About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Evening cravings   Quit Support

Started Aug-1 by xvaper; 794 views.
xvaper

Aug-1

32 days clean. Evenings are the worst!  I do ok in the daytime but in the evenings I get this nervous knot in my stomach and my brain starts trying to bargain with me. Do others experience the same?

In reply toRe: msg 1
TinyBadger

Aug-1

Mornings are the worst for me, every morning I get up and frantically search for cigarettes. But this isn't about me. My husband struggles very badly from 9 pm on. He generally goes to bed about one and I go to sleep early so he's on his own. He describes a knot in his stomach, a tightness in his chest and throat and inability to focus. Sometimes he'll wake me up and I rub his back and hair. Other times he gets on our stationary bike and pedals away. I've had to go to the store with him at midnight to get snacks before. I think getting out helped as much as the snacks. He isn't using nrt and so he has a lot of hand to mouth fixation right now. Thank gosh he's skinny. He also likes sunflower seeds, brushing his teeth and playing video games. Movies seem to hard to concentrate on. He has a cup with a straw for him that we can wash, the plastic straw is bigger than a disposable one, so it's closer to the size of a Marlboro. It's also better for the environment. We keep lots of tea and juices around for only that cup. When all else fails, he goes to bed. I have an app on my phone called calm and it has meditations sleep stories so he listens to those. You aren't alone, he struggles a lot too, and he's over 30 days in. Have hope, take heart, because this will pass. He says the cravings last less than 10 minutes so if he can just make it that long, he's ok. Post an sos if you get desperate, there's usually someone around. 

xvaper

Aug-1

Thank you so much, you describe exactly how I feel. I do not want to go to. the corner store in the. evenings, so that I will not be tempted to. a pack, now that I threw out all my vaping gear. I need to order pumpkin seeds with the shell, I really like those. I have a glass straw I will try your trick. Tonight is especially difficult but I wont give in.  Just sucks that it is so difficult!

In reply toRe: msg 3
TinyBadger

Aug-1

Don't go to that store! To try to keep him away from stores, I tried ordering sunflower seeds online and boy, Amazon has a very small selection. I've ordered some treats for him, so that he gets a treat every 3 days or so from Amazon. It really perks him up. What do you enjoy doing that isn't vaping? Reading, crafts, playing an instrument? My therapist says that repetitive motion helps with anxiety, so she recommended crafts, exercise, coloring and the like. It sounds lame but I listen to podcasts while coloring or cross-stitching. It really soothes me. The straw thing REALLY helps.

xvaper

Aug-1

I have some coloring books..I. will have to find the time to start them again. I will let you know what worked.

Forget Amazon, try NUTS.com!

In reply toRe: msg 5
TinyBadger

Aug-2

I'm going to have to look into this site, thanks!

In reply toRe: msg 5
TinyBadger

Aug-2

I just wanted to thank you for recommending nuts.com. that site is awesome and my husband and I ordered some treats today. I can hardly wait to try out the nuts and treats! I didn't realize you can buy red pistachios. Weird...

xvaper

Aug-5

I got so many things from them including dried crunchy chick peas and coconut powder that I put in my smoothie. Plus they are very reasonably priced, and yes they do have more esoteric stuff. 

How are you doing dear? I'm ok, no big crisis yesterday/today. Had lunch with a none smoker so no temptation for an after meal ciggie. First time in a restaurant since Covid (outdoor), was strange.

In reply toRe: msg 8
TinyBadger

Aug-5

I'd like to say I'm doing great, but honestly, this day has sucked for quitting. I haven't smoked, but boy, I want to. REALLY bad. I've been at work so that helps, but I had to meet a patient outside and all the smokers were sitting there. It nearly killed me. So my husband brought me my sippy cup with a straw and loads of ice and water. I've sucked three of them down and I'm sure my bladder will be floating. I have some pistachios I'm going to crack open soon. Not the fancy red ones, the salt and pepper ones I love. Man, this blows. I'm so freaked out because I get off the patch entirely on Saturday, and I'm going camping the weekend after. Hopefully I'm not a jerk.  On the bright side my nuts.com delivery should be here Friday. At least that's something to look forward to. I'm so glad you are doing good, that's great! You're kicking this thing to the curb and I know you can do it! I hope you realize the progress you have made and are proud of yourself, because you should be!

xvaper

Aug-5

I am proud, but like you I am also scared and have my moments, like a couple of evenings ago. Honestly I don't thinks the patches do much for you at this point. The physical nicotine addiction only lasts a few days for most people (took me two weeks but that's rare).

The reward systems re-wiring itself is what takes the longest and that's what's kicking your ass right now. Your brain is lying to you. Try to ride it out as much as you are able to You definitely can do it.