About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First 10 days review   General Chit-Chat

Started May-6 by Musivore; 35956 views.
euknight

Aug-23

Lore,

Yes mam coffee m and ms.  Found them by accident.  Your diet is so good.  Don’t let my bad influence change your good habits.  Lol.  Even your candy is healthy!!  Go girl!!  I think I have been binging more cos of the old lost love.  My thighs may be bigger but my stroke is strong and even in the pool and I feel very empowered.  Even managing a few butterfly strokes a night.  Woohoo!!

About now you are at the beach.....sigh.  I know you will fully enjoy. Do you bring a skin to go in the water with?  I will be wearing mine in about a month.  I also have a warm wet suit...almost a dry suit.  Just weighs me down more.  

Im not sure Kombucha is curbing my hunger but it is very satisfying.  Love this Tart Cherry one.  A friend was over to swim and give her dog some social time with mine and she was reading ingredients....no ginger juice but maybe extract but could not taste any.  She liked it too.  It is Kevita..brown glass bottle.  That would be good for your collection.

oh I bet that did get you on a roll talking to the dude moving to Equador.  Good for him.  Just more info for the future.  Totally hear you about being peopled out.....I simply cannot get in that shape very often.  Told Eve about my friend that came over Friday...she is the one who would not smoke around me.  I convinced her it was ok and told her how I am fine around our heavy smoking friend so she went for it.  Just reminds me about how I went diving for the cigarettes like that all the time....  Not happening.  Am fine with those guys but out in the world, IDK.

You have snake dancer spider catching???.  Lol.  Poor guy.  I did picture him dancing out in the driveway where I saw that copperhead.  Cracked me up.  Am blessed have never been bitten by any.  I make a lot of noise tromping around.

I can’t remember why I didn’t swim Thursday.  Great swim next 2 nights. Fixing to get out there again..yay!!

This week there are 2 hurricanes coming into the gulf.  Marco and Laura.  I guess first time ever.  Their track changes, I know but we all are praying for rain.  We never know if the effects will come this far inland.  It is so dry.  Last time we had those fabulous temps!  Just hopping the coast does not get hammered cos COVID is still so bad in Houston.

Imagining your beautiful scenery right now and hopefully you are getting your meditative buzz on, sista!!  Enjoy enjoy!!!

Hugs,

Peggy

Loreficent

Aug-24

Hey there Peggy...

So...Sour Patch Kids is a good diet? Lol! Well...I don’t have them very often. I grew up eating simple straight forward food and think that has a lot to do with my choices still. Plus...I really don’t like to cook.  And I don’t think you’re a bad influence! I’d try the coffee M&Ms for sure! And I’m gonna look for the tart cherry Kevita when back in PDX. 
Yes...I wear a wet suit when I swim here. You can’t stay in long if you don’t as the water hovers only in the mid 50s even in mid summer. I have a board, but suck at it and brought it this time for Stepson. We watched the sunset while in the water and it was beautiful. Came back and got warmed up by hot showers, ate and then went out again for night walk. The Band of the Milky Way is really visible tonight as not much moon and we just laid there for about an hour and took it all in. Now I have a second wind and can’t sleep! I’m not that used to staying in a bed here either so I keep feeling like I want to grab my stuff and go sleep in the sand. Not in the right spot for that though...

Ha! “Snake dancer spider catching”... sounds like a song or a band or maybe both! Yeah...he will get ones I can’t reach if they look like ones that should go out. Sometimes I get worried about the kitties eating them as I’m not sure if they could be poisonous to them...? 

So you did good around heavy smoker friend? That’s another hurdle then, yes? And she liked Kombucha too? You will be fine out in the world around it if you have to be when the time comes I’m sure. 
Think I’m finally getting sleepy. 
Have a wonderful Monday! 

In reply toRe: msg 418
xvaper

Aug-24

It is great that you could be around that heavy smoker friend. I have sat next to smokers a few time recently and I was totally fine. 

The curious thing was, a guest had left a pack with 4 cigarettes left in it. It took everything I had to throw them in the toilette. So I didn't want one when people were smoking next to me, but just seeing these 4 available cigarettes and not smoke them was very very hard. 

Brings home how vulnerable I am really.

Loreficent

Aug-24

Ok...so I’ve figured out that waiting for people makes me think of smoking. Not so much wanting one..,but thinking about how I would have had a smoke while waiting and now...it’s just waiting and pacing. Kids. Funny I say that as neither of these are Littles...17 and 26. Still, they could sleep till noon every day if left to their own choosing. We did stay up far too late watching “My Big Fat Greek Wedding”. I still love that movie even though I’ve seen it a dozen times probably. You know Peggy, we were talking about movies and one came up that we love too that made me think of you called “Second Hand Lions”. If you’ve not seen it I very highly recommend it! 
So as I was walking this morning on the beach it occurred to me that you haven’t said what it is flying by your pool at night? Is it bats like you maybe thought? Are they Nighthawks? Inquiring minds want to know! 

Loreficent

Aug-24

Oh...so...that is how I started back a few years after having daughter. The Ex’s dad had come to visit and he left a pack on the dresser in the room he had stayed in. I hadn’t smoked for close to 4 years, and yup....the “just one” thought did it. I am very glad you summoned your wise self and flushed them. I would probably still have to fight hard in that situation too. Strong work X!!!muscle

euknight

Aug-24

Hey Lore,

Welcome home!!  Your trip sounds fab!!  I guess I thought you would be there a few days.  Eeeek 50 degree water!!  Yeah buddy you better wear a warm suit!!  Whoa.  I imagine there must be a wilder beauty with colder waters.  Idk

Interesting take on the whole quit process.  I wholeheartedly agree that emotion will rule over willpower every time.  Willpower is something we have to conjure up; then work and work to keep it going.  It does not seem natural, like emotion is, but we have been given the ability to utilize it.  In the long run it has to be emotion that keeps the quit.  A deep desire fueled by love and faith and self control.  Willpower is the clenching of teeth while self control is the desire to hold back out of love.  I believe there is a difference.

I do think willpower has to be used a bit in the beginning without a doubt.  Whatever it takes so to speak.  I will use it whenever I cannot feel enough care for myself to do otherwise.  I don’t know if you can follow this!  Lol.  Your comments just sent me to this pondering.  We humans like to figure things out....lol, some more than others.

Who doesn’t love the smells of essential oils....ahhhh eucalyptus, lavender....yes!!  I even mixed up my own hand sanitizer with some.  Sooooo much better than store bought!  How the cedar smells after a rain or fresh mowed grass and for me...the smoke of a campfire.  And for me the smoke from cigs and cigars.  I liked it after my last quit too.  Not a trigger for me.  Might seem weird.

Speaking of fires, I am so sorry about your friends having to evacuate!!  Did they lose their home?  Gee those fires freak me out and sooooooo hot!!  Belgian Shepherds??  That sounds lovely...well anything with Shepherd attached to it I love.  Belgian?  Like the giant Belgian horses?  I bet that was awesome playing with them and so nice to see your friend. Nice to be with people that get you and expand you!!,

I had a dream last night of cleaning all the bathrooms in my childhood home and there were more than there were really!!  My most dreaded task!!  A repetitive dream in some respects.  Am taking that one to tribe tomorrow to discuss. Have not written it down.

I have gotten to swimming several butterfly laps.  I think I had to strengthen my arms a bit.  Am going to study a bit on form and go from there.  Getting dark earlier so am out an hour in light and an hour in dark with pool light.  Sliver of moon now.  Strange smells wafting up from somewhere....almost like wild hog but dogs were not flustered so we shall see again tonight.  Cool to have my sense of smell back!

Have the best smoke free day my friend!  And to all the warrior gals coming to this link!!,!

Peggy

5-8-20

Loreficent

Aug-24

I am still here! 
Heading a bit further down the coast now to my favourite places so will get some good pics I hope!

xvaper

Aug-24

I know but also I realize how easy it is slip. I hope I will not.

euknight

Aug-24

Yay....I see you are still there!!  Guess I was one message behind.  I have to agree with you about the waiting....YES....hear you loud and clear!

I love Second Hand Lions....a real feel good movie.  You gotta love all the animals greeting guests!!!!

Pretty sure they were Nighthawks.  Have not come back.  How about you?  Pelicans?  Sandpipers?  Or do those go to the Pacific?

Today has been a tough one.  Hugs

Loreficent

Aug-24

Uh-oh...tough one isn’t fun. Better now? You should be swimming soon and hopefully that helps. I’m proud of you doing the Butterfly! That’s hard. I don’t know anything other than just regular swimming...breast stroke I think? Hahaha! Maybe I shouldn’t be in the Pacific..? Never thought about it like that as I can swim and it is the Ocean...so...there you go! I’m pretty strong but not a fancy swimmer, hows that? The Pacific can be treacherous though for sure. The Coast of Oregon is fairly rugged but does have sand beaches as well as rock beaches. The whole coast is public which is nice. But it is definitely not SoCal waters. I wouldn’t go in the water except for this time of year. Fall is known for sneaker waves and the whole coast is pretty unpredictable for undertow. I’m gonna stop writing about it as I will talk myself into not doing it alone anymore and I don’t want to live like that!  There are always a few deaths a year off Oregon Coast though. There are some horrific videos on YouTube of the sneaker waves. There is a big fault line not too far from the coast too so most of the upper Coast is Tsunami area potentially. I’m way more fearful of people, and not that I wanna go anytime soon, but when it’s my time I’d rather be dragged to sea by Mother Nature than killed by some idiot drunk driver or shot by some kook. Or die from smoking related disease.... But...none of that for about 30 more years is best! 
So those birds only came a few nights? Wonder if they are something migratory but it seems early for that. I don’t know the Coast birds too well but there are Pelicans in some areas, and Bald Eagles,  though I see those in PDX too. And...my favorite at the Coast are the Puffins! Adorable. You see whales too. And sea lions. Funny little sand crabs by the hundreds that when you stand in the water just a bit into it from the edge like just below the knees and watch the waves come in they come up out of the sand, literally hundreds of them and ride the wave and catch plankton and as the wave goes out they very quickly burrow back under. They do this all day long, day in day out. It’s like a funny little symphony of sorts and we had lots of fun standing there a good long while today and watching them. Daughter was cracking me up with it as sometimes they hit your legs. Today we went to a specific spot at low tide so we could go into these caves that you can’t access when tide is in and there are of course tide pools in there which I love. You know, you could live so many lifetimes on this beautiful and breathtaking and awe inspiring planet of ours and only learn a small fraction about all of it’s inhabitants...just amazes me humans are so wrapped up in their heads and don’t take better care of this place really. I’ve done my damage too just by existing and in the past by smoking for sure. But we were walking along these rocks and there was an are of all the different types of barnacles and I just couldn’t walk on them as there are little creatures inside there and when you watch the water come in over you see them pop out. Couldn’t think of walking on them and chancing breaking the shell. Some of those things are so...Star Wars looking it makes me realize how writers and artists for all of this SciFi stuff get their ideas!! Right under our noses every day. 
Hope you feel better Peggy Dear. Tomorrow is a brand new day and you will have your Tribe and they will feed you and comfort you. It will be better I am 100% certain. 
I’ll look for a shooting star for you tonight and send you a wish. And the same big hug Eastward is always coming on the breeze, and tonight will have a little breathe of salt air and a glimpse of Mermaids....pray