About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

My life as a nonsmoker (since 08/15/2020)   Quit Stories and Journals

Started Oct-1 by RuninMadHere; 344 views.
RuninMadHere

Oct-1

I am a nonsmoker. I am a nonsmoker. I am a nonsmoker. The app I am using to remain smoke-free encourages the use of mantras when having difficulty with cravings. After passing the 1 month marker, my cravings have been coming forward like the ticker across the NYC stock exchange: always there, sometimes grabbing my attention, sometimes not. I know that I used cigarettes as a way to procrastinate or not deal with the stress in my life. I know that I am under stress currently (recently moved, looking for a job, waiting on school to start, license to transfer, etc). I find working out or running helps me but I can't do that all the time. Just perplexed as to why thoughts of smoking are pushing hard right now. More annoying than anything. I already know that smoking is black and white..you either are a smoker or not...there is no such thing as a social smoker (for me).

My journey past this addiction is like reacquainting myself with myself. I feel like I never took the time to figure out who I was previously and now I am forced to register all the thoughts that show up in my head. Such an opportunity to reinvent myself! Do I even know what I truly like to do?

I do appreciate the benefits I have experienced from non-smoking: running/working out keeps getting easier, I am not as tired in the afternoons, I can taste food again, I have more time to accomplish things without planning for all those "breaks," my kid says I don't smell anymore, my teeth look whiter, I think I'm sleeping better at night.

I am a nonsmoker. I am a nonsmoker. I am a nonsmoker. I am a nonsmoker.

One Month Done & Over -- hard days YES but always remember you are fighting a big time drug addiction that does not let go of you till after a year or a little more. The cravings continue but lessen in frequency and intensity as the months roll by. So, keep going no matter what crap this nicotine monster throws at you. You chose to be smoke free - you take back control and don't let that chain of addiction lock you in ever again. Keep adding to this journal and proudly get through another month. I truly wish you the very best of luck in your journey.

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

Anne2020

Oct-1

Not everyone finds it hard to quit smoking.  Some find it easy to quit and after just a few days or weeks completely forget about smoking.  Like me.  I think however it should always be remembered that an addiction never goes away.  One cigarette even 10 years down the road could easily lead to a full on rekindled smoking habit.    After three days, it's not even about quitting anymore, its about not restarting.

Quitting smoking doesn't have to be hard for months and months on end.  You can make it easy by changing your state of mind and that only takes a second.

I'm glad you find it easy but you are the first person in all the years I've been on this forum that found it easy to quit.  

Everyone is different in their response to quitting and I hope you continue to stay smoke free. Yes mindset is key but some people need several attempts at quitting to finally accept the hard cravings. Also, you may be one of the lucky ones who don't have as many nicotine receptors as others. I hope your future continues to be smoke free. Congratulations on your success.

Eve1973

Oct-1

Hi Run, 

This is an addiction, and a long process......just because you are past the 30 day marker doesn’t mean magically all the cravings/ thoughts/ triggers go away! 

They say it can take up to a year before you really find the peace that is out there! I personally haven’t experienced this “ peace” but hopefully soon enough. 

I am 8 months nicotine free. And found this forum about 2 weeks in. I would suggest reading the material in the beginning of October 2020, it’s from the Mods and very helpful and let’s you know you are NOT ALONE! People here are very supportive and happy to answer questions!

i hope your journey continues.......best wishes,

Eve 1/30/2020

Anne2020

Oct-2

I am so sorry its all been so hard for you.  Hopefully you are able to find the joy of quitting and move away from the difficult hardships into the peaceful light and freedom before too long. 

Hi I think you meant this post for RininMadHere.

In the To box just enter the name of the person you want to respond to.

I've been quit over 7 years but still drop into this site to offer words of support for those struggling. 

Glad to read that you are having a easy time staying quit. You definitely have the right mindset for success. 

Msg 6205.8 deleted