About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First 10 days review   General Chit-Chat

Started May-6 by Musivore; 32196 views.
Loreficent

Aug-27

Hey Lovely Lady...

Just read about Laura on her way in and is Category 4 over the Gulf. Article said it may even reach Category 5 by the time it hits land. Whoa. I’m very happy you are where you are. Even a 4 or a 3 is going to be so bad with Covid mixed in. Katrina hit as a 3 and was devastating. 
The article spoke about all the shipping channels coming inland and how it has turned the water brackish over the years, thus killing all the trees that would have offered some protection and causing a lot of erosion. It was pretty involved in the science of it and this is over simplification and of course is just one of many factors involved...
My heart and prayers go out tonight to the folks in Texas and Louisiana. There gonna need a lot of that and a lot of intervention from the Government after this. 
Stay safe Peggy and I hope all your family and friends are as well. pray

euknight

Aug-27

Hey friend,

ok, no pelicans.  I was curious about that.  I can’t stand that they blew up that whale!!!  I mean I get it but it’s still sad.  I would love to see all the wild beauty of that coastline someday.  The atmosphere is probably so different!!  The coolness alone of the water in the summer fascinates me.

I was up over 48 hours, could not sleep. Had to stay up to watch the coverage of Hurricane Laura, had a zoom bible study, and we got fabulous rain finally...remnants of Marco.  Have not checked to see the progress today of Laura...but the high winds were going to continue up to Shreveport , LA and Little Rock, AR.  This is one of the bigger ones.  The evacuees that were bused into DFW are being given hotel rooms this time to help with COVID as opposed to all going to one facility.

I am so sorry my sweet about stepson leaving.  I do know that ache in your heart.  You guys got to spend quality time together and that is a blessing!  Yes, bittersweet.

I like that “thinking about smoking” day.  Usuallly those days I can reframe into thinking days...but that day had overtures of physical crave....boo.  Gone now, finally got decent sleep.

My free weights are coated with something that is water resistant.  Probably not suppose to be used in water but I have for 3 years and they are fine.  Pool noodles can be used for resistance exercises, leaned on to do kicks, used like a jump rope for pikes (crunching up your body and jumping over it underwater). Did not get in last night because of the rain last night.  Weather from Laura will hit East Texas and Dallas but will not likely make it this far west.  Anxious to see the sky tonight!!

Hi to Calvin, Maisy, Hugums and wirey dog..can’t call him demon dog...lol.  My two are excited I am finally awake!!

Hugs to you and all the warriors

Peggy

5-8-20

euknight

Aug-27

Lol...poor thing!!  I did not know it smelled that bad.  Have not had the pleasure of that experience but totally get the PTSD.  I still get a little paranoid about low flying birds since a mockingbird dive bombed my hair jogging one time.  Eeeek

Loreficent

Aug-27

Ok...just nuked another post to you! What am I doing to do that? Ack!

I know I said I was glad to hear from you and see your ok. Not sure if the rest will show up so am gonna go and do my dishes and write more later!

Loreficent

Aug-28

Good morning!

Birds... I’m so envious at times. Not for the dive bombing (well, maybe!) or the pooping on people part, but the soaring. The views and perspectives. Mmmm. Yeah...Gull poop smell is horrific. We still laugh about it. Couldn’t figure out where the smell was coming from as it just kept following us. Then she crossed in front of me and I noted a big white splotch on the back of her head with her then pink hair. Ugh. When I first moved here to this house 4 years ago and commenced to removing the grass out front I made friends with a crow. I was out there for days, painstakingly digging small patches with a shovel and pitting the shovel underneath and then tearing out the small patches with my hands. At first I thought he came to eat worms. There weren’t too many of those though and I figured out he was just curious. They have that funny little way of hopping around with their head cocked at an angle, the pose itself asking the questions and no vocal sound needed. So about 3 days in I put some dry cat food in my pocket and went out to work and waited. Sure enough after just a few minutes he comes down from the wire and lands about 10 feet away. So I started tossing kibble. Thought to myself “uh-oh..he probably has friends and family”. It remained just the one though. Over the course of a couple of weeks it got to where I would go out and he was on the ground waiting for me. Would flap his good morning and I’d say hi back. One day he wasn’t there right when I went out. I was sad. After I got down on all 4’s to lift out another patch of verdant yuck, he lands right next to me with a gift. A dead mouse. Yeah. Now my kitties don’t go out as where I live. But I’ve had cats all my life and know very well about the treasures they will bring to the doorstep with that oh-so-proud of themselves look. I did not expect such a gift from a crow. He plops it down about a foot from me and struts around making that almost purring sound they can make, and keeps looking at me expectantly. So I gave him his kibbles and gently wrapped the mouse in a tissue I had in my pocket and carried it through the house out to the back deck. I wanted him to think I appreciated it, and I did really. I didn’t want to just leave it and felt he should see me take it. Didn’t appreciate so much hiding the mouse on the back deck until he flew off and then burying it, but I so appreciated that gesture. Thought it was funny how others never showed up with him and it made me want to know his full story. Whatever it is or was, I realize I was just a chapter in his book of life. We went on to be friends the rest of the year and I’d take some kibble out when I left early in the morning to go to work and couldn’t spend my day out there. It was nice to have the company as that was an arduous task removing that grass. Yeah...birds are funny. 
The whale. Yes, sad. That was a while ago. I think they felt compelled to dispose of it due to it’s proximity of the town and the pending stench and such if left to decompose naturally. Found some interesting information reading about it. There was another one a few years ago only that washed up and the folks from the Aquarium dealt with it differently. They cut it up and kept the skeleton for a museum at the Aquarium. Haven’t been down there for a few years so I’m not sure if it is on display yet. They have what is called the “Octocam” and I watch that periodically. The always have a Giant Pacific Octopus they house and I like watching what he/she gets up to after the people go home. It’s the best way to see them really. When I first quit smoking watching the Octocam was a great and relaxing distraction. The mind can really wander while doing that and they are always more active at night when I really needed a distraction. There are live cameras to watch Earth from afar too. 
Then there is the Black Pepper essential oil! Yeah! It is good! So daughter made me this little vial with a cotton ball and a few drops of that and a few drops of Angelica. All you do is take the top off and a take a deep breath. Really nice and warming feeling. Also...I tried the Tart Cherry Kevita Kombucha. Now Peggy I owe you a big thanks for that one as it is my new favorite! I am gonna go to the “Crunchy Store” as Tiny calls it and get some organic dried Tart Cherries and use them for my second ferment on my next batch. Might add a little pepper and spice it up some on a few bottles and see how that is. Nice thing about making my own is the experimentation. I’m not out 3 buck or more a bottle if I don’t like it! 
So, yes...if anyone is interested, Black Pepper essential oil does help with wanting to smoke.

TinyBadger

Aug-28

I know a crunchy oil purveyor who sells pepper oil and you put just a drop on your tongue when you want to smoke. It reminds me of how in the past people who wanted to change a thought process would break open an ammonia capsule and smell it. Kind of like associating something "bad" with a "bad" thought or behavior. I won't go in to details because this isn't the right place for it but I will say in my work experience it appeared to be highly effective. I have tried a particular brand of the pepper oil and it tastes hot and awful at the same time. I pray that you got something a little more palatable for your purposes, you kombucha fiend, you.

Loreficent

Aug-28

Haha! So was the Pepper oil as bad as what you witnessed with the ammonia capsules? Ewww. So I am not ingesting it, just inhaling it. Not sure I would like it on my tongue. I like pepper on food but that’s different. Did you try that this quit? If you still have it maybe try putting some on a cotton ball or a tissue and smelling it? I also don’t get in right under my nose. They used to sell these essential oil inhalers at our Crunchy stores, but I’ve looked at 3 and can’t find them anymore. Still available online but this little bottle daughter put it in for me is cute and works. Definitely takes the mind off of cigarettes.

Maybe I wrote this to you in the other spot, but that Kombucha that Peggy likes is really good Tiny and doesn’t taste like fruit sauerkraut. To me anyway. It’s the Kevita one in a brown bottle, Tart Cherry. Also, next time you are at your Crunchy store maybe see if they have Jun Kombucha. Just a plain one and I think you might like that if you like honey. The honey taste is most prominent. There is one out of Leavenworth, WA called “Huney Jun” that has me totally hooked though mine is turning out quite nice and much cheaper. And the Jun Scoby is so pretty! Want a picture?? Lol!

euknight

Aug-29

Hola...ok that crow story is children’s book material...seriously, for sure!! Nothing like an animal friend and a wild animal even better!!!  Who would have ever thought a crow had the brain capacity to bring you that mouse!!  Yes, true cats do, but birds? That is just too cool,  crows can get huge here....there too??

You dug out all the grass in the yard?.  Eeeek....why?  I remember the poppies...did you want to plant the whole yard in perennials?  Sounds like a magical house.  

Yes I remember the apothecarist in that movie....I think it was that movie.  Sometimes they are depicted as witches in the movies of the Middle Ages which was so weird because they were coming up with natural remedies...forerunners of our damaging pharms!!!  I’m not real versed in it but I do enjoy treating the pool!  Does that count?  That’s as mad scientist as I get!!  Lol.  Then there is you..Kombucha Apothecarist!!, Lol

Glad you liked the Tart Cherry!!  How cool daughter brought you some!  It is in a class all it’s own for sure.  I love cherries tho...amazing...the golden ones....fabulous!!  I can’t wait to see how your new cherry blend turns out!!  Yum yum.  I am going to reward myself for getting thru this 109 degree day with some.  

My neighbor texted and he said his dad heard my septic alarm going off!!  I didn’t even know what that was!  So the Internet said not to use water til they can come out.  Fun fun.  Maybe Tiny knows about this???  Septic stuff?  So am using my red neck ice cubes which are only water now ......lol. Grateful the air is working.  Hooray.

Hugs

Peggy

5-8-20

TinyBadger

Aug-29

I admit I've never heard of an alarm but I imagine it's a sewer gas/ventilation sort of gig. Most everyone in my city has a septic tank and a leech field. I think most people have old septic they get pumped every so many years, not new fancy stuff. Gross. Although how ingenious to put an alarm on it?!?!?

Loreficent

Aug-29

Lol...well I‘m glad you liked hearing about my crow friend. He was pretty special. I felt a bit guilty about feeding him, but know better than to think a Crow will get dependent on a human. They are much wiser than that! They are such survivalists really. I mean seriously...anything that eats carrion on a daily basis has to be, right? I kept wondering if he found it dead and thought it a trade for the cat food? Who knows. Daughter got a kick out of him as did Pat. For a long time they’d ask “is that your buddy?” Daughter used to call them “Black Eagles”, so yes, they get pretty big here. We have Ravens too. Nice. 
Yeah..humans are funny the way we get so threatened by things that escape our understanding. Mixing of herbs and seeds and flowers and bark and you name it has been around way longer than Westernized medicine. I don’t knock Western medicine the way some do, but I don’t exalt it as the sole healing answer for everything and everyone either. Probably shouldn’t start on that train as it is a very long thought train with many cars and not a caboose in sight, haha! My summary is an integrated approach to things is probably the best treatment for most things. 
109?!?! Ugh ugh ugh! And no turning in the water??? Thank goodness for those ice cubes of yours! Fixed yet? And yes...a septic tank alarm is a grand idea! I knew they existed for sump pumps but not septic tanks. Grass is always greenest over the septic field! Hmmm. How analogous with so many things, yes? Haha! Speaking of...I have not had grass in my yard since the first summer I lived here. All Manzanita, Eucalyptus, and a huge variety of perennials and...wait for it...yes, an Agave! Soon to be another Agave next week! Have not put a drop of water on my front yard for 3 summers now. All xerascaped. And gorgeous. And brimming with bees and other pollinators and bunnies and all kinds of stuff. Way back in this thread I wrote about my disdain for grass so won’t boringly repeat it here, it is a post or two after the poppy picture. Yes, grass is nothing more than environmental waste. An aesthetic illusion of a healthy yard. Nothing healthy or productive about it. And...not a natural thing at all. Ok...I’ll stop. 
So I love the idea of the weights in the water!! I’m not good enough with Physics or whatever area of science has to do with figuring this out, but does the water make the weight heavier or lighter to move? You have a whole gym in that pool! Way cool. 
Well Peggy...I hope you get your septic fixed soon. Does Burdock grow there? Haha! Nature’s TP. Just make sure you watch out for the Tarantula  and any Copperheads before you squat! Lol! Oh my. I’m so sorry you have to deal with that. At least you live in some privacy! And I know you know what poison ivy and oak look like too....

Big hugs my friend!! Almost all dark here now at 8:29. Nice for walks but not looking forward to the Winter at all this year....

• Edited August 29, 2020 11:36 pm  by  Loreficent