About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Day One   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Mar-28 by starlght5837; 1071 views.
starlght5837

Mar-28

Hi, everyone 

I'm a 70 year old woman.  Smoked 51 years.  I live alone and newly diagnosed with colon cancer but surgery is on hold because of coronavirus.  Smoking is something that I can control, so I'm hanging my hat on focusing on the quit process.   

DebraAnne60

Mar-28

Welcome to the Forum - where do you hale from.

JerseyDee

Mar-28

Why hello and welcome to this forum.  You will find a lot of support here .. we are on this life altering journey together.

Sorry about the colon cancer diagnosis : ( .. hopefully when things get back to normal and you have surgery they will fully eradicate that. 

You are making a very wise decision to quit smoking now though with both, cancer and with COVID-19 in the air.

Read through the posts yow will find them very helpful and I encourage to write a lot and document your journey.  I have found this extremely helpful to me.  I am 4 weeks in and I owe a lot to this the support on this forum.

Have you ever quit before?  The first few days will be tough but it does get eaiser.

- Deana

3/5/20 - Stopped the polluting of my body.

JerseyDee

Mar-28

HI DebrAnne - I just tried to send you a PM now that I am getting used to how that all works but I don't think it went through.  Just wondering how you are doing today as you haven't posted as much as usual and hoping all is well in Ontario today.

starlght5837

Mar-28

Hi,  Thank you.  I'm kinda in the Chicago area in northwest Indiana 

starlght5837

Mar-28

Thank you.  I've tried many times, but never made it past a day or two.  

Eve1973

Mar-28

Hi Star,

Welcome yo the forum! I think you will find it useful and also a lifeline to people who are or have gone through what you are experiencing. 

Have you quit cold turkey or using something? How long have you been quit? Read this forum a lot and you get many different perspectives of what to expect while quitting! 

So sad that your surgery was put on hold, I would’ve thought that would be a surgery needed! I know the hospitals every where are overwhelmed. 
We are here often so please reach out when have a question or a craving. 

Eve 1-30-2020

SusanK1960

Mar-28

Hi Star,

Welcome to this forum! May I suggest reading a book that helped with getting me into a quitting mindset?  It is Allen Carr Easy Way to Quit. I have attached the link: http://prdupl02.ynet.co.il/ForumFiles_2/15119301.pdf

It also helped me understand smoking is an addiction, not a habit, and why I have been unsuccessful is quitting in the past.

ModAndrea

Mar-29

Welcome to the forum, Starlght! Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking! I'm sorry to hear of your cancer diagnosis, but taking this big step is a positive move as you await surgery.

I smoked for 40 years and tried quitting too many times to count. This forum made all the difference. With the support and information I received here, I was able to quit for good over six years ago.

Please join others in our March 2020 New Ex-Smokers quit buddy group. Stop by and introduce yourself. I recommend you read the entire discussion beginning with the first post to familiarize you with the other members and take advantage of the advice and information.

You can do this Starlght! I'm glad you're here. blush

Hugs,

Andrea

• Edited March 29, 2020 9:47 am  by  ModAndrea
BettyGrif

Mar-29

Hi all,  well...my first day I fell off the wagon by 2pm, but, I don’t care. Today is a new day and I’m starting again. I know what triggered me. I have nicotine replacement available which I’m going to use. I am getting back on the horse again!  I have no more cigarettes (fished them out of the trash yesterday)

I will beat this!  I appreciate the support of this forum and welcome your encouragement. I’m not going to slink away because of my setback!

Betty