About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First 10 days review   General Chit-Chat

Started 5/6/20 by Musivore; 112099 views.
Loreficent

5/14/20

You are correct DebraAnne...I’m sorry for the intrusion...we will redirect and keep our focus where it ought to be. Thank you for the reminder. 

Loreficent

5/17/20

Went on a long and cleansing walk today and came across this intriguing Portland garden in a window. Sure hope this MAC died of natural causes rather than smoking related illness. It did give some ideas on what to do with one I have in my basement...

Had to come back and say I was so interested to see what it looked like inside. I imagine there may be some guts missing maybe to make room for the plants. 

Eve1973

5/17/20

Interesting use of repurposing. Going to have to take a picture of a wagon I made out of Pallet wood. Made iT to be a planter. 

Loreficent

5/17/20

Please do! I very much love when things are repurposed. It hurts my heart so much what we are doing to our planet. I am grateful Eve that I live in a place that has a large population of people that have a passion for progress and awareness of this issue. I know folks like this are everywhere in our great nation, but having lived several other regions I do notice this area to be more dense with like minded folks. Still...I live in the city and yearn not to. I struggle daily with what feels like an internal hypocrisy as I also love the things this particular city has to offer as well. I think there as a small part of this new normal that is starting to cause me angst. I love festivals! The energy and music and expression and freedom! The crowds overwhelm me a bit, but I can easily block much of that out and get caught up in my own internal celebration. Everything cancelled of course. Rose Festival, Blues Festival, my beloved Pickathon which takes place just outside of PDX among these amazing giant trees...a good thing nowadays though is most of these things are smoke free and this year there wasn’t a need to sneak off and be the odd man out to get a fix. I guess if I liken stopping smoking to taking better care of my own personal planet or body, then it becomes a desire to NOT smoke.

What I loved most about that tiny repurposed MAC garden was the immediate awareness of the juxtaposition; the crashing and clashing of the ever advancing technological world we live in with the struggling to thrive tiny plants inside it. Very much like so much of our world now...
I wonder if that was the creators intention...? I wonder too if that is our creators intention...

CC to Musivore
Musivore

5/17/20

Hey Lori.

Just reading over your love of festivals. I love them to. However, I have had to cut down on making my way round the festivals in the UK, mainly because I have my hands full now with more children than I can manage. Just thinking, I have only heard of one or two festivals held in the U.S., so I had assumed you guys weren't into that kind of thing... it makes sense now that every state will have their own, so altogether yours will outnumber ours ten-fold.

Oh and I love the re-purposed mac. It is art, whether intended or not. Organic meets processed. Capitalism meets nature. Non biodegradable meets the cycle of life. Seems a lot going on in that mac-shaped frame?

How is non-smoking going? I'm still staying strong, but I'm a little disappointed than I'm not losing my need to smoke. The desire is still alive inside me, so I'm not convinced I won't cave in when the lockdown is lifted and I meet my smoker friends again.

Loreficent

5/18/20

Hey Muse...

You’ll have to tell me about some of your lovely festivals, or it can be something I read about today while wearing out some of old Father Time.
A wise friend once told me to me to stay the worst teenager that that father ever had in the sense of never stop giving him the run for his money. He said “you either wear time out or it wears you out...”  We will never win in the end of course, but I’m at a point in my life I’ll be damned if he won’t be several steps behind me until just the moment before I cross the finish line. I think this helps keep me not smoking, thinking about this. I put it into the thought of every minute I spend smoking it really isn’t known how much time I’m letting him get ahead, see? And since I’m not much of a gambler, it finally sunk in that I’ve given the bastard  head start enough and it’s time to quit giving him any edge as, frankly, I’m just too young to smoke. I’ve got places to go and people to see as they say. Now of course I could get hit by a truck, or struck by lightning, or, die of ecstasy if I’m lucky even. I likely have some pretty good genes?? My mom never smoked, worked until she was 82, and continued to live to 88. My dad never stopped working or smoking and lived till mid 90s. But genetics bring one back to gambling. 
And...life is not just about quantity. We are the only ones that define our individual quality. For me, I notice quality is so improved already. We read a lot of this here from everyone, yes? The breathing, the sleeping, the smell of themselves, the physical abilities, the list gets pretty long. There are the parts of life that defy words and are much deeper.  I notice them all too. I’m a person that it is helpful when I’m stressed to just look at facts. This helps because when craves hit I am more able to deconstruct them and accept that in the moment choosing to smoke won’t change the facts. 
Well, here I am nattering on and now...ready for this? Yup. I still romanticize the smoke. Would be lying if I said I didn’t. Still think there were certain ones I smoked because I just enjoyed them, and I’d be lying if I said there weren’t truth to that. So...this addiction is tough and tricky. A total mind ——. With some things in life they are just better to stick with the facts. When that wears thin, resort to intestinal fortitude. Know the end result is the telling hand. Know too, that none of us know the way it ends. Gamble if you like. Know that nobody here would judge you either way. I certainly would never in anyway.  Me, I’m saving what I was spending on smokes to go to Ireland cause it’s been a dream of mine for decades and I fully intend to out run Father Time on that one.

sorry so long...hope it helps.

Loreficent

5/24/20

So, I walk by this Agave every night. They are cool plants. Once they reach somewhere around 20 years, they put off this huge tall flower spike. The spike will usually stand a month, maybe two. This courageous one came to a full spike last October! 
Every night when I venture down there, I start to get a little nervous when I’m a couple of blocks away...I wonder if it will have finally succumbed and given its last breath. It is a sad day for the Agave as this is it’s death. This one...man...this one? I think it is an omen. It must not have smoked. Either that or it was like my dad, a smoker and still wearing out time!

They do leave pups that carry on though...
Was a good night to see it still standing.

JerseyDee

5/24/20

That is cool looking.  I know nothing about Portland though.  Is this a famous landmark?  

Loreficent

5/24/20

Good morning Dee!

No, it is a yard in a neighborhood where I live in N.E. 

Portland has so many different micro climates. And like I said we actually have drought every summer, which you’d never know because next to Seattle this is the greenest place I’ve lived. But we won’t have rain at all for about 4 months real soon here. So plants like Agave, which are Monocots, meaning they live once, bloom, and die, some specimens do very well here.They are spectacular fierce succulent plants that are usually very sharp. One type is what Mezcal is made of. Which if you are quitting smoking and don’t want to get readily and stupidily drunk, I would definitely Avoid! I’m going to go on a long walk tomorrow and see one in the SE neighborhoods which is about 5 miles from me. It’s a big deal in the plant world cause of their survival here and the years it takes to bloom. The one I’m going to see tomorrow bloomed early as it is only 18. I know about the one in the pic as I walk around here all the time. I am good friends with the owners of a Nursery here and he and his husband and I always tell each other where we find them and over the years and watch and wait. 

Loreficent

5/27/20

So...what started as a nightly trek months ago continues. And tonight I was rewarded again on my journey with the sight of what has become known as “The Agave”. Again my heart quickened as I came around the curve and it was with great relief that I saw he still stands erect and yet unwavering, his towering blooms drying in the wind. 
This was a perfect Portland evening as far as sky and weather...it truly is a night that if I didn’t have duty calling at 7am I would likely be out walking for a few more hours. Of course I do sit down on a curb or a rock or whatever for 5-10 minutes every hour or so to just turn off my music and listen to the night. Sometimes I think I about smoking still as this is what I did for so long, but on nights like tonight? Nah. Too many other things that are so fulfilling with scents and sounds, and yet still, the lack of sounds.

I know you are fed up with lockdown Dee and find it challenging. For me, my life hasn’t changed much other than wearing a mask and lines. In the grand scheme of things that stuff doesn’t matter much. Other  things that have changed I’ve grown to love very much and I will miss them. I love darkness and quiet. I love this pace and peace. I’m also very lucky to live in a relatively safe city as far as US cities go, and for the size of it and I will still be able to walk for hours with little worry. But the stillness of the night will change a lot as things open and I am not ready. Truthfully...I am not sure if I will ever be ready for things to go back to the way they were here. I guess I can keep the quiet in my heart and just carry it with me. No matter what bustle is going on, I will know it’s there.