where, to my chagrin, some clients' voices would set me off.  Also much music and some medicines.  Better to tingle than smoke :-)

Loreficent

Feb-26

So do you mean the binaural thing is supposed to help some but is a trigger for you? 
Have any thoughts on the self hypnosis things on YT for smoking cessation?

Im curious but also leery as I don’t know how to tell if they are good sources for such a thing!

Thank you!

Amicahomi

Feb-26

Hi Loreficent. 

ASMR is a pleasurable experience of tingling that some, but not all, people experience under various conditions.  Not saying "triggers" here as a negative - just the thing that starts the experience.  My experiences have been mostly spontaneous.  I find the  ASMR artists' videos annoying but alot of people get hooked on them.  In my opinion, ASMR is a neutral phenomenon, but could become a problem for someone seeking to escape into it.  However, I'm not an expert qualified to judge. 

I think of all hypnosis as self induced, but not expert about that either. 

Nothing to fear, but good to be aware, like any other mental habit.

Best wishes for your quit :-)