About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

hi ALL   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Sep-4 by javeria22; 479 views.
javeria22

Sep-4

Hello everyone,

I was an active member here two year ago.I quit smoking for about three years.Recently due to a death in family I had a relapse.I am back to smoking a pack a day for the last month.In this month i have tried three times to give up smoking but could'nt. I have decided to come back here and quit with the support I got here when I quit earlier.I can use all the help I can get.Earlier "easy way to stop smoking " helped me a lot but this time around I couldnt find the same effect on it,i do believe I can beat this addiction I have before too. My relapse has put me in a state of turmoil as I thought I was over with it for good. But this nuisance is back in my life.I suffer from bipolar disorder and its an added struggle.I have decided to quit from tonight.I need all your best wishes and prayers ,I hope mod Marge is still around she played a vital roll in my quitting.

Eve1973

Sep-5

Hi Jav, 

Mod Marge is still here, I’m so sorry you had a relapse. I am sure you will be a non smoker soon. 

Did you stop last night? Did you throw the cigarettes out? Remember to use the straw with ice water. Distraction is key and get a ball that you can squeeze, for the stress and the hands doing something. 

Best to you, and don’t forget to pledge NOPE!

Welcome back Javeria22. My condolences. Having a family member die really leaves us vulnerable and the Just One got you. That's all it takes is a smoker offering you a cigarette in those stressful emotional times but as you found out cigarettes do not calm you down and they sure are not necessary. 

Take your time and start reading all the old threads and possibly even your own group are probably in the old threads. 

Allen Carr's book - keep it close by to refer to as his words helps to get you into the quit mindset. Yes this is a truly wicked tough drug addiction to overcome but you've done it before and You Can Do This Again. Please empower yourself and be very proud to be a quitter. Cigarettes have too many poisons in them and your brain and body will eventually suffer the consequences. This forum helped me stay on track and the pay it forward support really helps keep people engaged in their quits. So, start reading, posting and NOPING along with all your quit friends once again. I wish you the very best of luck in your quit journey. relaxed

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

javeria22

Sep-5

thanks a lot Debbie,I was unable to quit last night<thinking I will try in another few days.I am really trying here.I stayed quit for eight hours but than gave up.The more i fail the fear that it has its complete grip over me is on me. I will come here again after few days when I will try again 

javeria22

Sep-5

Hi Eve,

I did throw all the cigarettes out but be the end of the evening bought new ones. Its a nasty addiction that plays with every fiber of your being.Cant even tell how helpless I feel

You just need more time to think. Plus, when you are ready, you need to accept the inevitable -- those cravings. One way to think about getting through a crave is to see it as proof that you are strong and be proud each time you get through another hour. One crave one hour one day at a time.  Every time you get through a crave you are slowly stomping out that nicotine monster. Use your intellect to outwit the addiction. This addiction is difficult but you've done it before so just know we are all here ready to offer support when you are ready. blush

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

javeria22

Sep-6

Thanks Debbie that very motivating.Also there a few problems this time around.My son is fourteen now and he doesnt like that I smoke. My mother who helped me immensely during my last quit says she wont help this time around.These are few things that are weighing on my mind.But I will come to decide in a few days time.I want to be over this addiction this time around. I have already wasted half my life struggling with it.Its a nasty thing to continue>Thinking about all my strategies to overcome it 

slowblumer

Sep-6

Hi there Javeria,

Welcome back.  I am sorry you relapsed.  The emotional stress of losing a family member  causes many folks to relapse.  It is an unexpected event event that can throw us for a loop.   As you may know, I first quit smoking in 2010 and relapsed in 2012 when my best friend died.  It took me 3 more years to get up enough courage to do it again.  

The big point is that you did quit smoking for quite a while despite having bi polar disorder.   So, know in your heart that you can quit again .  It will take 100% commitment as it is a war but you can do this.  Still have those reasons to quit handy?  Pull them out and maybe add to it.  Take the Nope pledge and jump in when you are ready and find support anywhere you can get it.

How to Stay Smoke-Free In Times of Extraordinary Stress

"The emotional effects of large scale trauma like losing a home to fire or catastrophic weather events can put a person in a mental state where picking up a lit cigarette seems like the right thing to do". 

javeria22

Sep-6

Hi Marge, thanks for your response. You are right grief makes us adopt strange behaviours. I never for a second suspected that I would smoke again. It was the cause of so much misery and tensions in my life. I am determined to quit again. However knowing I failed this many times is making me think I need to give my quit attempts a break if while. I will be ready soon though. I hate smoking and with age it is having more adverse effects on my health. My son is also requesting me to quit now. I am just making up my mind when. I’ll let you know soon.

much love

jia

Eve1973

Sep-7

Jia,  of course the main motivation to quit is you, so when you are ready, please know we can help. But in the meantime think of ALL THE REASONS you quit before and how you felt at a week/2weeks , 1 month etc. Then remember how you felt when you reached that year mark and how proud you were! You can do this again. You already proved you could! Can’t wait to see you soon!