About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First 10 days review   General Chit-Chat

Started 5/6/20 by Musivore; 58754 views.
euknight

Sep-13

I have never seen orange and red skies like I am looking at online.

We had more green or like the pic you sent when smoke from west Texas blew in from fires years ago. Not as bad lack of visibility tho

Yes, Tiny, I want to know if you guys are getting any of this too??

Loreficent

Sep-13

Thank you Peggy. I’m fine. Trying to find something or some way to help just helps. Work is all breathing problems, anxiety, Covid concerns. Anxiety is off the meter with so many people here. Everyone is touched somehow either by a colleague or a family member or a friend that is experiencing loss. There are times when one can say “I’ve done what I can” or “enough”. It is the feeling of what else and how? That is eating at those of able and not able to at the same time. Yes, when you feel things deeply it is hard to let go processing and trying to find a way. There are lots of people with that inherent need, as Tiny said, and lots of people doing so much good all over the world. 
Yes...love your neighbors like you love yourself. That’s the drive that at times like this also makes you feel desperate, yes? 
I think it was Beachie Creek Fire that took Sandy. I did know that about these Evergreens. Their own worst enemy like us maybe? My colleague near Sandy is homeless now too. The one with two kids with no dad. Work has her put up in a hotel. Not sure how long they will help but we are all getting things together for her. Looks like issues on the Rez I lived on too. 
I do see rain forecast for Tuesday. Hopefully a lot but this time of year that rain can be a sprinkle that lasts a few minutes. We will take it. 
What you said about 9/11 being a wake up takes me back to that song. The S&G version being the warning, and the Disturbed version being what happens when nobody listened... maybe over simplifying but the feeling is like that.

Please don’t interpret me feeling sad as it is for me. I know full well how very fortunate I am. So very very blessed right now. And you all are a big part of that, with your grace and kindness as I process and natter it out instead of reaching for a smoke. I won’t do that. Seems blasphemous...

Loreficent

Sep-13

Yeah, the smoke is actually too thick right now to see the orange skies. Saw those the first few days but now just dark. And cold. Saw the UV index this AM was “0”. Yeah. No UV getting through. 

euknight

Sep-13

Yes, glad ur back!  That is funny about you getting to be chef!!!  Lol.  Sounds like you happily volunteered but ya know....keeping your hands occupied was probably a good thing so no cigs jumped into your fingertips.  Hear ya about the pack sitting around tho.  A lot seem to slip that way....very demonic voices come out of a half smoked pack.....“Come smoke me!!“

I am going to incorporate the scene of Lore’s town now into my no smoking repertoire.  Not doing that to myself.  No  sirrreeeeee.  Sounds all in all like a good time.  What a sweet gesture to appear with a yummy cake!!  Now this was a friend’s cabin in upstate?  Could not remember. Always nice to have a change of scenery.  It’s funny my neighbor and I get horribly homesick.  She (used to) travel a lot and could not wait to get home and me....I just don’t want to go anywhere!!  Pitiful, I know but I like it.  Welcome home!

Peggy

5-8-20

euknight

Sep-13

Ok I have tears in my eyes reading about your friend being put up in a hotel with her kids...whoa.....oh honey I know your sadness is not for you....with all this around you.???  Please let me know about the Rez.  What fire is closest to you?

You had mentioned east Willamette River.  Seems like these maps are changing everyday!!

What’s the name of that song...S&G and Disturbed sang?  Anyway are you home from work yet?

oh for sure....having a smoke is exactly blasphemous.  Perfect description....

euknight

Sep-13

Wow so the orange sky is clearer..had no idea but duh...now that I think of it more scenery was visible in those red orange sky shots.  Geez

A UV of zero???

Loreficent

Sep-13

Yes, they switched us out. We normally work 12 hours but the air is too bad and we were given respirators. So the switch and shorter shift helps a lot. 
The fire maps are really hard to follow and they change a lot. The Willamette is the big river that runs right through the middle of PDX from South to North. It divides the city into East/West. Clackamas County is right next to PDX and considered a suburb on the SE side. Not sure if that helps you orient. If you see Sandy, which is East of PDX, you will see a town called Estacada. My friends place was SE of that. She was in the country. They’ve worked hard to keep Estacada from burning. Lots of smaller spot fires in between the bigger ones on the maps you see. Not sure what is going on over there now. I’m kind of afraid to look. I know there was an area of Clackamas the fighters had to retreat and give it up. 
Our work has a lot of folks in hotels right now. All the staff in Medford lost their homes. All of them. One of our colleagues just moved there last month as his wife finished Residency and took a job there. They just bought that house. They and their baby are safe and in PDX with another colleague right now. 

Loreficent

Sep-13

Yeah. Not sure I’ve ever seen UV index of Zero. I think it is One now. AQI down to 422. I’ve learned more about AQI with this than I ever knew! How blessed I’ve been to have never had to think about it before. Clean air is not to be taken for granted. How the heck did we smoke??? Why??? WTH. 
Oh, the song was “Sound of Silence”. 
Whoppi is wheezing. I may have to call the vet....

• Edited September 13, 2020 6:41 pm  by  Loreficent
Loreficent

Sep-13

I guessing was Riverside Fire in Sandy. I can’t keep them straight. There are a lot and some merged and some may and some won’t. I live here and can’t figure it out. So...I just read an article about this one family that evacuated and then has evacuated two times since from the evacuation sites. Can’t imagine. 
Right now I’m visualizing the animals and pets coming out of the haze at the end. Waiting for call at vet to take Whoopi in. You have to wait in the car till they call your phone. She is very wheezy. I think little dogs do that more to begin with? Not sure. She is the only little one I had. Max came in car too and Daughter walking him by Emergency Vet place. Good for them. Not in the house for a little bit. 

TinyBadger

Sep-13

I hope little whoopi is ok! It's always scary when a pet isn't doing well. But they will get her fixed up, good as new. We have to wait in our cars for.the vet, too. Then they come out and get your dog, bring him in and see him. They call you from inside and talk about what they see and then bring him back out. It's a little weird but best for all parties involved. I can't believe your smoky stoplight picture! That's unreal! We've had our fair share of fires but I've never seen anything like that. Right now we can't really see the mountains around us, just faint outlines. We do have some fires going here, but I imagine some of it is coming from the west. When the west burns we generally know. People say it's about the jet stream but I'm not meteorologist, so don't quote me on that. Just looks very overcast and hazy. So I'm in a way better air quality situation than you are. Please don't worry yourself sick. I can hear the fear in your posts and I feel like I need to reassure you that it's going to be ok. You have your family and animals, you have friends, you have so much to help get through this crisis. You're a helper, remember ? We always look for the helpers. Those are the thinkers and doers that help us be safe. You're going to be ok, and because of you, other people are going to be ok. Put that in your heart, and remember that the end of this is coming. I've been typing and deleting the end of this message for about 25 minutes now, and I admit all my usual perk sounds like total crap in the face of what's going on. Know that I do not understand what you are going through, but I do have deep sorrow for what's happening in your area. So much loss. It makes my heart heavy and I think thats the best I've got. No magic upbeat words from me. I'm sorry. I'm just sorry.