About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

630 Cigarettes    General Chit-Chat

Started Mar-26 by JerseyDee; 293 views.
JerseyDee

Mar-26

Well .. I do not have one of those handy apps that a lot of people seem to have but just quickly calculated how many cigarettes I have given up for not having smoked for the past 21 days .. at at 30 a day which I used to smoke I have not put pollution of 630 cigarettes into my body!  That number was really alarming to me and brought me some delight ...

I am happy about that and it encourages met to keep going and and going and going.

My body is now a smoke free vessel and I am all the healthier for it.

I also suspect that some symptoms I had last week that I *may* have had the virus but my immune system was able to keep it at minor symptoms.  When the test become  available where you can test to see if you had it and are now immune to it I feel near certain I will test positive on that.  If I was still smoking I do not know if my result would have been the same.

So .. if that proves to be true than all the MORE reason to be relieved to have gotten this icky monkey off my back!

Keep safe and healthy everyone.  And keep stress free and smoke free.  I will continue to encourage where I can if I can .. and I thank you for your support as well.  We ARE doing this together! 

Hi Dee.

Thant's great.  All those cigs you did not smoke and all the money you saved.

Here is a link to the Silk Quit ap if you would like it. Hope the link works.  It's the one I use and looked at it at 5 yrs and have not smoked 36,000 cigs -so scary to even think about.

https://www.silkquit.org/quit-meter

JerseyDee

Mar-26

Wow .. that is a crazy high number.  Thanks for the link to the ap .. I will see if I can figure out how much $ I have saved so far .. they were $7.80 a pack when I quit a few weeks back but now from what I understand the same brand (which is generic btw .. Mavericks) are up to $10 a pack here now.

Based on that price I am saving $15 a day x 21 days and that's quite the bit of change!   Crazy.

Loreficent

Mar-26

Wow Marge. That is a staggering and sobering number! Way to go!! 
Inspiring too for sure. 

Matt1961

Mar-26

At 30 a day, you were as heavy a smoker as I was.  It turned out to be more than my body could handle, but I had to figure that out the hard way.  You are about 10 years younger than me and a whole lot smarter to quit when you are at your age before your body makes you do it.

You deserve to be so proud of what you have done.  Be sure to hang on to this quit like your life depends on it . . . because it really kinda does!!

Loreficent

Mar-26

Well, hi PDX Matt!

Good to see you on here. How is everything over your way? 
Funny to see PDX so quiet. Hope you’re staying away from folks!

Im close if you need a hand with anything, just holler!

Matt1961

Mar-26

Hi PDX Lore,

I have not been far.  I get on here periodically and lurk.  It helps me to know I am not alone in this fight.

Since I am self-employed, I am not one of the many unemployed that we have here in Oregon.  In fact, just the opposite - I am still working away.  Watching what is happening out there has been interesting, to say the least.  This needs to end soon, or a lot of dominoes are soon to fall!!  I am sure it is that way all over the country.

I hope you are doing well.  From what I have been reading on here, you are nailing this quit thing.  Congratulations!!

SusanK1960

Mar-26

Hey Matt,

That’s good news that you are still able to work, since we have already established that you are not able to cut back due to other pressures. Did you have to cut back your workforce or are you the only employee?  Are you able to work from home?  Use protection!  (Which at this time  means 20 seconds hand washing and not touching face)

Loreficent

Mar-26

It’s funny, I’ve been reading on here since mid-January. Started “playing with quitting “ beginning of February and would go 2 days and stop. Then on the 23rd I said just gonna see about getting beyond 3 days, just gotta lean in. All this COVID stuff was still just heating up. Of course, in hindsight, like many or even most here, got a few days of momentum going and started thinking to myself, “why the heck didn’t I do this sooner?” But, now, just keep saying it doesn’t matter where I’ve been but where I’m going! The COVID stuff is definitely incentive for all of us too I think. But beyond that, and we will get beyond this (hopefully alive) this board has been tremendous with support and motivation! I’m so happy I stumbled on it. Am thinking I will give the site to my doctor to give out as a resource. 
I think about a smoke a few times a day, but truly do not miss it or pine for it. I hope that isn’t yet to come. If it is I’ll get through it with a little help from my friends here.

Yes, the state of things is concerning everywhere. The bottom line is though, I do believe that “flattening the curve” is essential to all of us. The US economy has recovered from some tremendous stuff. I pray it will this as well, but, bottom line, we gotta get a handle on this. We have to be patient with the process. It will work. Health of communities is what will bring health back overall. 
I don’t know what I’m talking about all that much, but trying to stay positive!!

Staying in the moment has been the best tool for me for not smoking.

JerseyDee

Mar-27

Good Morning Matt ... Yes it seems I was smoking all the time ... Lighting up at moments of feeling overwhelmed and streesed to moments of feeling excitement and happiness ..  And everthing in between .. Just smoke, smoke, smoke ... How gross when I think about now.

I am proud of my accomplishemt over the past 22 days and thank you fir saying so.  Those who have quit longer .  like you .. Are an inspiration.  Thank you.

Have a pleasaeny smoke free Friday today.