About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

2 Years Smoke Free Today   One Year and Beyond Milestones

Started Aug-1 by Molly010; 584 views.
Molly010

Aug-1

Hello fellow quitters,

Today I reached my two year milestone.  Like many of you I quit a thousand times before this last time.  The best advice I can give is "don't smoke."  I know that sounds ridiculous, but the more you can get past those strong cravings that make you want to jump in your car and buy a pack, the stronger you will get and the more confident you will be about beating the nicodemon.

I hardly think about smoking at all anymore and it is a wonderful thing.  Looking back I see how much it controlled me.  Felt like a shameful habit and I was constantly thinking about where I could smoke, whether I had enough cigarettes to last throughout the day.  Was I going somewhere I couldn't smoke?  All of that is gone now.  The first year was the most difficult but this forum was instrumental in helping me quit.  

If you are a newbie, it gets better.  I promise!  Just put your head down and keep going.  

Molly,

BIG Congrats again on 2 yrs quit. I am still loving being a quitter. My brain still has memories of me smoking and will remind me sometimes that I used to smoke. I sometimes think about a cig when I am enjoying my coffee...just a beep. My brain still registers and remembers that I used to smoke. It used to be like a 3 alarm fire alarm, now only a weak beep/ping sometime. I know I am stressed out due to pandemic and my bank closing and trying to get everything straight and back in balance. I know significant stress can trigger a (weak) thought/ping about a cig now for me. It could also be more nicotine receptors shutting down. Anywho, we made it another year. I am still joyful, at peace, happy with the freedom from smoking. Glad to not be smoking during this pandemic also. 

(I was gonna BUMP your year quitting thread but will not now since you wrote this). Thanks for being on the quitting journey...it really helped us when we needed it the most.

Here's to our 3rd year. I am striving for my wings. Smoking is NOT an option for me. Still got my armor on.

Gloria

Freedom since July 2018...How Sweet it is!!sunflower

Liv2day

Aug-1

I wanted to come over to your thread & properly congratulate you on your 2 year milestone......

2 years is an awesome milestone... the hard work has been done, and now a smoke-feee life feels not only comfortable, but a normal way of life!

I was a closet smoker for the last 8 years of my smoking career, so yeah, I know exactly what you’re saying.... constantly agonizing about having enough smokes, when I could have my next smoke, etc, etc. UGH!!!! LOL 

Enjoy your special day... you certainly deserve it! :)

slowblumer

Aug-2

Molly010 said:

I hardly think about smoking at all anymore and it is a wonderful thing.  Looking back I see how much it controlled me.  Felt like a shameful habit and I was constantly thinking about where I could smoke, whether I had enough cigarettes to last throughout the day.  Was I going somewhere I couldn't smoke?  All of that is gone now.  The first year was the most difficult but this forum was instrumental in helping me quit.  

Hi Molly,

You said exactly how I felt smoking.   Winter's were the worst, worrying I had enough if I was snowbound.  

Congratulations on 2 big years.  It will get even better from here on in.

You are in the 80% chance to remain smoke free club now.  Woo Hoo!

Jatchat

Aug-3

Congratulations Molly well done, surviving two years of cravings though I guess they have diminished somewhat by now, thanks for posting and let us newbies know that it is possible,Do you plan to celebrate? Dinner out perhaps Covid permitting. Enjoy your freedom

Kind regards

Anthony

Molly010

Aug-4

Thank you Gloria,

Still trying to message you unsuccessfully and can't figure out the problem.  Was able to send a private message to an old message you sent me in October of last year, but not to the new message.  Go figure!  

Anyway, glad you took this journey with me and we are moving on to three years now.  I think about smoking occasionally and wouldn't call it a trigger - more like a memory.  I am also joyful and so happy not to be smoking.  Looking forward to getting our wings!  

Molly010

Aug-4

Thank you Liv2day!

I was a closet smoker for a while too!  That is even more difficult.  Hoping no one sees you that you know, etc.  I became a closet smoker after I told everyone I quit but really didn't quit.  After a while I told a few friends.  All in all, I think I smoked for 34 years on and off.  

Congratulations on your quit!  How far along are you?

Molly010

Aug-4

Thank you Marge for all your support and continued to support for all the newbies!  You were such an inspiration for us.  Just knowing you good be smoke free for a few years is helpful.  :)

Molly010

Aug-4

Hi Anthony!

Glad to see you are still here and working at it.  Did not do much on my actual day but we are supposed to go away for a couple of days just about an hour from here.  Looking forward to that.  We rented a cabin that is dog friendly.  I will bring wipes and we will disinfect everything when we get there.  I have not done much since this all started so I am looking forward to it.  

How is your quit going?  

Jatchat

Aug-5

Hi Molly,

My quit went down the gurgler last night, am trying to beat this addiction of mine, but with cigarettes in the house it's really hard.

Enjoy your stay away, you deserve a break, a change of scenery will do wonders for your spirit and recharge your batteries

Take care my friend

Kind regards

Anthony