About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Day 4 - struggling    Quit Support

Started Oct-6 by Jaka38; 832 views.
Jaka38

Oct-6

Hi there. I've been advised to post regularly, so that's what I'm doing. 

It's my 4th day without smoke. I feel very depressed with lack of energy but can't sleep. Fortunately I work from home but I still feel pretty guilty for not working or doing something productive. Yesterday I tried a walk and I hardly come back. My energy levels really dropped. Do you have similar experiences? How long does it last? I'm suppose to give a talk at a conference this Saturday which is very stressful for me. Now I'm wondering if it is better to  cancel that since I'm not sure how long will take for this withdrawal to fade significantly. Right now I hardly concentrate and find it really hard to develop a thought or so. 

It's also really hard for me to be more supportive toward myself, more positive, friendly... 

In reply toRe: msg 1
Eve1973

Oct-6

Gm Jaka, 

You are doing this for yourself ........ 4 days is great! I remember the early days and me personally (different for everyone) lack of energy, listlessness, was my big issues. But I would try adding some vitamins, vitamin D and some B12 may help......or contact your doctor. 

For me my energy would return for a day and then it would deplete again. This is definitely a process. Not a month, and symptoms are gone. But will tell you this......I’m so GLAD that I did this, and I quit in January, then told to stay home in March. So being home helped me heal immensely. 

If you can cancel the meeting, I would, but sometimes forcing your brain to concentrate helps you get back into focus, so think hard! 

I hope this passes quickly for you! But I’m going to say this one more time......YOU ARE SO WORTH IT! Do this for yourself and you WILL be on a better path. 

Best to you

Eve 1/30/2020

Jaka38

Oct-6

Thanks so much for your kind and supportive words. I know I owe this to myself, but every time I do quit or stop, I said to myself that next time will be more appropriate or whatever and so beginning again. Really hope this time it'll be different...

In reply toRe: msg 3
Eve1973

Oct-6

Last time did you have the support you needed? I know I tried numerous times before I found this forum, and I KNOW I didn’t have the support nor the knowledge of what this addiction does to you. 

I pledge my NOPE everyday to hold myself accountable and to this forum family. General chitchat is where you will find. 

So I hope you find that helpful and a motivator. We will be there for you in crisis. Just post and someone will reach out!

Jaka38

Oct-6

No I didn't. This time feels more real. I'm still worried because I didn't pick the quit date more carefully,  didn't do the right strategy how to deal with stress etc. But this is probably the part of my mind that wants me back on smoking.

In reply toRe: msg 5
Eve1973

Oct-6

It definitely is....l. 1st off, we put off quitting in our minds, we talk ourselves out of it. Honestly is there ever a good time to quit? That is the “junkie “ in us talking. 

I am 8 months now......and am JUST starting to feel like a “non smoker.” I know everyone is different in their quit, so don’t ever get disappointed or discouraged because you are not experiencing the same thing or a certain side effect of quitting is lasting longer. Remember we all smoked at different times, length of time and different brands. But we have one thing in common, and that is we are addicts to nicotine. So I’m going to tell you it will be hard, but when that rainbow comes to your soul......you will be extremely proud of yourself!!! 

In reply toRe: msg 1
TinyBadger

Oct-6

You're doing a great job! Like Eve said, this is nothing to sneeze about! My energy level dropped, too. I had to force myself to go on walks. They do help, though. Exercise releases endorphins and those are really good for your mood. I complained in my mind the entire time but now I do it less because I am starting feel better. I'm on day 118 and I think I'm past the sluggishness. I'm not sure exactly when it stopped but I credit my therapist in her suggestions about leisure activities and outdoor exercise. Finding pleasure in little things really helps in my opinion. It's kind of up to you about the conference. If you are feeling scattered and having a hard time focusing then maybe you should cancel. Know that you have made a very important decision for your health. You should be very proud of yourself! You are definitely coming out on top!

Jaka38

Oct-7

Thanks so much, that's really kind of you. It'll pass. I know. Yesterday evening I kind of felt really great for quitting though. 

Jaka38

Oct-7

Thanks for your loving words. Really kind of you. Especially the part where you mentioned everyone is different in addiction. I tend to compare to others too much, taking someone's stuff and making my own. So it really made me think blush

Eve1973

Oct-7

I’m SO GLAD that i was able to help you. Yes everyone is definitely different in DNA, makeup, where we grew up, so it makes sense that someone’s quit is different than others, we may be similar, but not exactly the same. 

So day 5, awesome remember that you are WORTH IT, and you can do this!