About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Can't Taste Sweet As Well   General Chit-Chat

Started Oct-29 by StruggleHard; 274 views.
StruggleHard

Oct-29

Hi All - so I'm 30 days into my quit and in the last few days, I've noticed my taste of sweet isn't as strong.  I had some Pepsi, and it barely tasted sweet.  I don't drink it that often so it should have tasted sweet, really sweet.

I know everyone says your taste and same become stronger after you quit.  It's hard to tell if my taste was off as a smoker, b/c it's me..Lol.  However, my sense of smell has always been excellent (compared to my husband, etc.).

I'm curious if anyone has experienced the same thing with sweet or taste in general, several weeks into a quit.  Of course, with Covid out there, I'm a little concerned that the change in taste might be something else.

Thanks!

livtoswim

Nov-4

Hello- I think smoking dulls our senses overall.  I have quit a few times and taste comes back strongly. I didn't realize how much smoking effects every function in our body full stop.   

Your not alone with your struggle.  One day at a time. 

Best

Deanne 

Anne2020

Nov-5

I definitely noticed a change in tastes.  Sweets were so much sweeter and coffee was stronger than ever.  Smells definitely picked up as well.   Aroma's I had never noticed before became quite strong; like my scented candles.

I also noticed that my anxiety reduced for the most part and I my skin was so much softer.  

Allot of changes have occurred since I quite.  Some changes were immediate while others were gradual over time.  All of these things I took as signs of healing.  The counter benefit against cravings.  Each time I had a craving, I would feel how soft my skin was or light up a new candle and just enjoy the aroma. 

It really helps to notice these positive changes and focus on them for incentive to carry on.

Cheers!     

StruggleHard

Nov-5

Thanks, Anne. Ironically, Pepsi tastes LESS sweet to me! I haven't really noticed stronger sense of smell, but I think mine has always been pretty good anyway. 

Unfortunately my anxiety went through the roof, but getting a little better, so hoping that's a trend to a lot better. 

StruggleHard

Nov-5

Thanks. Helps to know others really understand it.