About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Here I go!!   Quit Support

Started Aug-3 by Sambo2354; 244 views.
Sambo2354

Aug-3

Hello everyone. I have decided that my quit day is tomorrow. I have all my supplies ready including a newly acquired hobby for this very task- knitting! I have suffered extreme anxiety and depression for years and I have definitely used smoking as a crutch. However, I have really bad health anxiety and I'm terrified of getting sick due to smoking. It keeps me awake at night and eventually I end up getting out of the bed.... to go and smoke I have had enough of this pain and worry caused by smoking. Im terrified I won't succeed AND terrified of living without cigarettes. I pray I can find the strength.  Thanks for having me here? 

Jatchat

Aug-3

Hi Sambo,

Congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking, you will not regret it, I suffered from psychotic depression but I started exercising and reduced then eliminated my meds and now rely solely on exercise for my good endorphins, But as for the cigarettes, knowledge is power so read as many articles as you can on quitting, this site and forum is very helpful, The moderators post some excellent articles, Join the August quitters forum and like minded quitters will soon join you in supporting your quit, this can be found under the Discussions Tab to the left of your page. I am using NRT, I was a heavy smoker for 40 years, and find it helpful, but the choice is yours. Have you spoken to your Doctor about quitting he may give you helpful advice. Gather a support team around you, family friends, professionals, like a quit smoking counselor or psychologist who will help you, and so you can be accountable.

Good luck,

Kind regards

Anthony

Hello and Good Luck. Are you going cold turkey or are you using NRTs?

Gloria

Freedom since July 2018...How Sweet it is!!sunflower

TinyBadger

Aug-3

I'm excited you are quitting! It sounds like you are very prepared. I won't pretend to know what you are going through, but I will say that I have and still do suffer from anxiety and depression. I take medications for it and I go to therapy. I thought that my anxiety would go through the roof when I quit or that my depression would rear it's head and swallow me whole. I did a couple of things along with quitting (I used the patch) : I gave up coke, started drinking tons of water,  and I started going for walks. I have found that my mental health has improved dramatically now that I've quit. Smoking raised my blood pressure and made my heart beat fast. I would stress out on the deck and chain smoke. Not good for anxiety. As for the depression, I'm far from depressed. I've gained confidence and pride in myself for all that I'm continuing to accomplish. I haven't felt this good in years! I'm positive and relaxed (as relaxed as someone with anxiety can be). I think that with time, I will get the peace that everyone keeps talking about. Don't get me wrong, I struggle every day, but I'm in a better place. As an aside, my doctors are lowering some of my med doses because quitting changes how your body processes prescriptions. Good luck to you and let us know if you need anything! 

xvaper

Aug-3

Congratulations! You can do it. Try. to read as much as you can on these forums, and repeatedly, to remind yourself that this is. an addiction, a drug that hijacks your brain by stimulating your reward system. It tells you that you need the nicotine as a crutch, but it is lying to you...you c an do it. I am only. 34 days smoke free but before that I couldn't imagine getting through one evening, I already feel so much better even though I have to fight cravings, it so worth it. There is a lot of support here.

Lubbercat

Aug-4

Congrats on your decision to quit smoking.  There are numerous people on this forum that can help you out and give you lots of suggestions.  I used NRT and have just been off the 7 mg patches for a little over 2 days now and just coming up on 4 weeks of being quit later this week.  You can do this whether with NRT or without.  I drank lots of ice water...........ice water through a straw is the best advice I received for beating the cravings.  

Good luck