About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

November 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started Oct-31 by Terry (abquitsmking); 20892 views.
overdoze

Dec-24

Great job being 49 days quit. Im trying to complete my 1 day today i make it 6-7 days and then pick it up again. Im just tired of smoking, cleaned out my apartment today, hopefully getting ready for a great new yeAR FASt approaching. Your right that first few weeks are the toughest.. Have a nice holiday..

Overdoz quit 12-24-2020

gkim

Dec-24

That’s good you’re not giving up on trying to quit. Not having any cigarettes around the house is important. To get it you have to go through a lot yo get them so hopefully during that time you’ll come to your senses. Be strong. You can beat this! Happy holidays 

Itspainful

Dec-26

Your on off smoking is so frequent it got me all mix up already lol. but here are some info maybe that can help you.

1. it takes 3 days totally no smoking for the system to repel all nicotine in the body

2. chances of relapse... sorry if you smoke for a long time, that damn craving will always be there. the difference is the longer u dont smoke, the weaker the craving will become. There are people who quit for few years that suddenly get an urge to smoke - but they all manage to get it under control

3. There are only 2 permanent damage you can do to your lungs but I didn't really bother cause quit is so damn hard. So last thing I wanna worry is that one of the permanent damage is I may not have as many sac as normal human that can absorb same amount of oxygen. So what? take deeper breath then! lol

4. It takes around 5 to 7 days for your body to quit smoking after that the next few months you are just fighting with your damn brain. some stupid website said it takes only 1 month for your brain receptor to get back to normal level. The fact is it takes 3 months!!! (yes done hell lots of google) Only when receptor is back to normal, mental craving is very under control - but it's a lie if someone say disappear. Today is my day 118 of quit smoking, the craving is under control but it's still there!!  But this is also gotta do with luck. Some people just have the harder to quit gene and I'm the chosen one.

5. No study say if it is more or less damaging to the body if you relapse and quit and relapse. Our scientist is just not doing a good job on this subject. Just imaging you are eating unhealthy for few weeks and then normal few weeks. The damage should be around that level

6. For me to quit, i tried and failed few times. This time I locked myself in my no smoking bedroom for 1 weeks and then i started workout. Workout helps to eliminate the craving and I can happily eat (one of my withdrawals), in the past 2 mths, whatever not feeling well I just blame it on withdrawal and I did have around 6 types of withdrawals and some are painful

7. Today after more than 3 months, I'm still fighting. Yes willpower is all gone after months of torture from the quit and long forgotten why I quit. I just continue to quit... The nicotine is seriously powerful  

gkim

Dec-27

Oh wow my November Quitters, today is the last Sunday of 2020! It sure was interesting to say the least but we are still standing and best of all, we are now standing without a cigarette in our hands. It seems crazy to me that I have 53 days today. I really didn’t think I could ever not smoke. (Am I saying that right? Well, you know what I mean.) I know this coming year will be kind of scary with just being diagnosed with emphysema and with the upcoming appointment with a pulmonologist but it couldn’t be worse than if I kept smoking. It’s all up from here, in my opinion. Anyways, Happy New Year, my quit buddies. I hope you are still with me. I wish you the best!!

Vickie106

Dec-27

Hi, well I’m  still here and now at 39 days.  Big congratulations on 53 days!  I’m so thrilled and thankful to be going into the new year no longer a smoker!  I’m so proud of all of us!  
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and hope the appointment goes well.  

fortemdomina

Dec-28

Yes, I am still with you.  Today marks 31 days for me.  Yesterday was my one month anniversary.  I have been struggling a bit in the past week to 10 days with stronger desires and urges to smoke than I had in the previous two weeks.  On the one hand it is disheartening, as I hoped that one month free would see a lessening not a strengthening, but it means I am continuing to heal.

I know this is something psychological rather than physical, although the sensations are physical, with mild panic attacks throughout the day.  I will re read Alan Carr and repeatedly remind myself why I quit. 

This is harder than the beginning because I think my greatest fear and the one that still haunts me is the idea that I will ALWAYS miss smoking.  We've all been somewhere with that person who says "Oh, I quit x number of years ago, but I would love a smoke.  I just can't have one."  The idea of continuing to experience these cravings and such for YEARS is what terrifies me.   I am trying to focus on today only, but that is not something I am very good at.  I keep telling myself that soon this will pass, that I will not feel this forever.  

One month down.  Hopefully peace will come in the next 2-3 months, but for now, I am having another smoke free day, which is all it takes to make a day great.

CC to Vickie106
Vickie106

Dec-28

I hear you.  I get hit with the occasional strong urge too.  But it is definitely mental/emotional rather than physical.  And, I think those are what trips quitters up.  We were prepared for the physical withdrawal in the beginning.  We were constantly on guard.  Now, we’ve relaxed a little and then Wham, that emotional need for a crutch/pacifier rears it’s head.  I do think it gets better for most people, but it could take 6 months to a year before we’ve stamped out most of the triggers to smoke.  We just have to be aware that an urge could hit and be prepared to deal with it.  I plan to be here next November celebrating a year and hope to see the rest of my quit buddies here too!

CC to gkim
gkim

Dec-28

I really relate to what you’re saying. I feel very much the same. Well, I should I say did. Yesterday was a slow day for me do I decided to read some journals snd quit stories on this forum. I’m glad I read them because I was reminded of the reason why I quit. I don’t know what will happen to me in terms of what damages have been already done snd from what I understand, you could have quit years ago but the disease such as emphysema or cancer can appear at any time. I know that I cannot blame anyone but myself if that does happen and to tell myself the truth, it’s a wonder I’m relatively healthy considering how much I abused my body. What’s done is done but I won’t make it worse by smoking again. Some of the stories really brought tears to my eyes. They are snd were all so brave. I will think of them when an urge hits!

In reply toRe: msg 227
gkim

Dec-30

My November friends and everyone! Happy new year! I wish you health, joy, and peace!

Vickie106

Dec-30

Happy New Year to you!  I’m looking forward to a smoke free year!