About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Getting sick sucks   Quit Support

Started Jul-10 by smokelesstim; 272 views.
smokelesstim

Jul-10

Hi everyone.

I quit on the 9th of June. The first 9 days I recall being the most excruciating and then the next two and a half weeks have actually not been that hard. I take this with a grain of salt, knowing very well, that cravings can resurface any time in the first year, but it seemed to be going well. I was exercising regularly and eating more, but still healthy. So yesterday I officially reached 1 month, which seemed like a solid foundation for a long term quit. However, today I got sick- sniffles and fever (hopefully not corona) and obviously I couldn't go for a run. This has really messed me up- I'm actually feeling intense cravings again for the first time in almost three weeks. It's not as bad as they were, but it is enough to drive me back to this site. Anyways, I'm staying strong and will make it through this, but just needed to vent a little. Thanks for allowing me to share.

Oh, one more thing: if you're looking for a mantra, the quote that's kept me on the straight and narrow is one by Churchill: "If you're going through hell, keep going..." Hope it works for you as well. Enjoy your weekend, guys!

SusanK1960

Jul-10

Hi Tim,

It is wonderful you have found us and nice to meet you!  Congratulations on being smoke free for 1 month!  

Those thoughts of “just one” will continue for a few more months.  Just let them roll over you.  It is just the addiction slowly dying! I’m sorry to hear you aren’t feeling well and hope you feel better soon. Take care of yourself for the next few days and hopefully you will bounce back quickly.

Hi there smokless,

The whole first year can be like a roller coaster ride.  You are going along pretty good then these waves of cravings can hit seemingly out of nowhere.   When we are not feeling up to par, cravings can feel overwhelming.  

Keep staying strong.  It takes a warrior to quit smoking.

Deciphering the Urge to Smoke 

H.A.L.T. (which stands for Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired) is a powerful checklist to help you decode the urges to smoke that you experience. 

Learn Why the First Year of Smoking Cessation is So Important

euknight

Jul-13

Hi Tim,

How are you feeling?

congrats on your quit!  Looks like a couple weeks under your belt.  Are you going cold turkey?  I asked because I got the quitters flu....very discouraging so backed up and visited my doc.

Who knows....maybe you are better now.  Hope so.  Never apologize for venting.  When I had my first melt down a wonderful sister on this site encouraged me and gave me permission to do that.  Thank you sweet Lore and Eliza too!!  That was bad.

Anyway do not hesitate, take the pledge and keep us updated with what is going on with you

Peggy

5-8-20

smokelesstim

Jul-18

Hi!

Thanks for the tip, but for the most part, it seems like this mnemonic device doesn't apply to me: I've lost 65 pounds (before I quit) in about a year, so my eating habits are very good. I'm used to being somewhat hungry and this isn't the issue. In fact, given that I allow myself 1 cheat day a week, I've discovered that those days are even worse: eating fat and sugar brings on more cravings than hunger does. I'm Eastern European, so that means we don't really get angry either- being dull is kind of a defining trait of ours. :D Feeling lonely is apt- I'm definitely doing better, when I'm out of town with friends for the weekend, rather than staying home alone on a Saturday night. Finally, thank you for pointing out being tired- I never really considered it a factor.

In reply toRe: msg 5
smokelesstim

Jul-18

Hi!

Thanks for the kind wishes. I did go cold turkey- may have to do with the male ego, but seemed like the right way to do this.  Come Tuesday will be 6 weeks. So I guess the worst of it should be starting to pass. I'm trying to look at the positive side of it: for example, I've read that most people start to loose their nicotine receptors after about 3 months. While I know this deadline doesn't mean that the struggle is over, I really look forward to not constantly salivating at thought of nicotine. Also, I'm actually starting to notice, that the sensation of my gums is getting better- I didn't even realise, that the nerve endings to the skin of the inside of my mouth had been desensitised. I'm also obsessed with looking at the Smoke Free app: finding out how different aspects of my health are approving: for example, today my circulation has improved about 43%. Now, I know this number is random and at 26 years old my risk of heart disease is very low, but it still offers a fun and constant positive reinforcement.

Looking forward to putting this nasty habit behind me and moving on. I quit June 9, thinking I'll have the summer to readjust and given that I won't start grad school till September, I'm hoping by then I'll be able to fully focus and concentrate without nicotine in my life.

Thanks for the support, y'all!

TinyBadger

Jul-18

I have an app, too. I do find it motivating to learn about the benefits of quitting. Like you, I feel like it does reinforce the progress I'm making. You're doing a great job, cold turkey, even! Be proud of yourself! What an amazing life change you have made, and it's definitely no cake walk. Keep it up!