About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Day 21 - WEEK 3    Quit Support

Started Oct-23 by Jaka38; 11629 views.
Loreficent

Oct-25

Yes...we are like rats in a maze right now, looking for the button to press that gives us the cheese! joy Then we get a little of the cheese and it is the yucky stinky kind, so we run around the maze some more! joyjoycry

But! Soon! We will find the button and press and it will be a smorgasbord! blush

I will write more properly later. Right now I am off to run in a different maze and press buttons so corporations get a lot of cheese! cry

Jaka38

Oct-25

Ha ha ha joy Love this cheese and maze comparison... I think I'll just go to supermarket and buy some camembert, blue or brie. See, now I have craving for cheese joy

Good day at workwink

Eve1973

Oct-25

Jaka,

I know you expect that you are now 3 weeks ......and you be over your anger, your thoughts of smoking, the urge to reach for it......etc. How long did you smoke? 

I smoked over 30 years....that’s 30 years of doing something, planning, taking time to drive to go get etc..... I go to work the same way almost every day for 15 years.....I couldn’t tell you how many times I have turned left toward work over the years because was distracted by my thoughts on weekends when not working. So my point? Habits are HARD to break. Don’t ever put yourself DOWN! You are DOING THIS! Keep it up! 

We need to rewire our brain, and this is NOT something that can be done overnight nor a month. So relax......keep going and please please give yourself a break. You will definitely be happier and not so tense if you just ride that wave and remember when you get to “shore” you have succeeded in doing it for yourself, family, and health! 

• Edited October 25, 2020 10:04 am  by  Eve1973
Jaka38

Oct-25

It's been almost 20 years for me. And I know all that intellectually but in every day situations I get totally impatient. I was kind of hoping it'll be over in 3 weeks obviously joy I mean, I know it sounds naive now that I write it down but there was this subconscious expectation behind it for sure. 

It's not that its grip is same as at the beginning, not at all. I feel much better now than in the morning. It's afternoon at my place. I just need to put some of the burden out and write it. It sure helps. 

I like when you said: give yourself a break. It sounds so easy when you said it. It's not actually, at least for me. It's much better though if I compare my situation few years ago. There's been some progress made it that direction. But still, this is huge and yes, to change 20years old habits, well yes, not gonna happen over night wink

Jaka38

Oct-25

Forget to ask you: how long are you smoke free now?

Eve1973

Oct-25

I know I am impatient as you are, but once I learned that this is NOT AN OVERNIGHT cure......just because you stopped, I felt much better knowing that I wasn’t nuts for still having thoughts, dreams and craves. That’s where I failed previously.

So when I say give yourself a break, it means yes you can be frustrated, but know that SO MANY OTHERS have felt the same way and that they too have gotten through, so you can too! 

I quit 1/30/2020 so just shy of 9months......

Jaka38

Oct-25

I see what you mean. I think I'll get there. Perhaps slowly but still. I'm definitely impatient but I also have strongest feeling ever about quitting for good. So if I understand what you're saying is to accept whatever is present right now. Like mindfulness?

Eve1973

Oct-25

Yes, because if you are anything like me, omg I had my ups and downs. Still do. So I told myself to accept what’s going on with the quit and give myself a year to heal or more....but I said to myself listen you poisoned your body for 30 years, and spent numerous hours/days on getting cigs, planning my next cigarette, and being anti social because needed my “fix.”

So I think I can give myself a break and take the year I need to heal. Hey what else is there to do anyway, Covid pretty much put a dampener on everyone’s social life. So I can actually focus more on my quit! 

Loreficent

Oct-26

Hi Jaka,

I know you don’t have too much time to read. I had found this website earlier on in my quit and posted in another thread several months ago now. Some is not great, but some is really good. There is a spot where you can make donations but don’t worry about that. At the top where it says “Course” in the blue bar is where there are different sections. I think I remember #6 being good. If and when you have any time maybe look. Some of it reminds me of Carr, but with some more mindfulness stuff too. Let me know if you look and what you think! blush

Loreficent

Oct-26

Maybe this takes you right to the index I think... yes...it does. 

http://www.quitsmokingonline.com/course-intro/

• Edited October 26, 2020 3:29 am  by  Loreficent