About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

One year of freedom   One Year and Beyond Milestones

Started Aug-30 by lindnog; 515 views.
lindnog

Aug-30

Hi everyone 

I haven’t posted on here for quite a while, but I wanted to share my first anniversary with you. (29th August)
I have had a number of previous quits behind which I failed to keep, although I was never happy to be smoking again.  

Last year I had been to visit my dentist and I had fractured a back tooth and had to go into hospital to have it taken out. My gums were not in the best of health and I was advised to stop smoking. I thought about it over and over again and the thought of loosing more teeth really filled me with dread. 
Later that week I began reading Allen Carr’s Easyway to stop smoking book, which had been my trusted aid for my earlier quits. I also had the thoughts that I didn’t want to continue smoking until it was too late and I found out I’d contracted a deadly disease  I thought that in years to come when I am given grandchildren, how much I would hate to be the grandma who smells of stale tobacco. The one who has to pop outside to smoke. 
I am so happy to say that I read the book again and I really do feel that this time it has well and truly clicked with me this time. Yes the first few months were hard especially as my husband continues to smoke, however I could see a difference in my outlook towards smoking and I felt so much more confident and happier with myself. 
During the beginning of lockdown, I did now and then have little thoughts that would pop into my head ! Yes Old Nic was trying to get me back. But no way! I am so much stronger and so much more healthier too!!

If you are just starting out on your journey to freedom, please believe me when I tell you how much better life without smoking is. No longer does my breath, hair or clothes smell. No longer do I have those panicky feelings when I’m running low on cigarettes or can’t get outside to smoke. I do have more money to spend on much better things, I have much better, healthier teeth and gums and my skin is really glowing. 
A huge thank you for the support I have received from all

the amazing people on this site who over the years have continued to offer their advice and support. 
This quit is most definitely my last 

love Linda xxx

Welcome to the 1 Year Clubhouse! You fought your addiction one day at a time and now you can be very proud of your monumental accomplishment. You definitely are no sissy!!!!

Keeping in the Quit Mindset during an entire year is no easy feat but you did it. Nice job of kicking butt! Welcome to year 2. 

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

xvaper

Aug-30

Thank. you Linda. It helps to see others who started the quit like us newbies succeed in the long run and coming back to give encouragement. I have. read and repeatedly. reading Carr's and other resources along those lines of thoughts. I'm down with everything he says but on. the larger picture, he definitely opened my mind, as well as some scientific articles about addiction. in general and Nicotine in particular. I am 61 days in and looking forward to the future of not even wanting to smoke.

lindnog

Aug-31

Thank you Debbie for your lovely message! It really does feel so much different from my previous quits which is definitely a good thing. I think I’ve learnt from experience that there can never ever be “just that one” cigarette. I feel confident in myself and I certainly do not miss smoking at all. 
I can breathe deeply, feel healthy, smell amazing! Plus have more money in my pocket to spend on more meaningful items. 
YES I’M IN THE CLUBHOUSE!!!  ;)

In reply toRe: msg 3
lindnog

Aug-31

Hi there, thank you for your message I’m so pleased that you found it helpful. 
61 days is brilliant!! 
You are doing great and reading definitely helps us with our quits. 
I also found watching and listening to a guy called Chris Skoyles “Finding Freedom” on YouTube extremely helpful. 
My advice is to take each day as it comes, remember that smoking a cigarette never changes situations or will never make things better. Plus there is never “just one cigarette “ they come in packs!!

Keep smiling, you’re doing great 

Linda xx

slowblumer

Aug-31

Hi Linda,

You did it!!!  Congratulations.

lindnog

Aug-31

Thank you so much Marge! A huge thank you for all

your support over the last year, it really means a lot xxx

Linda xxx

xvaper

Aug-31

Thank you so much. I will watch your recommendation.

Jatchat

Sep-10

Congratulations Linda, for a fight well won.

Kind regards

Anthony

lindnog

Sep-11

Thank you Anthony! How are you doing? 

Regards

Linda