About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

New here. Need support   Quit Support

Started Oct-19 by Kay0619; 724 views.
Kay0619

Oct-19

7 years ago, I worked a very toxic job. The job itself is okay, but the people around me were bad influences. I started drinking more and one of them introduced me to vaping (I had never smoked before) and it went downhill from there. I thought it would be just something fun to do, but it has taken over my life.

The convenience of vaping made me do it more. I do it all day, no matter why I’m doing. I’m married with two kids who are in 4 sports, all while working a full time job. The pandemic has not helped, and though I’ve stopped drinking I want to stop vaping. I don’t have any more juice, and am hoping today will be the day I stop.

Im already having a little anxiety but I am typing this because I know I will be healthier and have more energy for my kids. What are some tips for getting past the cravings? I’m really scared and nervous.

Loreficent

Oct-19

Hi Kay

Good decision and it is normal to be nervous! If you go to the top and beginning of October 2020 New Ex Smokers thread, at the beginning there is information how the Forum works. I would suggest also going near the bottom on the left and starting in the “Library” thread there are dozens of articles there to start that will explain addiction and give a ton tips too. You may have to go to the very top left first, right under where it says “Discussions” and click “all” in the drop down box first to be able to see the Library title near the bottom. Hope that makes sense!

I will say from what I’ve read here that vaping is as insidious as smoking and definitely every bit as addictive. You will find good support here! Start with some reading and educate yourself on this horrible drug that is so powerful and controlling. The more knowledge you have, as in with most things, the more power you have. You’re not alone! Stay close and you can do this!

Msg 6241.3 deleted
Loreficent

Oct-19

I’m sorry Kay, I don’t remember how to share a link from the Library but there is a article there of 100 things to do instead of smoke. I’ve cc’d one of the Mods here for help. 

CC to slowblumer
slowblumer

Oct-19

Loreficent

Oct-19

Thank you Marge!!

Hope you are well! Are you able to tell me how to share a post or link? I know it has to do with that funny thing by the heart but don’t know how to use it.

nosmoketig

Oct-19

Hey Kay! I just made it through my first three days after quitting vaping. Like you, I did it all day, all the time, even when I didn't want to. I said that I wanted to quit for about a year now, but I always had another excuse. My grandmother passed away on my first quit date, I was afraid I would be moody at work if I gave it up in the days before I had to work, a big test was coming up so I would wait till after I was done with it, etc. There was always another excuse. 

Last Friday, I went and threw my Juul, pods, and chargers over a fence. I don't know how I got up the strength to do it, I just said now is my moment. Today is the day. Not gonna lie, it has not been smooth sailing since I did it, but I already feel better just three days later. It is scary, in fact it was the scariest thing I have ever done, but I did it. And I am proud of myself. You should be too. Thinking about quitting and feeling that anxiety is a major first step on this journey. 

So just do it. Throw your e-cig and equipment away. I have found there is a huge community here for support and your online peeps can really help. When a craving comes on I do one or more of a few things:

1. Change my physical location. Doing something else and being somewhere else helps ease my mind. 

2. Push-ups. Sometimes I do 5 sometimes I do 25. The dopamine release feeds the craving your brain has for nicotine. 

3. Drink ice water through a straw. Idk why, but it helps. Sorta feels like the menthol hitting your mouth I guess. 

4. Pop a gum or mint or even chew a straw. Keeping something in my mouth has been key. 

5. Post something here. Anything at all. 

These things have worked for me so far, Kay. I am learning too. The more I find the more I will tell you. We can and will do this together. Good luck and post whenever you need to. The people here are really amazing. 

Kay0619

Oct-19

You’re absolutely correct, this forum has been amazing and its only been a day on here.

i find that I fidget a lot, I have also been chewing gum all day. I think tonight when I wind down it will be hard, but I think I’ll be okay. Hopefully lol

Day 1 is almost done, and I feel kind of accomplished which is more than I thought I’d feel. Hopefully day 2 isn’t terrible!

Eve1973

Oct-19

Hi Kay, when you are winding down for the day may be the toughest for you. I know I was jumping up n down just to go do something for distracting myself from the craves. 

So you found this on day 1 so READ AL LOT! It honestly is so helpful on learning about this addiction! 

I still chew gum...... but sometimes a straw helps too!

Best to you!

Kay0619

Oct-19

It’s 7:25pm and I just got home from my daughters gymnastics class. I sat in a chair inside while my legs were shaking and kept getting up and sitting back down.

Its feeling really tough right now. My plan is to catch up on laundry till it’s time for bed. And hopefully Day 2 can be here already.