About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

November 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started Oct-31 by Terry (abquitsmking); 23886 views.
gkim

Jan-16

How are you F4ul

fortemdomina

Jan-20

Hello! Just wanted to see how everyone was doing. I am still going strong and just over a week shy of 2 months. I hope you are well and hanging in there!  The urge to smoke has completely gone recently and I don’t even think about it everyday anymore. Hope the Nov quitters are doing great!

CC to Vickie106
gkim

Jan-20

Hi Forte! Good to hear from you and even better that you’re doing so well. Today is my day 77. I’m doing ok also with the cravings but I still do think about it more so than you it seems. It does visit me daily. Incredibly though my morning cravings have gotten much better and I actually have some mornings where I don’t think about it. Mornings were the toughest for me. I think we will get stronger everyday. I look forward to hitting 90 days. Then I decided I’m going to count by months and not obsess over counting days (lol). Thanks for checking in!

Eve1973

Jan-21

Good going Gk! 

Yes some people definitely have an easier time on quitting. I think a lot has to do with years and amount people smoked. You don’t sound that your upset that you are still thinking about it, but wanted to let you know that it is “normal.” I still think about and I’m almost a year. It does get much easier as time goes by. But the 1st year is the year of 1sts. You find yourself in situations that you used to smoke, even if it’s not an everyday experience. I smoked approx 30 years, and about 1 1/2 packs a day for a long time. So pat yourself on the back! And plan something special for your 3 months of sombriety lol

Vickie106

Jan-21

I’m still here too, just haven’t been on much lately.  I was finding it stressful to read about some of the folks relapsing, so I took a break. I still have urges to smoke, but they are fewer.  I’m at 64 days today and going strong!

CC to gkim
Anne2020

Jan-21

Well done!  The daily urge to smoke left me very quickly as well.  Notwithstanding, every once in awhile, I would get what I called a Tsunami  Crave, right out of the blue for what seemed like no reason at all.  Although these took my by surprise and needed a bit of effort to overcome, they soon disappeared altogether as well.

One question - purely out of interest - are you suing an NRT or going cold turkey? 

So watch out for those Tsunami's and keep up the great work.  You should be feeling very proud of yourself. 

Well done!  

• Edited January 21, 2021 12:48 pm  by  Anne2020
Anne2020

Jan-21

Well done Vickie - you are doing great.  

fortemdomina

Jan-21

I went cold turkey.  Quit the day after Thanksgiving.  I have used NRT in the past, but it always failed as I wanted MORE.  Re-read Alan Carr, really took the time to digest and think about it and have really just moved on.  Occasionally I still think about it or want one, but probably only once or twice a week.  Maybe not even that.  Today marks Day 55.  I had to go to my app to look it up as I stopped counting days a few weeks ago.  

I am sure there will be more tough times in the coming year, but rather than look for those I am just  leaving it behind.  I will deal when they come, in the meantime, I am a very happy non smoker and there is no sense borrowing trouble.

Congrats on your one year mark!

Anne2020

Jan-21

I quit cold turkey as well and like you had used NRT's in the past, which always failed.  I also re-read Alan Carr. 

When I quit, just stopped smoking, I found the cravings disappeared quit early on.  Your quit sounds allot like mine.  It all seems so easy compared to others on this forum or other attempted quits in my past.  One person described it to me as 'smoking left me'.

Now I am past a year and going strong.  Congratulations to you as well.  

Cheers!  

gkim

Jan-22

Congrats Anne! I too quit cold turkey and I’m also one of those that the quitting was relatively , I don’t want to say “easy” but I guess easier than some other people. The cravings still come but it’s a passing thought. Mornings and after finishing a taxing tasks makes me want it but of course I just ignore the thoughts. Tomorrow will be 80 days for me. When I get to 90 I will stop counting days and count months. Then God willing, count years!