About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Planned the quit date   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Sep-20 by JoelJose; 743 views.
JoelJose

Sep-20

Hi..i have been smoking since one year.i really want to quit this because i can feel the power of addiction and i dont want to depend on cigarettes anymore. i usually smoke around 10-12 cigarettes per day making it clear as the situation is getting worse day by day.Thats a lot of addiction that i have made within a course of an year.Now, i have decided to quit and i believe better days are coming for me and people around me and the whole world.i decided to quit on 22 september 2020.i know its really hard.i really wish if i could get some good advice to win this battle.

Please start reading the articles at the beginning of the September thread as the moderators gave great information there for you to read. We all find that an educated quit is a successful quit and others on this great forum will definitely offer you suggestions and moral support to help you stay engaged in your quit.

Keep distracted by keeping busy, drink lots of ice water and do lots of deep breathing exercises -- these are the 3 D's. Doing this whenever a craving hits can help you get through it. The first three days, first three weeks and the first three months are the hardest as you adjust your mindset and get into the routine of the three D's every time a crave hits. This is a very slow journey as we learn t live without cigarettes. 

So, start reading and join the NOPE pledge that's posted daily as Not One Puff Ever is our mantra to help get through this wicked tough drug addiction. 

Be proud to be a quitter and keep a positive mental attitude to outwit those craves from the nicotine monster. I wish you the very best of luck.

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

JoelJose

Sep-21

Hi Debbie, thats a great advice.i will keep doing the 3Ds.i am so happy to announce my NOPE pledge. I will keep posting my progress.

Thankyou somuch for the valuable advice.

TinyBadger

Sep-21

Congratulations on deciding to quit! You won't regret it. It's a lot of work but it's so worth it. There are some great articles here that will give you lots of pointers and ideas, but if you're struggling, just ask. You can always post an sos if you are getting desperate. Just wait for 3 replies before you smoke. By the time that happens, either you'll get support or forget about it altogether. Take a nap, color, go for walks, cook a healthy meal, do some crafts, go fishing, shop for socks, there's so much to do! Just keep busy and drink your water through a straw. You can do this, I know you can. 

JoelJose

Sep-21

Thankyou somuch TinyBadger, thats a great tip..it seems like water is helping me to manage my cravings.its not even one day, i know the cravings will get powerful but i believe the Nope pledge with right attitude is the key.Anyways its a great battle.

TinyBadger

Sep-21

They will be powerful but you are stronger than that. Believe in yourself and post here when you need us. 

JoelJose

Sep-22

Thankyou so much..its a long journey but its worth it.There is some tricks going out through my mind.i  think of cigarettes most of the time.is there a fix for what i am facing now.But i will keep my word for sure.. the NOPE pledge, i hope i will be happy later..by removing all the thoughts of smoking.

In reply toRe: msg 7
JoelJose

Sep-27

Hi all..its my 6 th day of quit.Last day, i was pretty anxious and tensed.I am so happy to tell you that my sleeping really got better but i saw a sad dream like smoking again.Luckily, i noticed that it was just a dream when i woke up. I really need some motivation and support from you friends..its really helping me.its invaluble for my quit.

Nice job Joel. You are almost through Hell Week. You I'll get those 'Smoking Dreams' throughout the entire first year at varying times. But, you'll notice that they change the longer you are quit. This shows you that your brain rewires as we sleep. The first 3 months are the hardest and when we develop The Quit Mindset. It takes time for all of us to adapt and accept the cravings and smoking thoughts without acting on those thoughts. Remember they are not commands - you are choosing to stay quit and are proud of it. Remember to be very proud to be a quitter!!!! We all can change our behaviors. Cigarettes are no longer cool anyways and they are poisoning our bodies. So drink lots of ice water, do lots of deep breathing and stay distracted by exercising or going for a quick walk or doing something to occupy your mind. This is a wicked drug addiction that changed our brains but our brain will rewire and change to the new improved smoke free you. So, keep reading everything on this forum, watch YouTube videos about quitting, the Whyquit.com site, and Allen Carr's book The Easy Way to Quit Smoking as these help you develop the quit mindset. Use whatever nicotine replacements you need (nicotine gum,spray, inhaler, patches) and post often to get help here and you can help others stay engaged in their quits too. You'll never regret getting free.blush

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

JoelJose

Sep-27

Thanks Debbie, those are great tips..so its all about rewiring the brain..i wish there will be a time when the entire thoughts of smoking fades away.