About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

2nd day goes very very VERY slowly   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Aug-9 by godaMarcele; 1870 views.
godaMarcele

Aug-9

Hello everyone, 

I'm writing to this forum for a first time ever. Somehow never thought to try to get some support through my attempts to stop smoking. It is my second day of not smoking - to be exact 28 slow burning hours so far. I think the ride off the drug  now is at its worst, as it seems since I woke up I just have a one really big constant craving.

What made me stop this time? I had a terrible dream - how I commit suicide, with vivid details, really no fun. So woke up and realised, that somehow I have to gather my strength and stop harming myself. At least that's what I understood as a hidden message from my subconscious.  I'm smoking since age 13, now I'm 32. I have stopped couple of times - never lasted longer than a year. Last attempt to quit was this spring - I managed to stay of nicotine for 3 weeks, but then BOOM. quarantine was lifted in my country of residence, I went to the bar, got pretty drank and remembered the friend which I was trying to forget. 

Uf. I'm a bit worried for couple of things - I'm chaning jobs soon, this week, so I will need my mind and muy creative abilities at its best. Is it possible? As when I will start it will be pretty intense for next 3 weeks. I initally thought maybe the change of scenery, routines etc will be helpful, but now I'm afraid, that I can be taking on too much? How do you think? did you have any similar experience? Or it is only my junkie part of mind having some fun? 

Hi Marcele,

You are halfway thru the worst part. I went cold turkey and the first 3 days were the absolute worst!! Nicotine withdrawal is awful for sure. Keep Going...you can do it!! Drink ice water thru a straw, eat snacks, exercise...Distract, Distract, Distract when you have a crave. Follow your Quit plan. Pledge NOPE each morning. You can do this if you make up your mind and refuse to smoke again. My mantra was I will NEVER smoke another cig and Smoking is NOT an option. I picked and planned a Quit date. Staying busy is actually a great time to quit as you will be busy doing other things and not just sitting around craving. Be prepared for what to do when you have a crave. Do not keep cigs around. Remind yourself of your reasons to quit. I quit smoking after 42 years. You can quit too.

Gloria

Freedom since 30 July 2018...How Sweet it is!!sunflower

godaMarcele

Aug-9

But what about concentration and brain fog? Will I survive the challenges of a new job? 

xvaper

Aug-9

I am on Day 40. I am a freelance and actually became more productive and more concentrated on the latest project. I think it's a perfect time for you to quit, since you will be very busy with the new job. I honestly thought I couldn't last one day. You will be free of the worry of when you will get to have a cigaret, the smell in your hair and breath and fingers ( first impression at your new job?) so you will concentrate better at the job at hand. Do it one day at a time, don't worry about the future. What do you have to lose?

In reply toRe: msg 4
godaMarcele

Aug-9

haha, new job mostly. Day 40 seems so far away, but I remember, it feels good already. I think first 3 days are exceptionally hard, and then hopefully it will ease off. How is the creative part of working going on? I have to do some script writing for my new job, but it seems, i can only stare to the empty wall. 

xvaper

Aug-9

I am a film editor. Went so much better than I thought. Nicotine contracts your blood vessels of the brain, and makes you more lethargic. I was so much more energetic, quicker and more focused on my latest project for sure. I am also working on a script on the side :). I thought I had to vape to 'concentrate' but that's BS myth that we learned. I know its easier to recognize it than to put it into action but hey, I made it so far, and I have been smoking since I was 15, and vaping like an insane person for the past 6 years ( and smoking on the side).

Don't be afraid just try it. You're no going to jail, you are just trying to be smoke free. Different people have different tricks, drinking water, and all kinds of things, read the links and advice people give here.

So many triggers out there for sure but I just say to myself, ok, today, I wont smoke. Personally, I find that saying 'never will I ever' is too intimidating. So I  just say to myself, today I won't. I can always go back to smoking I tell myself, but lets see if I can push it another day. Let's see if I can ride the urge..Let's see if I can write or edit without smoking. Like a challenge. It's working so far.

In reply toRe: msg 6
godaMarcele

Aug-9

Hey, thank you for such a nice encouragement. Yes, of course, it is just so damn easy to go back to smoking, but it is a way more challenging to go through cravings. Though - strange thing, I was couple of times in meditation retreats called Vipassana, where for ten days you sit in silence and meditate and that's basically it - you are not allowed to do much else - it was easy. Like no cravings, no temptations to smoke, nothing. Wondering how come? Second time I went to Vipassana while I was not smoking for a month, but first one - straight after putting one cigarette off. Will try to meditate tonight, maybe that's a secret key, which helps to avoid this hard core feelings

Yes...since you chose to quit at this time. If you are prepared and planned your quit, you will be ok. Just take it one day at a time. Go to bed and start again the next day. It helps if you do have something to do...to keep you occupied. After 3 days you should be fine...whether cold turkey or if you using NRTs. Be passionate and determined to quit. One day at a time. You can do it. Just don't smoke TODAY. Go to bed and REPEAT the next day. 

Good Luck and Stay strong. Fight for your Freedom.

Gloria

Freedom since 30 July 2018...How Sweet it is!!sunflower

godaMarcele

Aug-9

Thank you, yes. I'm so looking forward for going to sleep tonight. I think it will be amazing just to escape some of the cravings at least for a short while. And tomorow will be another day, that's true. But honestly, I cannot stop thinking about going to the shop and buying cigarettes. Feels like Obsessed with it. 

TinyBadger

Aug-9

I took an American lung society class and one of the things they give you is a CD of guided meditations. I thought it was crap but I found out it isn't. Honestly, their relaxation exercises were not so good. But I did get an app called calm to help me sleep at night and it has guided meditations. I figured I'd give it a go and wow! It was relaxing! I've gotten through some urges that way, and I'd say that doing it every day has really helped my stress level. You do you- if you feel like it's helping, do it. The smoking addiction is sneaky and foul, it creeps up when you least expect it. The better your tool kit the more likely you are to stay quit. Of course, social support is very important, too. From what I know about my own quit, I need a multi-faceted approach. Water, reading,exercise, healthy snacks, social support, meditation, gardening, crafts, camping, lozenges (nrt) are helpful for me as well. Being outside is huge. Where I am, there are no stay at home orders so that helps. Plus I live in a rural area so I can stay a distance away from people. It's kind of trial and error to figure out what gets you through. The best advice I've given myself is this: if you want to smoke, immediately stop what you are doing and do something else. Get up from the TV and go for a walk, etc. Exercise and meditation/relaxation exercises have really helped me.