About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First 10 days review   General Chit-Chat

Started 5/6/20 by Musivore; 67059 views.
Loreficent

Dec-14

Forgot to let you know earlier that tonight is the peak of the Geminid Meteor Shower. Not totally clear here but I’m going out for a drive to a spot closer to the Gorge and away from the city light a bit to see what I can see. Maybe would be good where you are Peggy too. 
Nice way to start winding down the year. Oh, what a year it’s been. Yeah. Hope you guys are well. Will let you know how the gazing goes. 

CC to euknight
Loreficent

Dec-14

That was amazing. Nothing like staring up into the sky and watching meteors. So busy that Space around us is and here we are, oh so caught in our troubles and tangled webs, bad designs, meaningless plots, and tentative aspirations. Mmmm. Restores a sense of balance and hope, really. Soooo, so, so needed that alone time! I love my Stanley green thermos too. Was thinking about when I went last year to see the peak that I layer there and smoked some. Had a bit of urge this year, and am counting it as another first down. Next up, my most favorite... Yule. Hmmm. Maybe Winter isn’t so bad this year after all. Jury still out on that though!joy

Have a lovely day. I’m off to bed, pile on the critters, and warm my toes. The critters seem a bit out of sorts as they aren’t used to me being out quite this late. Poor babies better sleep in. kissing_heart

TinyBadger

Dec-14

I always think about how lucky I am to stand outside and look up at the stars. S lot of people can't do that because of the buildings and city lights. It's lovely. I admit I didn't see the meteors but I bet it was really neat. It's nice to be reminded about the things you said, that we are basically specks in the universe. Cuddle on, loreficent, sleep in and enjoy the varmints. 

Loreficent

Dec-14

I love that: “cuddle on and enjoy the varmints”. Finally got to sleep around 6am, up at 8 as I had to go in and use work computer to fill out forms for my COVID vaccine. Looks like I will be getting it this week. Yay! I think???

GI_JOE (JoelJose)

Dec-14

Wow Lorie,you bought airpods pro?hope you are enjoying it.i am really enjoying my bose quiet comfort over the ear.i assume your hands are getting better seeing your eloquent posts here.i am so happy you are enjoying the time.

TinyBadger

Dec-14

Anything to keep you safe. Speaking as someone who is not a medical provider but does have contact with patients, this is a scary time. Yep, I call my dogs varmints, although I don't think max will appreciate it. You owe him big time for the antlers. You need sleep to recover, you know that! Have you seen john lately? Any coyotes? I feel like you need a turtle. We could have a name the turtle contest here. 

GI_JOE (JoelJose)

Dec-14

Hii Tiny,let me name the turtle??what about squirtle?thats a pretty name right?

CC to Loreficent
TinyBadger

Dec-14

I think that's a fine name! 

Loreficent

Dec-14

Saw John last night. He continues to amaze me. Haven’t seen a Coyote for about 5-6 days. 
Turltle, eh? Hmmm. Well, you’re likely in your jammies, so settle on in, grab a nice cup of tea, and I’ll tell you a bedtime story. So, back in 1996 I was living in Seattle and had started dating daughter’s dad, who loved out a little ways away. I was driving back one morning on state roads, and lo and behold, I see something up ahead crossing the road, but not quickly. So I slow down and as I get close enough, make out that it is a turtle. So the road wasn’t busy but there were cars. I stopped right then, a car went by coming my way but he wasn’t near the center line. So I got out and picked him up. Now, here’s the thing. Washington has turtles, but only water turtles. This here was definitely a Box Turtle. Now I don’t know species well, but I knew he was definitely not a native species, being a box turtle. So I took him in to the Vet, who couldn’t identify him, but gave me a friend of his name up at UW that would know. So, I arrange to meet this guy next day. He identified him as “Three Toed Box Turtle” that is native to the far SE states, and said he looked to be about 20 years old. He told me they see them periodically as they are sold as “pets” but folks don’t realize how long they live and after a decade or so, “set them free” as they are tired of caring for them. He told me “Do not do this, he won’t survive the winter”.  So, I stop on the way home and buy a big old aquarium and everything else the guy said I would need to set up his home, and named him “Sushi”. Yeah. Morbid. But funny! He was safe with me as far as that went. So, in 2001 after University I moved down to Atlanta with who is now the Ex. Of course, took all my critters who I had at the time which was 2 dogs, 2 cats, and Sushi. We all lived happily down there until 2004. At that time, it was decided we were moving to PDX. So, Now I have a toddler, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 Hampisters, and Sushi. So, I went to this Nature Preserve outside Atlanta that has an Education Center. They said they would be more than happy to give Sushi a new forever home, in his native state, in a huge reptile habitat they had which was way bigger and nicer than the aquarium I had, although I did take very good care of him. They also informed me, that (at that time) he was a CITES Level 2 Protected Species. Yeah. Idiots scavenge them from the wild as there are laws about how big a turtle has to be to sold in pet stores since so many silly young kids in the 70s used to take those little water turtles one could get in a pet store a d put them in their mouths and end up with Salmonella. Go figure. Anyway, they are scavenged so much from the wild their numbers dwindled and they won’t breed in captivity. So...yeah, they took him, he was very happy, I was happy, and the rest of us moved to PDX. 
So...moral of the story is, don’t put turtles in your mouth!joy

As far as me needing one? Nope. No more critters in cages for me. I don’t support that. 

Night night Tiny!