About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Day 2. This is tough    Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Oct-20 by Kay0619; 623 views.
Kay0619

Oct-20

It’s Day 2, and I think yesterday was easier. Really stressed with work today and have already downed 18oz of water. I find myself wanting to go run and get a vape and really trying to fight it.

Writing here to try to distract myself more before I have to run in a meeting. I think I’m gonna pop two pieces of gum in my mouth! My son has a baseball game later and thinking about sitting the entire two hours makes me feel nervous but I think I can do it. I may walk around the field if I really start getting antsy. Please tell me it gets easier

Eve1973

Oct-20

Hey Kay,

Hang tough you can do this! In the beginning I was jittery too. I found playing with a ball helped. I stole my lil dogs tennis ball and played with that because it was smaller and it fit in my hand. Lol 

I bought a stress ball for the car that actually read “inhale exhale “ These these kept my jitters down and my stress. 

you can do this! It’s tough but SO SO REWARDING 

Jpatrick1996

Oct-20

OK. It gets easier.

After a lot of  hard work and determination. See the addiction for what it is......a horribly expensive addiction that will slowly (or surprisingly quickly) kill you.

Stay strong.

Patrick

Quit - July 16th, 2019

Anne2020

Oct-20

Definitely gets better but only if you do not smoke.  Try to change the way you think about it.  You are going through withdrawal - the healing process - rejoice that you have the chance to clean your body and live.  Many don't make it that far.   

TinyBadger

Oct-20

You're doing great! Live in the moment. Just try to be smoke free for right now. It does get easier. You'll still struggle from time to time, but with practice your quit muscles will be so strong! Don't give in now, you're really doing it and I know you can go even further than this moment. You are stronger than this!

Jaka38

Oct-21

For me day 2 was the worst as well. At day 1 your mind didn't quite get it really, i guess it's not thinking that's for real joy

How long have you been smoking? Did you tried quitting before or is it your first time?

As Anne already mentioned, it'll get better if you don't smoke. Just take one day at a time. 

In reply toRe: msg 6
Kay0619

Oct-21

It’s been 7 years, and I’ve actually tried to quit twice this year and didn’t make it past day 1! Today is currently day 3, so this is my longest streak. I don’t feel great this morning but will have to suck it up and go to work. Yesterday I was super jittery but it helped to chew gum and eat lollipops. Eek! I just don’t want to think about it all day, as I’ve done the past two days. I keep telling myself this is for myself, my husband, and my kids. It’s so hard though.

JoelJose

Oct-22

Hi kay, congratulations.. You have passed the first and the hardest day of quitting. Keep fighting. Its my 31st day of quitting and its getting easier as we fight the cravings, our brain automatically gets readjusted and teaches us to live without nicotine. Try to read Alan Carrs easy way to quit smoking. It definitely helps. Distract yourself when the craving hits. You can do it.A knowledgeful quit is the best quit. Increasing your knowledge by reading articles here definitely helps. There is an illustrative book of Alan Carr that really helped me. The mental associations you have with smoking are just illusions. Smoking does not relieve stress, it causes the stress in first place.There are lot of brainwashing side, that as a smoker i was not aware of and when i gained knowledge, its way much easier.

You can do it Kay. Keep fighting. It gets easier over time.

Loreficent

Oct-22

Yay!! Go Kay!! So good. Stay in the moment. Don’t think too far ahead. Just stay the course as you can already see how much better than before, right? 
I agree with Joel too! He is doing so well and in the beginning was just like you, which is how we ALL were! Just remember that all of these crazy mind games and feelings and anxiety and fear and thoughts and more obsessive thoughts are normal, and they will get a wee bit less each day. I promise. The ONLY thing you have to do? Not vape or smoke. 
Joel, so good to see you help others too! 

CC to JoelJose
  • Edited October 22, 2020 3:00 pm  by  Loreficent
JoelJose

Oct-22

Thankyou  Lorie..i am not as resourceful or experienced as you. Its just being one month.As Kay just asked to tell him it gets easier. And yes! Its get easier. After 30 days, it feels so wonderful. As if i am out of the chains of the nicotine monster.so good!And yes, i stay alert i dont want to be in chains again.The addict inside me plays little tricks, but i am making him starve to death.