About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Cold Turkey   General Chit-Chat

Started Jul-29 by Anne2020; 1014 views.
Anne2020

Jul-29

That is so interesting.  My 'stuff' as you say was also, to my surprise and delight, very minimal as well.  I noticed too that I have no lingering wants to smoke either.  I am now 7 months quit - totally nicotine free.  

• Edited July 29, 2020 12:22 pm  by  Anne2020
Amicahomi

Jul-29

Congratulations.  Like you, I hardly ever think about smoking.  Came here to thank the forum for its helpful part in my quit, and wanted to help another if i could.  Mindless computer games also helped keep idle hands busy.  Inconvenience, social pressure and expense were also motivating factors.  Negative examples, health scares, don't work for me.

alreadysick

Jul-30

Count your blessings. I quit cold turkey after smoking 46 yrs. I am now heading for month 13 of smobriety. I still have cravings and triggers. Waiting on the 'peace' has really been tough. I have confidence that it will come eventually, as many on this forum have assured me that all in good time I will receive it.

You hang in there. You are doing amazingly well!

Anne2020

Jul-30

oh wow, that is markedly different from the experience I had.  13 months is a long time to keep fighting off cravings. I totally commend you on your strength and determination.  If I may ask, do you have allot of difficult days or are they periodic and, is the time between cravings increasing or is it the same as in the beginning?      I am wondering if, after having such an easy time quitting, the cravings are going to come back to make my days more difficult to manage.  May I also ask, do you miss smoking?   

Thanks for sharing.

arlcruise

Jul-30

Day 35. Cold Turkey. I think it is the way. Have you been to whyquit,  Joel's site" They have a Cold Turkey only board.

Anne2020

Jul-30

I have actually.  It's a good site for articles and such.  There are allot of articles on this site as well.   I wanted to get some input from other Cold Turkey's as there is a difference in the experience of quitters who don't use NRT's or drugs and those who do.  I noticed a few things that are the same but for the most part the whole experience seems to be quite different.  I did not have prolonged desires to smoke nor did I feel like I was missing out.  After the 3rd day there was no way I wanted even one puff of a cigarette let alone a bunch of them.  I have had some rather edgy days but not because I wanted to smoke.   Just edgy days, that's all.  I do have them once in awhile.   Usually just stress from everyday living.   

How about you?   

arlcruise

Jul-31

I did not experience much if any nicotine withdrawal that I was aware of. All was/is mental. I believe I did/do like smoking, it was a fun thing to do. Like playing a video game or riding my motorcycle etc. But with much stronger pull to do it. I still get moments when I have a "would be nice to have a smoke". I guess that is a crave. They seem to be dwindling, but I am aware there are going to be more coming as moments bring memories. I am fortunate that I really studied Joel's material. I cannot admit that I don't miss smoking yet. I do. But I have so much time on my hands and that doesn't help. Also the fact that I smoked for 45 years helped deepen the roots of addiction I am sure. Everything Joel has written puts all in perspective and I owe him immense gratitude. I also agree with him that cold turkey is the most successful way, and I believe stats back that up. Bottom line for me is right now I could happily smoke again so the fight is still on.

alreadysick

Jul-31

I would say that my difficult days are now a periodic thing. The time between cravings is getting longer. Yes, I do still miss smoking. I quit because I got really scared, not because I wanted to. I think that makes a big difference in how one looks at their quit. I was scared, and still am, because I got a lung CT scan that showed that I had mild emphysema and some lung nodules. I recently had another scan and all but one of the lung nodules have resolved. The emphysema has not worsened, so it was definitely worth it to quit, but I think I will have a hard time not thinking about smoking for some time.

Molly010

Aug-1

I quit cold turkey 2 years ago today.  I had tried to quit using other aids and always went back to smoking.  After reading Allen Carr's book, I realized the aids were keeping me addicted to nicotine.  The aids seemed to make my anxiety and my cravings worse.   Probably because I was so addicted to the nicotine and I kept putting it back in my body.  

That said, I was really ready to be done with cigarettes.  I did have some pretty bad cravings the first two weeks, but I just knew I wasn't going to buy cigs.  If you were forced to quit like alreadysick was, then I think the experience would have been different.  There is something to being "ready" to quit.  Going cold turkey was the best thing for me.  I also did not want to have to wean myself off of any quit aids.  I just wanted to be done.

• Edited August 1, 2020 10:38 am  by  Molly010
DanJF3

Aug-1

I quit January 1, 2020 so 7 months in.  At the start I would have never thought I would make it 7 months based on past failures.  I actually read Allen Carr's book a couple days after I quit and that was a major aid in helping change my mind set about smoking and critical to helping me stay quit.  The withdrawal symptoms were a bit uncomfortable as they were every other time I tried to quit but once you get past that 4th day or so, it's pretty much just mental at that point.  I can't deny that I enjoyed smoking although the stress of what it was doing to me these past few years did push me to attempt to quit.  The occasional crave still pops up from time to time but they are not super strong and I am hopeful they really do go away at some point but if not it's just a matter of taking things one day at a time.