About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Scary Mental Fog Dizziness   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Oct-25 by Joseph1688; 452 views.
Joseph1688

Oct-25

Just found this website. I am new to this type of thing and hope I am posting in the right place..

I am 45 days smoke-free today. I smoked for 40+years and finally bottomed out with it. Mostly due to health concerns I was starting to experience on a regular basis like shortness of breath and sore throat (predominantly on the left side of the throat.) I have not had many problems with cravings to smoke, oddly almost nonexistent, but I am having a scary time with feeling "high." Like an out of body mental high feeling with some dizziness. Also have crackling blocked/congested ears.

I am going to make an appointment to get a medical check-up which seems like the obvious thing to do. That is a little challenging right now with the Covid situation but I am sure I will be able to get in soon. In the meantime I am wondering if anyone has any information/experience with this? It is scary and I am so concerned that I may have cancer or something else horrible is going on. My left side of my throat has some restricted uncomfortable feeling in it and I feel so "out of body" like I am high on drugs or something. I was able to find articles about what people call "mental fog" associated with quitting smoking but not sure if they are talking about what I am feeling?! The strange thing is, it did not start right away after quitting. It seems I went about 30 days before this awful mental feeling started. So freaked out about it and hoping to get some advice from others.

Hope someone has some information for me. Thank you for having this forum.

Jaka38

Oct-25

Hi Joseph. I did experience something similar but only on my first day of quiting, like being high. The rest of first week was hell and nothing compared to what you described. I had mental fog though. It's like really weak concentration, unable to follow conversation, to focus on simple things, sense of being dull even stupid. So it's quite different and it was predominantly in first week after quiting. 

I had some quits before this one. I do remember sometimes went by almost without heavy withdrawal symptoms but still find it almost unbelievable that you experience non of it. 

In reply toRe: msg 2
Joseph1688

Oct-25

Thank you for your message. I have definitely experienced a lot of withdrawal symptoms, some very intense, but the actual craving to smoke a cigarette has been the least. I found this to be odd too, but it is what my experience has been. I have had a couple of strong visual moments of wanting to have one like when I have my morning coffee etc. but it quickly passes. I think maybe it is because of the powerful and sometimes scary symptoms I am experiencing I am just grateful to not be smoking now. I don't know. But this most current "out of body-high feeling" is the WORST! And it is scary. I hope I find more answers and relief from it soon. I will also make an appointment to see a doctor this week to get checked out. Thanks again and congratulations on quitting smoking.

Eve1973

Oct-25

Hi Joseph, 

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this......yes I have experienced the mental fog......but not what you are describing, but honestly everyone is different and 40 years of doing that to your body is definitely hard on it. 

Consult your doctor, maybe just ask for a telephone call 1st, I have done that several times with my doctor.....that way you don’t actually have to go into the office. 

I hope you will get some answers soon! 
Best to you......also Congratulations on 45 days awesome!

Jaka38

Oct-25

Aww I see what you mean now. Didn't understand you well in the first place. If I think about it it foes sounds familiar, actual craving fir cigarette was rere fir me as well. There was lot of other intense feelings. Thanks and congratulate to you as well 

Anne2020

Oct-26

Hi Joseph, just wondering if you are using any NRT's to quit.  If so, could this be the source of your 'high' feeling.   I hope you made that Dr appt.  It may be an inner ear infection, perhaps a lung issue or even a heart issue.  No matter what it is, quitting smoking can only help your body heal and only a doctor can give you advice regarding your symptoms.

Cheers

Joseph1688

Oct-26

Thank you Anne. No, I am not using anything, quit cold turkey. I think this may be part of it. I was a heavy smoker for over 40 years and then quit cold turkey so I am sure my body and body chemistry must be going through a lot. Yes, I will definitely get in to have a check up this week. I am so grateful to finally be free of cigarettes and now hoping to heal and have a healthy life from here on. Thanks for your message, I appreciate it.

Anne2020

Oct-26

Cool, I quite cold turkey as well.  10 months on November 1, 2020.  Way to go, I am rooting for you all the way!!  Cheers