About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Day 10 - restlessness    Quit Support

Started Oct-12 by Jaka38; 354 views.
Jaka38

Oct-12

Hi there. It's my tenth day without cigarettes. I'm doing pretty well so far. Weekend was really great, tension is wearing off. Cravings are not so intense anymore, they are still pretty often thought. Restlessness is present most of the time, but not in a variation of severe anxiety. I tend to think a lot how would it be to just have one. I correct that right away, reminding myself that it is only junkie thinking. Or thanking my other part of mint, the one responsible for quitting, the one taking care of my wellbeing. It's still very hard to work, still procrastinating. I need to go for a walk to deal with restlessness. I saw people smoking outside. When I noticed any kind of wish or jealousy, I'm correcting self talk once again: I'm the lucky one, cigarettes are not award or tell my mind something similar. This is hard but I need to do this over and over again. I cannot afford to fall in the same trap once more. I'm doing OK, I guess. One step at a time, one more day without cigarettes. Nicotine withdrawal symptoms are getting weaker and weaker. Next chalange, the trickiest one, is mind. I'll keep posting...

In reply toRe: msg 1
Eve1973

Oct-12

The junkie thinking is the worst, sometimes still catch myself thinking about if I compete a task, I can have a smoke. Weird that it pops up even now. 

You are doing so well....... you are already winning because you a recognizing the tricks and that the mindset needs to be changed! Keep doing what you are, and it will become easier to dismiss!

Jaka38

Oct-12

Thanks. Yes, I'll do all the tricks and than repeat and than again and again... I guess that's the formula joy

In reply toRe: msg 3
Loreficent

Oct-12

Hi Jaka,

You are doing so well. It does take a lot of work to turn the thinking around in our heads! It can be exhausting for the first couple of weeks. Your brain is very malleable though and can be trained! Have you read some of the articles here in the Library tab? Positive self talk is an exercise that the more you do the more natural it becomes, just like not smoking. I’m very happy to hear the anxiety is less. I forget, are you using NRT? 
Yes, when you see folks smoking ask yourself why they are punishing their body like this? We know the answer is addiction. I’m not sure how there are those that can smoke only occasionally. I think they are definitely the exception and not the rule. For years I told myself I would be or could be one of them, but, it is not something I can be. Now, I don’t want to be. I’ve learned for me it is such a trap and simply cannot work. The addict in my head does not allow this. Even only occasional smoking is still detrimental to our bodies too. So...just let it go. Walk away. Leave it behind and have a visual of yourself choosing some sunny and bright and walking towards that. Soon your mind will be stronger and go to this more automatically. Every time you walk away you get a bit stronger. Also, yes! Keep posting. 

In reply toRe: msg 1
Nope62

Oct-12

Congrats on day ten of your quit!

You are doing really well!

Every night that you go to sleep not having smoked that day, You Win!

Take Care!

Jaka38

Oct-13

Thanks both. It's still so hard in a morning. Don't know what to do without coffee and all the other rituals. I'm really restless but not so much agitated. Keep drinking water, eating sweets from time to time. Much more than usual. I'm trying to start working right now, to overcome huge aversion towards that. I just can't walk and read all day long. Sometimes I think I'm losing my mind. 

I did read articles under first section, introduction. But where is library tab? I'm usuing forum on my android phone.

No, not using NRT. Don't know why actually. Years ago I tried with nicotine patches. I wasn't ready at that time, didn't study anything, so than I was smoking with patches on in no time. All the quits that followed were without NRTs. Now that I started that way, I guess it's better to continue in the same manner. 

Jaka38

Oct-13

Aww I find library. I'll do some more reading after very long walk since I just cant to put myself to do some work.