About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Day one down   General Chit-Chat

Started Sep-17 by Jia (Jav22); 765 views.
Jia (Jav22)

Sep-17

Hi everyone,

so I successfully managed to be done with day one. No awful craves just a slight feeling of missing something. I am really happy that I am finally doing this. Smoking is a sickening addiction. I thought I was done with it. But after three years of sobering I had a relapse again which is so alarming for me. You can never let yourself be fully at ease and think just one. That one leads to right back into trap.

Eve1973

Sep-17

Jia,

So glad you have started your quit! Agree with you about that “One”. I know I’m an addict! That “One” will lead me now a road to relapse. My addiction is definitely something I had to admit to myself and others. Once I actually admitted I was an addict The light bulb came on and I realized if I EVER just have one, I know I would be saying when can I get another! So I can’t go down that slippery slope! 

I hope today goes as easy as day1, just know you have support here! Best wishes!

Jia (Jav22)

Sep-17

Thanks a lot Eve. I was almost smoking two packs a day. I was exhausted from smoking that much. It was like I have been punished. Last night I smoked the last cigarette and thought to myself what is this providing me with? I found it had a disgusting smell and I derived no pleasure from it. It was than I decided to quit. I already hated smoking with a passion when I quit first time around. This time I could never got my mind to thinking I am smoking again so I am really feeling free. Free of something that was chaining me down.

Lubbercat

Sep-17

Jia

I am so happy to see that someone else is close to my quit date, I was honestly beginning to think that there would be no one else even close!  I also quit before for 2 yrs and 8 months and picked it back up when I was working 2 jobs and was just too tired to think.  

I smoked my last one Tuesday at 7 AM so, I am at about 2 1/2 days now.  Hoping this will be the quit that will stick because I have had one failed attempt after another.  I live with a smoker (he only smokes outside) so that makes it extra tough.

Good luck and hang in there.  Hope to be hearing from you often

Jia (Jav22)

Sep-17

Hey good to know that I have someone close to my quit date. It’s always the added support. Just stay firm that this time it’s the one that’s going to stick. Don’t cave don’t give in. You can do this. I am right here with you. Let’s do this.

Lubbercat

Sep-17

Yes, we will do this!

Loreficent

Sep-17

You are both doing it! Yay!

So wonderful to have you guys on board. Sounds like you both have a previous quit to hang onto as well, and therefore have that inner knowledge of things will get better. So you are just doing it again, something you know you can do! Stick close here as we are all rooting for you and here to cheer you on and talk you through and rant and cry or whatever it takes. Keep your eyes on the prize of freedom. I’m with you. What did it really do for the whole of us? It only satisfies the one small piece in there known well as the addict, but the remaining greater parts of there are left feeling discouraged and unhealthy and struggling every time we lit up right? So funny how that addict piece had so much power to lead. Ugh! Lubbercat I feel for you doing this with a smoker living there. That definitely adds to the challenge. I hope you can take the first few weeks and just focus on YOU. Maybe some day your partner will join you, but maybe not. That doesn’t matter. You have permission to be totally focused on you and take charge of yourself. 
Keep us posted! Write things out. Post for help. You’ve got a lot of folks in your corners here! We all know the struggle. You’re definitely not alone.

• Edited September 17, 2020 1:11 pm  by  Loreficent
Jia (Jav22)

Sep-17

Hi Lorificent,

Thanks for your words of encouragement. Last time when I quit I did it through this forum. I had many friends here who helped me through it. I used to slip and then get back on track. During my last quit which lasted for three years I had to struggle a lot as my quit wouldn’t stick or I would get anxious and depressed. This time I have smoked for two months but like thirty cigarettes in a day. However it still isn’t as difficult as last time. This time I have a bit of confidence in me that it is doable. Last time I doubted myself a lot but today I am different. I know I can overcome this as I have done before. Staying positive and thinking to overcome this addiction for good this time 

Loreficent

Sep-17

This place is invaluable for sure. I would not be quit still if I didn’t have here to come to. I know it. It’s the missing ingredient from previous attempts.

Three years is great. Don’t look back, just look ahead at the next three. Man...I can’t wait till I can do that. Yes, it takes some confidence to do, but is also like one of those positive feedback loops...the more you do, the more confidence you have. I still think the hardest part was taking that final step, actually deciding to do it. So strange how it was so scary to step out and over that hurdle. Quitting never killed anybody.

Your picture is beautiful!

Jia (Jav22)

Sep-17

Thanks. Confidence comes from believing that you have the ability to do this. Even if your quit is still young you can instil confidence in yourself that you have every ability to do this. Once you learn to say no to that nicotine monster you have all the abilities to achieve an addiction free life. All it takes is just to start somewhere and than not looking back.