About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First Time Trying    Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Oct-17 by nosmoketig; 3619 views.
nosmoketig

Oct-17

Yesterday, I hope I smoked for the last time.

I picked up my first cigarette at the age of 14. I smoked a few a day until I went off to college, where I started smoking a pack a day. At 19, I starting using an e-cig and quit cigs entirely (with the occasional cig at a party). But, I used the e-cig more than I ever smoked cigs. I smoked 2 pods a day. I feel awful for my age. I am young and I want a life without nicotine!! It has now been 30 hours since I last smoked. I feel like my every thought is related to smoking, so I am posting. I am thankful to have found this resource, but I am so scared for the future. I have read every article, and I am trying my hardest to keep distracted. I do push-ups when I have a craving, but it feels like the craving comes back almost immediately. Everything is so irritating to me and all I want to do is smoke. 

But, I took the NOPE pledge this morning. I cannot smoke and will not smoke. I am going to need help on this journey. Someone please tell me this gets easier and that you understand how I feel. 

Loreficent

Oct-17

I understand exactly how you feel and it is normal. Yes, it will get better but only if you don’t cave! So at 30 hours you are almost half through the absolute hardest part of first 3 days! Stay close and post a lot. A lot a lot. It is the best to be with folks that get it. Push ups are awesome! I did a lot of those at first too. Still do. It is immediate distraction. Soon you will be doing so many!joy

nosmoketig

Oct-17

My shoulders already hurt lol I have a lot of questions and my mind is racing right now.. so I am going to write and ask some questions. I hope this is okay. 

I love music. All kinds of music. Do you have any "fight songs" that you listen to that make you feel stronger? I've been listening to We Are The Champions by Queen and it makes me feel like I can do this. I am a champion!! 

Someone told me that drinking Mt. Dew stimulates the taste buds and stimulates the brain to getting that oral fix. Anyone ever tried this? 

I have been chewing a lot of gum and straws. I feel like I NEED something in my mouth at all times. 

My brain has never felt this out of it. I feel all over the place. From what I am reading it will pass. I am looking forward to that but, but I am taking it one second at a time. 

Thanks for letting me post this sporadic message. I hope my thoughts will be more fluid in the coming days. Stay strong to all the others in this battle with me!! 

Loreficent

Oct-17

Oh boy!!! Well...give me a minute on the fight songs. You may have opened a can of worms and get more than you desired (or deserve!) with that question, haha!

First... stop with the Mountain Dew!!! It’s crap. Period. About as healthy as that ecig! No wonder your poor sweet brain is wired and angsty! Caffeine and simple sugar fueled. Oh boy! So I just picked up my daughter and have to drive. Will be home in a while and check back. I’m cc’ing some angels here to chime in. What time zone are you? Though that may not matter with the Mtn Dew on board!joy

nosmoketig

Oct-17

I am in EDT, it's 8:50 on the East Coast. Thanks for the advice on the Mt. Dew. I will give it up. Thanks for the replies. I feel like having this community will be really good for me. I hope that one day I will be so far down this journey that I will be able to help others too. Drive safe, I am okay for right now! I have my dog as my biggest supporter, and he's feeling awfully cuddly right now so I will take advantage of that hahaha 

TinyBadger

Oct-17

Hi there! I'm sorry your shoulders hurt but you simply must avoid smoking! If you Google fight songs you'll find quite a few. Im not sure if you're a pop or rock song lover, but I'm sure you can find something. I'll try and think of something for you. Mtn dew is not the way to go. I was a hearty coke drinker but only have one of the tiny cans per day now. I feel less jittery and anxious without it and you might find you'll be in a better position to quit without it. I have the mouth fixation thing too. I was using nrt lozenges but have gotten off those so I rotate between Lifesavers and Werther's originals. I have a metal reusable straw that I keep handy. It's about the size of a cigarette. I use it to drink icewater, too. The sucking action really helps. I felt foggy and pretty sensitive in the beginning. I believe that is normal. Your concentration will return with time. Stay strong! You can do this! I recommend reading lots of articles here and posting often. The advice I have given here that some people have found helpful is this: if you are doing something and want to smoke, immediately get up and do something else. I mean, right away. Get up from the couch or the computer or garden. Just go do something else. Organize a cupboard, go for a walk. Do a puzzle, watch funny youtube videos , bake some cookies, post here, text a friend, knit, paint a birdhouse. The possibilities are endless! We have a hobby lobby here and I always shop the sales for kids stuff. You know, paint a gnome. The kits where everything is included and the whole thing takes about 30 minutes. It's a quick distraction and it gets me focused on other things. I have all kinds of crap on top of my piano: decoupaged owl, painted gnome, colored mandalas, you get the gist. It doesn't even matter if it looks good. I'll try to get some songs rustled up for you. You're doing a great job and I'm so glad you made this important decision. This is the beginning of your new life! There will be struggles but it is so worth it!

Eve1973

Oct-17

I’m on East coast too. What Tiny and Lore have said are spot on! Straws are good for the sucking part......just distract yourself with ANYTHING and you will prevail. 

Fight songs are good......but that definitely not my forte. We are the champions is just stuck there because you mentioned. Did you see the movie based on Freddie Mercury? Loved it. Just watched the one on Elton John not too long ago. 

You will do fantastic. How old are you now? What state are you in? Sounds like you may be young so therefore you may be doing this at a great time! 

Best to you Eve

Loreficent

Oct-18

Ok, so just had a reply to your “fight song” question and I accidentally deleted it somehow. Argh. What stinks is sometimes that happens and it reposts later. So if this repeats, whatever. Not sure I’m the best one for this as I’m all over the place with music! I am a die hard rocker for sure. And I love a lot of metal. First thing that comes to mind is Iron Maiden’s “Run To The Hills”. I love Metallica and can imagine just about anything of theirs being a fight song. Black Sabbath is an all time favorite and I love “A National Acrobat”. Deep Purple “Smoke On The Water”, haha, but not about cigarettes. Stones, every single song. Same with The Who. A very fun song with some great guitar riffs is Billy Jo Spears “Get Behind Me Satan And Push”, now that’s just fun! I love U2 and “Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” seems to be a theme in my life and keeps me motivated to keep climbing for sure. Led Zeppelin, anything, but upbeat and distracting and will definitely get your feet moving is their “Boogie With Stu”. I love Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and R.E.M. all of them. And don’t get me started on my major crush I have on Bono from U2! He was made for me but we haven’t met yet. Hard driving Bass is always my thing. I love that song by Head East called “Never Been Any Reason”. “Whiskey In The Jar” but the Thin Lizzy version is hands down the best. I love, love, love  The Pogues! “Funeral For A Friend/ Love Lies Bleeding” by Elton John will get me going for sure. So will “The Bitch Is Back”. Now, there’s a fight song. 
So...I also love me some Cat Stevens and Noah And The Whale and Tom Petty’s “Wildflowers “...oh! “Running Down A Dream”. There you go. One of my most favorite songs ever is “#9 Dream” by John Lennon. That and “Pure And Easy” by The Who but the version off Odds and Sods is the best. I like Johnny Cash too. And I love Jazz! Ella, B.B., John Coltrane, Dave Brubeck. All of it! But I love Mozart and Pachelbel too. I love a piece called “Well Tempered Clavier” by Bach. 
So this will either get you started or totally turn you off, Lol! Like I said I’m all over the place with music. I don’t like what I call “schmaltz” and can’t stand vapid pop and love songs. It has to feel passionate for me. Deeply. Bout the only “sweet” song I love is “Puff The Magic Dragon” by Peter Paul and Mary and it makes me cry. 
You could also keep it simple and go with Rocky’s song “Eye Of The Tiger” but that borders on vapid for my taste. 
I live and love and breathe and think and grow in music. Amazingly, nothing musical makes me want to smoke, thank goodness.

• Edited October 18, 2020 12:26 am  by  Loreficent
TinyBadger

Oct-18

Ok I'm never sharing a car with you on a road trip. 

Loreficent

Oct-18

Oh, why not??? You love Led Zeppelin! Is it the Jazz? The classical? Ok...well, I can drive with my AirPods in! And my eyeshades on. joy