About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

24 - 72 hours   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Jul-19 by TARDISgirl11; 1038 views.
Jokelli

Aug-1

You are very welcome! Congratulations on making it to day 43, that is not easy. I think you are right, when you are helping to cheer on others you are also cheering on yourself. Support is so important when you are making a big life change which is what quitting smoking is. It is a lifestyle change and a huge one. Keep doing what you are doing, you are an inspiration to so many others, I can tell!  

In reply toRe: msg 5
Jokelli

Aug-4

Keep going Lyney! You are doing an amazing job!! Do you have any tips or tricks to help others get to the same point you are at ? 

TARDISgirl11

Aug-10

Hey guys,

I've made it 24 days without any nicotine!! I'm so happy. Should probably change the name of the thread. Got back from Iowa on Friday, don't even feel like smoking anymore :D

TinyBadger

Aug-10

Good for you! You're doing a great job and I know you can keep going. Don't get complacent...you might get another urge sometime so be on your guard. But in the meantime, celebrate and do something to reward yourself. This is a big deal and don't you forget it! I'm very proud of your progress! 

xvaper

Aug-11

Wow, 24 hours is so impressive, I know it was for me, I did not think I would make it one evening. Day 43 for me! can you believe?

Loreficent

Aug-14

Hey Lady! How are you? Hope all is well...hope some giant tree hasn’t taken you out!!! You didn’t get dragged into some van did you? 

xvaper

Aug-15

Hi Lori,

No I was just super busy. I just saw a friend of mind, also names Lori. From Lorelei.

45 days! The last two evenings the cravings were just a thought, and then went away. I am, however going to my friend's cabin from the 3-y September, and she is a light smoker, and there will be someone else who smokes and I want to go because its my. only chance to have a vacation of sorts. There is a lake there I can swim in, and I love swimming. Anyhoo, how are you?  Have you noticed any changes in your reaction to cravings? how is Portland? and how is your aunt?

Loreficent

Aug-15

Hey there X!

Oh, 45 days is fantastic!! Congrats!

Just got home. Portland is HOT! Got up to 100 here today, and my house is 91. Ugh. Sun going down soon and hopefully with window fans it will cool off a bit to sleep. Fortunately it doesn’t get that hot here too much...but when it it does...ugh. This is a pretty old house, no AC. That’s not very common here, not even all the new construction has it. Wish I had Peggy’s pool right now! Other than that, PDX seems to be ok. It’s early Saturday though, so we’ll see. I’m home for the night as I work again at 7am. Supposed to be a scorcher again...

That’s funny your friend went from Lorelei to Lori. I actually changed it legally in my 20s, and now regret it. Still have the Ex’s last name too and am wanting to drop that...after 14 years divorced,Lol! Not sure why I took it to begin with...? Then everyone told me how “confusing “ it would be for daughter to have her parents with different names, so I just left it. That doesn’t bother me as much as my regret on the first name really. My Mom had chosen it...I kind of look at last names as they aren’t really ours anyway, usually our Father’s.  I love the hyphenated way Hispanic culture does it to honor both lines. And my Father was definitely a very good man, so it’s not that at all. Anyway...rambling. So why did your friend go with Lori? Does she ever use the full name? I think when I do change it back I will use Lore. Suits my rambling, haha! My siblings still call me that, as did my folks till they passed. But mostly...it’s about my Mom whom I miss dearly. Such a pain to change everything though. 
Aunt is back in CA. She is sick actually and has been progressively worse and went to the ER last night there. They did another test on her but no results yet. So, maybe Covid..? Seems most who get it take a turn down between day 7-10 so the timing is right. I feel bad as she is alone there. She is still smoking a lot of weed though...so...I’m sure that isn’t gonna help the lungs any. Tried to talk about it on phone last night but she has a huge amount of denial on it. 
My craves were a lot better today. Didn’t think about it at all till after work, and then just wanted to be in car with the AC. Turned up the music and forgot about it. I think they were strong for a few days after she left as I felt, and feel there is a fair amount to process still. But...better. I do not want to feed the addict constantly and certainly don’t want to lose the gains I’ve made physically! So...I just watch them come and go. Let my mind wander to other useless stuff. 
That trip you have planned sounds great! Do you think you’ll do ok around the smoke? I think you CAN  for sure. Makes it a bit of a challenge but you strike me as someone who can rise to that and say “bugger off” pretty easily. I think it isn’t just being around it, it is who the person is too. It didn’t bother me a lot to be around my piano teacher when he smoked after our lesson, but it would have bothered me a ton to be at my house with it. Or to have someone here smoking like if Georgie had not been quit. But yes, you should go on the trip. We all need R&R. I think if you really set your mind to not wanting to start the process over, you will be fine. 
Ok...time to go finish some work stuff and maybe short walk. Love going on the warmest nights. All the smells...and now, the crickets too. Mmmmm.

• Edited August 15, 2020 11:43 pm  by  Loreficent
xvaper

Aug-16

Oh Dear, no AC? I just shelled $1500 to fix my ac. Can't live without it. I made such declarations about quitting, I think it would be very embarrassing to take one in front of my friend and I am pretty sure she would not give me one anyways, I would have to go but it.

I know too many smokers I cannot avoid them. I think you think I am stronger than I am..I hope I will pass the test, but I am being optimistic. Which is more than I can say about the Post office. Anyyyhoooooo, I hope Georgie will be ok. I hope to hear more Georgie stories when you get the chance.

My friend never changed her name legally but everyone calls her Lori.

Rainy day here. Which is OK with me.