About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Day 3. I feel like I’m close to caving in   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Oct-21 by Kay0619; 390 views.
Kay0619

Oct-21

Guys. I’m struggling. Work has been so stressful this morning and it’s not even noon yet.

My hands are shaking and I’m super jittery this morning. I’m trying to just take deep breaths and drink water but it’s so hard. Really trying to push through.

TinyBadger

Oct-21

You can do this! Don't smoke now, you've come too far! It's very normal to be jittery. Can you go for a walk? Chew some gum? Make a list of the reasons you're quitting? Drink through a straw? Do anything but smoke! You've got this! What can I do to help?

Kay0619

Oct-21

I feel like I want to cry honestly. I bought a container of gum on Monday and I’ve almost gone through it all. I probably won’t be able to go on a walk till lunch which is in about 2 hours. Drinking a lot of water has helped me walk to the bathroom to go pee a lot. Ugh I feel like I can do this and I just want this week to be over with.

TinyBadger

Oct-21

I cried a lot in the beginning, so know that it's normal to feel that way, too. Just think about this minute. Don't worry about the week. Just say, I'm going to be smoke free for the next 5 minutes. Long term stuff really gets people overwhelmed. If you need to buy a truckload of gum, you do it, because your quit is very important! Do you have a tasty snack? I bought a bunch of nuts from nuts.com and flavored nuts from the grocery store. I love almonds. Gotta watch the salt, though. Anyhoo, make sure to take your walk and keep going to the bathroom. Play with a pen or say the alphabet backwards or count down from a hundred by 3s. You will do this! I do believe in you. 

Kay0619

Oct-21

So I powered through, and just finished lunch. I’m feeling okay, trying not to think about how the rest of the day will go. Eek!

TinyBadger

Oct-21

That is great! It's always nice to get a little food in your tummy and have a break. Did you get a walk in? I find walks to be very helpful, as does loreficent. She takes a lot of evening strolls. I have a hard time taking walks at work because it feels like the smokers are everywhere! I'm working on that. But I do walk the dogs at night and find it very helpful. Maybe take up journaling? How about a stone or a marble that you can keep in your pocket or purse to play with? Loreficent has some great visualization exercises about trees and the ocean if you ever need to be talked off the ledge. Very soothing, IMHO. You are strong and powerful enough to choose not to smoke. You are choosing health, wealth (a little bit) and so much more! Keep kicking this things behind!

CC to Loreficent
Loreficent

Oct-21

Strong work Kay! 
Thanks Tiny for the compliments. Kay, you are making good choices. The beginning is so hard, yes, but you owe this to yourself. I like the phrase “suck it up”. Yup. This is what we do. Keep reading here and posting. You can definitely do this. So what if you cry? That’s ok! Honestly, I think the best thing you can do is read a ton on here. The more normal, you realize all this is, the stronger you will be. It.Will.Get.Better. 

CC to TinyBadger
Kay0619

Oct-21

Thank you both! I really struggled for a good 15 minutes with thoughts about running to the store to get a vape. I had my keys in hand. I was looking for gum in my purse, when I found a lollipop. Something so small, but this yummy lollipop just saved me. I feel calmer now, and I didn’t give in. I think I can do this. I hope I can keep going.

CC to TinyBadger
TinyBadger

Oct-21

You absolutely can! Now just keep those lollipops handy. Stuff your purse with them. I have a big jar of lollipops and jolly ranchers, Werther's and Lifesavers on my desk and on my kitchen counter. Whenever I get desperate, there it is. I'm so proud of you for making it through your crave. 

Jaka38

Oct-22

Just keep up the good work you've done so far. You made it through the worst part of first week. You should be proud to yourself. Lore was quoting Churchill in another post: If you're walking through hell, keep walking! And keep posting.