About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First 10 days review   General Chit-Chat

Started 5/6/20 by Musivore; 59681 views.
TinyBadger

Sep-7

Those look like cows heads to me! Little noses at the end and all. I've only seen the big round hydrangeas. I think the cows are just lovely. I'm going to have to check out this book. Im a total jerk because I think sometimes people get what they deserve when it comes to wild animals. They think the parks are an amusement, and they are safe to do whatever. Then they get a dent in their car when bison give them a warning. Let me add that I do not laugh if someone is seriously injured. Just car dents and getting chased. Every year at work we have to go to a winter safety presentation. It has things like how to walk safely on ice, winter driving tips, etc. Then they show video of people walking into puddles, falling down, getting out of a moving vehicle that had lost control on ice, that sort of thing. It takes every ounce of self control I have not to laugh. Who jumps out of a moving vehicle on a hill because their car is sliding? Seriously?!?! Who wear high heels to walk up a steep blooming hill? All the women I know have a kind of tote bag for the winter that you throw your good shoes and purse in. Then when you get to your destination you switch shoes. Peggy, I'm glad you got to see some people. Covid has us all so isolated. I'm also glad people got to tell you what a good job you are doing because everyone needs to hear that. Know that you are doing a great job staying smober and you're an excellent role model. I figured with where you live your tan would be real. We need to get you outdoors! Although they do say that no tan is a safe tan. I'm on day two of zero lozenges, no nrt or nicotine of any kind. Ive been edgy, and a little crabby but overall good. There were a couple of times that I felt like I really needed one, but I held off. Got up early to walk the dogs but the wind was howling and it was pouring so I just worked on my cross stitch. It's called Halloween squirrels. One is dressed like a vampire and one like a princess. Of course there are pumpkins and acorns. I've gotta bang this thing out before October, so I'm working hard on it. Gardens and crafting are my gig. What do you guys do for fun?

CC to euknightEve1973
Eve1973

Sep-7

Of course I have no idea what anyone is talking about! But you 3 seemed to be entertained, so that’s good! 

Tiny that is awesome without the NRTs! Yes probably be a little irritable but hey who cares as long as you don’t piss the wrong person off! Lol . I’m over a month with cutting the Chantix down. But it takes 2 weeks before your body adjusts to changes, so on the 15th of this month will cut down again, and see how that goes.

I make or do a lot of projects. So I have realized that doing my “projects “ actually triggers the cravings. Because while doing I would smoke or take breaks to smoke. Today was cleaning walls and ceiling from the wallpaper I took down and the popcorn ceiling. Tedious work. Trying to get glue or remaining wallpaper off. Only got half the room done. Oh well. Tomorrow another day. 

Loreficent

Sep-7

Oh Man!!! 
All you girlz just saved me from the crazy chaotic day I’ve had at work! Thank you as I am laughing my butt off now and was not smiling at all prior to reading from you all.

So...apparently...one thing I do for fun...is drink and drive. Yeah. I got pulled over on the way home for drinking a Brew Dr while driving. Now I’ll admit it is a Holiday and the short brown bottle from outside the car may look like a beer. Was funny though cause as soon as he pulled me over and walked up to the car he saw what it was, he still asked for license, registration, etc. I kept waiting for him to say I’d done something else, but, nope...just the “alleged beer bottle “. That’s ok. He was easy on the eyes. And he called me “Miss” and not “Ma’am” so that helped ease the frustration of it too.
We are having a wind storm! The sky is murky haze from fires that must be out in the gorge maybe, though I haven’t read yet. And something smells bad not like usual Forest fire smell. Kind of like fertilizer. Ewww.
So Peggy you have giant squirrels?? Lol! Are they in your attic? Or just scampering around on the roof? And yes...I love what you wrote about John. He has been a steadfast symbol for this whole year for me and I will treasure his memory and visits always. He is still there and will be taking plenty of my inner most secrets when he goes, and I do know they will always be safe with him. I may just take him down a Tequila Sunrise tonight, except all I have is Everclear and no Tequila. I use the Everclear to make hand sanitizer, haha! Yeah. 95% grain alcohol and works great! Don’t think I could even take a sip of it though... I’m a bit worried to go down tonight with this wind we are having. I do hope John will hold on for a while yet. 
I’m really glad you had some family time too! Sounds like you all really enjoyed each other’s company. Do the dogs like having company? And how nice too to get supported and encouraged in your quit! Even if she doesn’t smoke and you know she can’t totally relate, it’s really good to have that encouragement and acknowledgment, yes?

Tiny...you crack me up. Kudos to you for not laughing in that class and you are a stronger woman than me for not doing so! My filter probably would not be strong enough to not laugh my butt off at someone jumping out of a car sliding down a hill on ice! “Hold my beer and watch this!” Hahaha! And heels? Oh man. Probably skirts too! Hahaha! In snow and ice. Yeah, I wouldn’t bother trying to contain myself watching that safety movie! But I’m not always very mature. Yes, get the “Death In Yellowstone “ book. Crazy stuff. And people say there isn’t something called survival of the fittest... Hmmm. Well, Mother Nature will usually win no matter what you call it. Most of those incidents were folks just not thinking well, but there is some other stuff like wandering through there at night and falling into a hot spring. What a way to go. Sad.

Eve...you removing wallpaper? That would make me want to smoke. Did you see those flowers? The cow head ones? You could grow those I bet! Glad we all are keeping you entertained some, though I realize we might be hard to follow at times. Someday we all should meet in the middle somewhere and celebrate our success. 
Im gonna go for now and see if I can find out about all this smoke...hopefully nothing too close. I always feel really bad about Forest fires. These wind gusts are something right now. Better get some candles out...

In reply toRe: msg 464
Loreficent

Sep-7

Hmmm..actually don’t think it is too safe out right now to go see John. I’ve never seen anything like this here. Very odd. 
So I’m gonna take back making fun of those folks slipping on the ice and the fools killing themselves at Yellowstone. I think the Fates have something up their sleeve in PDX right now and all I can say is I’m glad I don’t smoke as the air is really bad and thick. Makes me worry about the folks with COPD and asthma. I’m also a bit worried about going to bed eventually tonight! There is a HUGE probably 150 feet tall Doug Fir behind my house. Plenty of it’s smaller branches on the deck. Dog won’t come out. Very strange. 

TinyBadger

Sep-8

Well, be careful. These are definitely strange times. Specially where you are. John will still be there when it is safe, whenever that may be. Know that there will be peace, just be patient and compassionate. Your tree will be fine and so will your dog, just stay calm to inspire those around you to do the same. Hopefully you slept ok. Take heart, this won't last forever.

Loreficent

Sep-8

Thanks Tiny!

I did sleep pretty good. Now I have a few days off and can feel the physical tension letting go which is a good feeling. My sister sent me another what was a free 21 day Deepak meditation thing and I’m going to start that. Been thinking about something you said a while back now about the concept of self care being new to you. I’m realizing that being selfish with my time, which I am, is not exactly the same thing. Doesn’t matter how many hours I walk a day, I can’t walk outta my head. I’m realizing there is still a fair amount of time walking where I don’t turn thoughts off. Thoughts of work, what needs to be done at home, thoughts of conversations, of where I’d rather be, etc, etc. I’m gonna try something new where I start one walk a day with “intention”. Where is I say to myself before I go that I want to keep a blank mind for 30 minutes. Not sure if this is a good idea or not...I’m kind of talking it out here and as soon as I wrote that I realized I have to keep my wits about me too. So I guess so far this is just babble and I don’t really know how to go about it yet! Haha! Don’t worry...I’m nowhere near Yellowstone and not at risk of walking into a hot mud pot or geyser, lol. But I got this thought in my head just now of “how does one turn it all off?” In a good way. Maybe that’s what the bath tub is for instead...

Yes...John is there, weathering the wind storm. Supposed to die out around 5pm today. I will say I ended up closing all my windows last night and in hindsight should have done that right when I got home. I noticed myself sitting on the couch and feeling anxious and a bit short of breath with how smoky it was, which made me more anxious. It also made me realize that as fit as I am that smoking all that time was probably a contributing factor to making it harder. It was really bad here! Sky much clearer today thank goodness. I’ve done some serious hills this summer out near the coast and didn’t feel like I did last night. It was kind of scary. It passed though as before I knew it Daughter was talking to me and I had dozed off while doing my deep breathing. Yeah. Fell asleep sitting up. Then I knew I was calm enough to go to bed, Lol! We lost our barn once when I was really small to a tornado. Lost some critters too. I get pretty antsy with huge wind gusts now. PDX doesn’t have tornadoes though and this was a different kind of storm. 
Those were the days when neighbors and relatives came to help rebuild. That probably still happens where you are when needed I bet.

Loreficent

Sep-8

Here’s another cow head Hydrangea flower...

TinyBadger

Sep-8

I love those things! I'm going to have to see if they will grow here! Glad you slept well. I think the blank mind maybe helpful. Many philosophies center around the "uncarved block". Maybe you need some time to be a human being instead of a human doing. Maybe volunteer somewhere, once your city calms down. I've found volunteering focuses the mind on someone or something else. There is no introspection. Just you thinking about someone else. I call that praying. Anyhoo, let's make sure we don't get religious here and I'll finish up by saying that the fact that you are looking for ways to improve your own well-being is great. Aren't we all a work in progress? Be gentle with yourself, you're doing things for others with great love. 

Loreficent

Sep-8

Oh, thanks again.

I am missing my volunteer stuff greatly for sure. It made a big difference in my life and sense of worthiness. 
Uncarved block. I like it. I’ve always related well to some of Picasso’s stuff where all the parts aren’t quite in the right place. It actually makes sense to me like that. 
I’ll see if I can find out the name of which Hydrangeas they are. They are fascinating! One reminds me of a Praying Mantis. I’ll find that pic and promise it will be the last one!!

TinyBadger

Sep-8

I love pics! Post anytime, I live vicariously through you. It's oversimplified, but I think I got the uncarved block thing from a taoist book somewhere along the way. I love watching PBS, too, because I get to learn so much about the world. I love the shows about other religions and cultures. Not the touristy garbage. The down and dirty this is what it's like to live here shows. My sister spent a summer in india (and got dysentery)  and was amazed by the people. She loved every minute of it. They were amazed by her because she's 6 foot 3. She's an avid outdoors woman and very fit. Many asked her if all american women were so big. She said she wanted to tell them yes, but did hold back and tell the truth. Have you ever left the country? I haven't. Not even canada. I've never been further east than chicago, either. I admit I've always wanted to go to Oregon. I dated a guy who used to tell me stories about it, and he made it sound so enchanting. He said it was very green and lush and the people there were very accepting. I've only seen the ocean once, and I'd love to see it again...