About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First 10 days review   General Chit-Chat

Started May-6 by Musivore; 31279 views.
Loreficent

Sep-2

Couldn’t agree more Tiny. Such a significant waste of water really. I don’t mind grass at all when it is allowed to cycle it’s own dormant season. Problem is that is when most people want to be out on it and long for the soft green-ness of it. 
Hmmm. Deer do make it tough in places to garden. I’ll have to do some reading on “deer resistant” plants in your neck of the woods as I’m curious now. I’m surprised they like Hydrangea. 
Guess you could plant them some corn...? Lol! Pumpkins make beautiful yard plants but not Evergreen. I’m sleepy and not thinking clearly. 

Loreficent

Sep-6

OMG.

I just wrote a huge cathartic thing, processing some of this dang void, and have absolutely no clue how I made it disappear into the ether! Ugh!

Well...one thing in it was how I e been using the visual of Tab and Jackson with their Vulture playmates to stay present and in the moment. Then I said I was gonna go on another walk now and go see John. He’s leaning. Had pondered aloud on why I allowed myself to build such symbolism around something I knew wouldn’t last. Then equated that to nothing really lasts except styrofoam. So, it was a much more introspective and thoughtful thing than this here, but I just can’t recreate it. Maybe it will show up. That’s happened before. If not...at least I got it out and somewhere in the web world exists more useless pondering of an addict. 
Hope you enjoyed your Sunday! 

TinyBadger

Sep-7

One of our neighbors has blue hydrangeas and they are lovely. The deer ignore it. I have white and they get nibbled. I hear the color depends on the pH of the soil. Don't quote me on that. The only thing I've never seen even a nibble out of is my peonies. Even the dumbest fawn won't touch them. Not sure why, but I'm not complaining. I wonder if bunnies nibble pumpkin vines? The birds and bunnies can almost be as bad as the deer. My neighbor has two sheds up on cinder blocks and he puts vegetables underneath it to feed the little nippers. He smears peanut butter on the deck railing for the squirrels. Not a fan of that but if it makes him happy...it just leads a lot of squirrels our way and the dogs go nuts chasing them around. Sounds like a lot of stress for all parties involved. I thought it was funny that Yellowstone put out a thing today on twitter saying no selfies with fluffy cows. What a hoot.

Loreficent

Sep-7

Oh, squirrels. I saw one today that it took me a minute to figure out what it was. Had no tail. Just a little stub. At first I thought it was a bunny but then it would have had no ears. Poor little guy. He seemed happy enough, scurrying around. Hope he can climb ok and get up away when needed. One of my neighbors puts out peanuts in the shell. She loves the squirrels. I’m always finding the shells in my yard.

I like the blue hydrangea too. I’ve heard that too about changing the color by changing soil pH. I think it takes a while though. They have some here that the blooms are really big and look like cow heads. I’ll find you a picture.

So...that is funny! No selfies with fluffy cows. You know...I’ve been there and seen some people do some really stupid stuff. Got a book there called “Death In Yellowstone “. You can probably get it anywhere. It is actually pretty darn fascinating! Not to be mean, but, yeah. People have done some really dumb things there and not lived to tell about it. I try not to underestimate Mother Nature, but I swim in the Pacific so maybe I’m just as stupid. 
Not sure if bunnies eat pumpkin vines? When I was a kid my Mom planted them along the drive. We kids used to crack up cause folks would drive out from the city so their kids could see cows. Yeah, sad, I know. But true. Anyway, there were always people that would stop and ask what the beautiful plant was with the huge orange flowers. I might do one next year in honor of my Mom now that I think about it.

Loreficent

Sep-7

Ok...maybe not cows...but some kind of creature, yes?

euknight

Sep-7

What are those plants???  How wild!  Are they eaten or grow like that?  Pig...dog...cow??

euknight

Sep-7

My turn to nuke my post grrrrrrrrrrr.

I wrote that John is a good symbol cos as long as it takes to bloom is like how long it took to quit!,  Also that bloom reaches to the sky....like we did when we quit cos it seemed impossible!!!  Another reason is we may not have another quit in us from going through this.......  So when the bloom falls we remain a healthy agave!!,  How is that so far?

My bro, his friend and sis in law are the best.  We had a lot of fun.  My bro even did a water aerobics routine with me!!  He is the best.  He and his friend cleaned out my gutters, pruned tree, showed me how to operate my newest battery powered yard tool.  We ate and after a hike, late swim, they hit the spa.  I didn’t want it to take off my spray tan so passed.  Actually like it colder out.

Yes girls I love hydrangea too!!  Can’t grow it here but I don’t grow anything that requires much care.  I think acid will turn them blue.  Oh Tiny...peonies!!!!  You are so lucky.  Love those but not a Tx survivor.

Funny you guys are talking about squirrels...I finally saw where the squirrels are jumping onto the roof.  So loud like a giant’s footsteps...lol. I miss seeing pumpkin vines.  They are pretty cool to watch grow.  I saw this thing where you tie netting around the fruit so animals don’t take chunks out of them.  Cool idea.

Had urges yesterday with family here and will say they were so happy I quit and complimentary!!  I explained to sis in law how it is not an overnight thing or even a one month thing!!  Course she has never smoked.  It was really nice tho.

Hugs to all you warriors!!

Peggy

5-8-20

TinyBadger

Sep-7

Those look like cows heads to me! Little noses at the end and all. I've only seen the big round hydrangeas. I think the cows are just lovely. I'm going to have to check out this book. Im a total jerk because I think sometimes people get what they deserve when it comes to wild animals. They think the parks are an amusement, and they are safe to do whatever. Then they get a dent in their car when bison give them a warning. Let me add that I do not laugh if someone is seriously injured. Just car dents and getting chased. Every year at work we have to go to a winter safety presentation. It has things like how to walk safely on ice, winter driving tips, etc. Then they show video of people walking into puddles, falling down, getting out of a moving vehicle that had lost control on ice, that sort of thing. It takes every ounce of self control I have not to laugh. Who jumps out of a moving vehicle on a hill because their car is sliding? Seriously?!?! Who wear high heels to walk up a steep blooming hill? All the women I know have a kind of tote bag for the winter that you throw your good shoes and purse in. Then when you get to your destination you switch shoes. Peggy, I'm glad you got to see some people. Covid has us all so isolated. I'm also glad people got to tell you what a good job you are doing because everyone needs to hear that. Know that you are doing a great job staying smober and you're an excellent role model. I figured with where you live your tan would be real. We need to get you outdoors! Although they do say that no tan is a safe tan. I'm on day two of zero lozenges, no nrt or nicotine of any kind. Ive been edgy, and a little crabby but overall good. There were a couple of times that I felt like I really needed one, but I held off. Got up early to walk the dogs but the wind was howling and it was pouring so I just worked on my cross stitch. It's called Halloween squirrels. One is dressed like a vampire and one like a princess. Of course there are pumpkins and acorns. I've gotta bang this thing out before October, so I'm working hard on it. Gardens and crafting are my gig. What do you guys do for fun?

CC to euknightEve1973
Eve1973

Sep-7

Of course I have no idea what anyone is talking about! But you 3 seemed to be entertained, so that’s good! 

Tiny that is awesome without the NRTs! Yes probably be a little irritable but hey who cares as long as you don’t piss the wrong person off! Lol . I’m over a month with cutting the Chantix down. But it takes 2 weeks before your body adjusts to changes, so on the 15th of this month will cut down again, and see how that goes.

I make or do a lot of projects. So I have realized that doing my “projects “ actually triggers the cravings. Because while doing I would smoke or take breaks to smoke. Today was cleaning walls and ceiling from the wallpaper I took down and the popcorn ceiling. Tedious work. Trying to get glue or remaining wallpaper off. Only got half the room done. Oh well. Tomorrow another day. 

Loreficent

Sep-7

Oh Man!!! 
All you girlz just saved me from the crazy chaotic day I’ve had at work! Thank you as I am laughing my butt off now and was not smiling at all prior to reading from you all.

So...apparently...one thing I do for fun...is drink and drive. Yeah. I got pulled over on the way home for drinking a Brew Dr while driving. Now I’ll admit it is a Holiday and the short brown bottle from outside the car may look like a beer. Was funny though cause as soon as he pulled me over and walked up to the car he saw what it was, he still asked for license, registration, etc. I kept waiting for him to say I’d done something else, but, nope...just the “alleged beer bottle “. That’s ok. He was easy on the eyes. And he called me “Miss” and not “Ma’am” so that helped ease the frustration of it too.
We are having a wind storm! The sky is murky haze from fires that must be out in the gorge maybe, though I haven’t read yet. And something smells bad not like usual Forest fire smell. Kind of like fertilizer. Ewww.
So Peggy you have giant squirrels?? Lol! Are they in your attic? Or just scampering around on the roof? And yes...I love what you wrote about John. He has been a steadfast symbol for this whole year for me and I will treasure his memory and visits always. He is still there and will be taking plenty of my inner most secrets when he goes, and I do know they will always be safe with him. I may just take him down a Tequila Sunrise tonight, except all I have is Everclear and no Tequila. I use the Everclear to make hand sanitizer, haha! Yeah. 95% grain alcohol and works great! Don’t think I could even take a sip of it though... I’m a bit worried to go down tonight with this wind we are having. I do hope John will hold on for a while yet. 
I’m really glad you had some family time too! Sounds like you all really enjoyed each other’s company. Do the dogs like having company? And how nice too to get supported and encouraged in your quit! Even if she doesn’t smoke and you know she can’t totally relate, it’s really good to have that encouragement and acknowledgment, yes?

Tiny...you crack me up. Kudos to you for not laughing in that class and you are a stronger woman than me for not doing so! My filter probably would not be strong enough to not laugh my butt off at someone jumping out of a car sliding down a hill on ice! “Hold my beer and watch this!” Hahaha! And heels? Oh man. Probably skirts too! Hahaha! In snow and ice. Yeah, I wouldn’t bother trying to contain myself watching that safety movie! But I’m not always very mature. Yes, get the “Death In Yellowstone “ book. Crazy stuff. And people say there isn’t something called survival of the fittest... Hmmm. Well, Mother Nature will usually win no matter what you call it. Most of those incidents were folks just not thinking well, but there is some other stuff like wandering through there at night and falling into a hot spring. What a way to go. Sad.

Eve...you removing wallpaper? That would make me want to smoke. Did you see those flowers? The cow head ones? You could grow those I bet! Glad we all are keeping you entertained some, though I realize we might be hard to follow at times. Someday we all should meet in the middle somewhere and celebrate our success. 
Im gonna go for now and see if I can find out about all this smoke...hopefully nothing too close. I always feel really bad about Forest fires. These wind gusts are something right now. Better get some candles out...