About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First 10 days review   General Chit-Chat

Started May-6 by Musivore; 13702 views.
In reply toRe: msg 102
Loreficent

Jun-6

Today is D-Day.

Wow... when I think about the struggles in the past 76 years...

How far we have come in many ways, and how few steps we have taken in so many other ways, it is unsettling. We managed to be such a tremendous force and ally in the liberation of so many in a profound anti-fascist movement. Yet...we remain so profoundly accepting and unchanged in so many other ways. I’m left to wonder what advice those that died on the beaches of Normandy would have for us now? Would they raise their fists and cry for change? Would they be standing at the ready to be called to the streets on their own soil? 

Just because we quit smoking does not mean we must stop thinking. To all of those that fought before us, thank you. You have liberated me enough to make healthier choices for myself in many ways. 

Today John still stands and he gives me hope and peace as I continue on my journey as a warrior for, with, and against other demons, of which nicotine is only one of many. Perhaps in reality nicotine has so far been the most easily defeated. 
Whatever your battle today...stay strong and believe we are stronger together. 

livtoswim

Jun-8

well said! 

Your a very nice writer. 

Have a nice week

Loreficent

Jun-9

Thank you DJ. 

Mostly ramblings from a fellow addict, caught up in constant thought and reflection. Sometimes pertaining directly to smoking, sometimes indirectly, and sometimes not so much at all but coming from a need to express, often that which smoking suppressed. Never intended with malice. Always with the hope to provoke thought, inspire strength, console, or comfort...and largely to be taken as a distraction from smoking for others and distraction for and from myself as well.

In reply toRe: msg 105
Loreficent

Jun-9

Wandering the acrid smoke filled streets of Seattle, I ponder on “choosing my confessions” and on how to come here to profess...

I pause on The Hill to reflect for a moment on the importance of Joy.

A sort of third eye cinema for personal growth. A sort of candid introspection caught in still-life. 

A sort of Love, frozen in snippets of foggy memory and lost in the smoke. As the synapses fire indefinitely, the picture, perhaps, becomes further from the truth.

Yet it is a picture that is clung to like seeds on the head of a dandelion. Like the global ecosystem clings to biodiversity and the city clings to diversity. Like a mother or father might cling to their child. 

Tearful.

Grateful.

In awe of a moment of fleeting transcendence. It is a picture of joy. A picture of happiness. And while felt only briefly, what a happiness it was.

A soft touch to the trees...the trees that have seen more than is often imaginable. A firm hand to the soil, the soil which cradles the essence of our lives even after the smoke settles.

A gentle finger, held out to capture a drop of water from the surge of rain. A gentle kiss to the stone. The stone that holds our shared history.

Forever grateful for our history. Forever tearful for our losses. The Earth and her people are my soul, and my soul cries out in anguish...

But within the sorrow, there is retreat. The synapses fire...a momentary respite.

A picture of Joy.

A familiar moment, painted with acrid smoke and yet still with numinous perfection, and freed of the confines of a singular reality.

For it is not, necessarily, the truth of memory that is important. It is but a picture of that which is needed. That which is clung to. Hoped for. Loved. Lost.

And found again.

I’ll finish this pack and come back again. It is not about strength for me. Today, it is just about being with something familiar and known. 

Elizaquits

Jun-10

Lore, 

Beautiful. 

"For it is not, necessarily, the truth of memory that is important. It is but a picture of that which is needed."  This reminds me of Richard Hofstadter's "memory is the thread of personal identity, history of public identity". 

Have you finished the pack/ready to come back?

Loreficent

Jun-10

Hey thanks...I’ll have to read that.

Didnt finish, smoked 8 total and threw them away next morning. So...

Yeah, I’ll write more about it soon.

Thanks for checking in. You are doing great!

Loreficent

Jun-11

I did check on the Agave (aka: John) last night and he is STILL tall. So, glad to see. 
How you doing still off the patch? 

euknight

Jun-11

Ok got it, sweet Lori.

Your introspection transcends mine for sure but I can ( finally since the fog has cleared).  follow your musings; ever digging down searching for a root perhaps that keeps the weeds from coming up.

So all of that put aside, you were going to see your stepson to get the starter.  What transpired there?

You attended the protest in Portland.  What there?

Seems to me that D day (June 4 post) perhaps were the beginnings of planning the relapse.  Just throwing that out there.  Not trying to analyze, more about my own experience trying to connect. I just see a soft falling through space with your words starting there.  Btw....the greenery is spectacular there....such an amazing blend of texture.  I love that.

I am all too familiar with retreat and sadness, a pastime of mine I have to monitor like a vulture watching, watching to see if any of the moving mammals are dying so it can swoop down for a bite.  Yep.

So on this seesaw of joy and sorrow who will be the winner.  Sometimes the desire for smoke free joy is so hard to grasp.  What better way to celebrate?  Then there is sorrow.....always the most welcome partner to a smoke or 20.  That shadow world just has a way of welcoming in the smoke with open arms.  They once again masquerade as a long lost love and how appealing the escape.

How many other enemies have you welcomed in with open arms?  If like me, too many to count.  Let’s look at the triggers, sista, seriously.  Then perhaps a look at escapes that do not include 20 tobacco filled cylinders in a soft or hard backed box?  I have admitted to myself no matter how many memories, hurts, experiences I have addressed I have to have escapes.  For me it just can not be cigarettes anymore.  I just can’t stand to look at myself in the mirror as a smoker.  I can’t.  I can’t

Im here for you if you want to look deeper anytime.  I am also here to talk about nothing and everything.  No doubt you are recovering from the battle wounds.  That is a good thing.  The skin grows back healthier than before and you keep doing what works for you smoke free.  Do not surrender to the enemy.  There are so many here that have your back.  Rest and take care of your own, please?  We are not going anywhere.

Hugs,

Peggy

5-8-20

Loreficent

Jun-11

No, D-Day was good as far as not smoking or thinking about it much, or was thinking about quitting in a very positive way actually. I did go downtown after work, yes, as I have every night for a while now. Around smokers a bit down there, but easy to walk away too...from the cigarettes and weed (legal here) anyway. There was the inevitable inescapable smoke of other sorts that could not be avoided but that is expected if one chooses to partake in these events and stays long enough. That...as I call it acrid smoke, sucks but is transient, and certainly doesn’t spark a desire for cigarettes. And though I had someone offer me a smoke, readily said “no, thanks” and felt good doing that too.

Seattle was different. I lived there for 10 years at a very interesting time of my life and went to University there. Still kind of processing what flipped my switch briefly. Will come back to it as I certainly don’t want it to be left with the spiraling sort of feeling that post has for some. I also don’t want to inspire anyone to smoke, no matter how briefly. But yeah, delving deeper and giving and getting clarification, as with most things, will likely be useful....? 
Good news...didn’t finish those even though in that moment I thought I would, and interestingly...so far...it seems to have been even more of release. 
Battle wounds are another story I won’t go into here. Suffice it to say, our nation is a big battle wound that is resonating around the world. Any I might have pale so drastically in comparison that it would not even be fitting to write about in that context. 
I LOVE you vulture analogy. Will definitely expound on that with your permission, of course.

And yes...my stepson gave me a SCOBY! It left Seattle with great symbolism for both us. Perhaps even some worth writing about. 

Three cheers and a Kombucha to you, Peggy Dear. I am glad we found each other here. Thank you for being pure and honest and you.

In reply toRe: msg 111
Loreficent

Jun-11

Ahhh...and yes...forgot to add...on that seesaw... JOY will always win for she is the one with the capable wings to jump off and leave sorrow landing squarely on the ground to return to the dust from which it comes. For this... is the way and direction I choose to fly...