About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Lung Cancer   One Year and Beyond Milestones

Started Jun-13 by skythrutrees; 4333 views.
skythrutrees

Aug-27

PT is Physical Therapy.

Loreficent

Aug-27

Hey there, 

Thank you for confirming that. I figured it was from reading through your conversations. Hope that is ok. 
Writing there was also a space to acknowledge the loss of Rich to you and his other friends here, and to our community in general. You too have been a very strong force and testament for us newer folks. I really appreciate you guys and gals coming back to help us stay on track. Rich never wavered from that. I enjoy following your story as well and find inspiration there too, so thank you!
Stay well!

Anne2020

Aug-28

Thank you.  I couldn't figure it out. 

skythrutrees

Aug-28

Thank you. I reread this thread, including the post from Rich. His story is such a reinforcing testament for fighting the good fight and winning for such a long time considering his condition.

I've had 5 immunotherapy infusions now and the fatigue, my only side effect, has lessened. I've also noticed a big improvement in my walking speed and no labored breathing. I will have a PET scan next month, which will indicate how I'm doing. I will post the results.

Stay safe!

Mike

Loreficent

Aug-28

Hi Mike,

Rich’s journal is one of the first ones I read on here. You are amazing in your fight too! Sounds like you’ve been riding for quite some time. I’ve no doubt you will be back to it soon. Can’t imagine dealing with all of this and the pandemic as well. Add in the Florida heat/ humidity and I’m sure that makes the side effects extra hard. Immunotherapy is fascinating. Sounds like you are on the mend. Is PT targeted for breathing or does the treatment cause other muscle effects? It must be nerve wracking to wait for the PET scan. 
Are you a Florida native? Hopefully not too close where Covid is the worst. I wish folks could really grasp the mask part’s role for folks like you. We all need to take better care of each other. Yes, please keep us posted on your progress, as I said, your story is inspiring and I’m rooting for you to get back on that bike real soon!

Take good care,

Lore

• Edited August 28, 2020 12:03 pm  by  Loreficent
skythrutrees

Aug-28

Thanks, Lore,

Sometimes, I feel like I'm on house arrest without yard privileges, lol! I've been single for years and once had agoraphobia, fear of open places, so I was well trained to stay confined! I have most things delivered, and only go to the grocery once a week, early in the morning when few people are there. And I double mask!

I'm an amateur videographer. What I miss the most is taking videos in the many natural reserves and the shoreline at the Gulf of Mexico, and biking of course. In a couple months, I can do all those activities, I hope. I moved to Southwest Florida in 86.

I was still extremely weak when I was discharged from the hospital in late April, so PT helped me to build my physical strength as well as improve my breathing. I do climb the stairs in my apartment building for exercise now and can go out early in the morning.

Thank you for your support!

Mike

Loreficent

Aug-28

Wow Mike. What a time to have to go through this. I can’t imagine not being able to just head out and walk when the desire strikes. Agoraphobia is tough. I’m glad you overcame it, likely with a lot work, yes? Have you ever used a camera on your bike helmet? That could be a fun project maybe. I’ve only been to Panama City on the Gulf side and that was many years ago. The beach was lovely. Some day I hope to get to the Everglades. The beaches between Atlantic, Pacific, and Gulf are so different and there are things I love about all of them. 
You are a testament to resilience! Not just physically, but resilience of Spirit. Are you able to take a drive and go to some of the preserves and walk some? I’m sure you miss the outdoors badly and it is so healing. Would have to be done in a very deliberate and safe way for you of course. Does Immunotherapy deplete the bodies immune defenses like Chemo? 

skythrutrees

Aug-28

I have a camcorder and an action cam that mounts on the handlebars of my bike. I bought it because I loved the ad and thought I could use it. The ad listed all the things you could film with it, like skateboarding, skiing, jumping off a cliff, then filming the view from inside the ambulance. So funny! I wanted it to film underwater, but got poor results because the river and the Gulf in Fort Myers are so polluted. :(

When I was diagnosed with bladder cancer in 2012, it didn't affect me emotionally like it does to some people. I didn't freak out, rather I asked the doctor what the treatment was. I had the same reaction when I was diagnosed this time. I think it would be a different reaction if the cancer was all over the place, but it's confined to the lower lung base at this point. I'm lucky that immunotherapy is used today. The side effects are minimal, not like radiation or chemo at all.

Mike

Loreficent

Aug-29

That sounds fun! Making videos from the handlebars. Different perspective. Sad about how the under water stuff worked out. All the pollution is a motivator for me to get to the Everglades soon...while there is still something there.

I don’t think I’d be that calm with a cancer diagnosis. Hope to never find out how I’d be. All the warnings on smoke packs, and still we did it. No warnings about the insidious addiction aspect of it. Though...I’m not sure that would have stopped me as a teen. We all know teens are invincible, right?

Im glad the side effects aren’t like radiation or chemo. Hopefully the knowledge and technology continues to advance in that area! You will be back on your bike real soon I bet!

Loreficent

Sep-17

Hi Mike,

Checking in afternoon the storm. You fare ok where you are? Hope all is well! 
Somebody told me rainbows are coming. Let us know you’re doing all right there.