About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

November 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started Oct-31 by Terry (abquitsmking); 16945 views.
In reply toRe: msg 24
Jonny84

Nov-6

Hang in there - I quit too when I found out I had Covid - October 5.  I quit for about 9 days and started feeling better.  The I figured I was just have 1 or 2 -  that was a mistake - all it did was add anxiety to the lingering Covid symptoms.  I went back and forth for a few more days - would actually go to the store and buy a pack take 4 out and throw them away.  I realized what a trap they put me in.  There is no 1 cigarette that will cure the urge you have.  1 leads to 2 that leads to 3 - then you get more anxiuos and upset with yourself after you smoke.  I am at 4 days and 3 hours without 1.  I am using the patch - the step 2 - and it is pretty hard - HOWEVER - I am breathing much better - the anxiety is up and down - but i really feel like its more under control because I honestly have not had ANY in 4 days - and haven't cheated at all.  You just need to hang in there and really convince yourself that smoking even 1 will only lead to regret.  Smoking is a viscous cycle - there is no 1 cigarette that will satisfy your craving - it will lead to more!!!   Please listen to me when I tell you - The COVID stuff is bad enough - fear anxiety ect..  But now that I am really coming out of it - I have no doubts that my decision to STOP was the right one.  Trust me  - You will get healthier ALOT faster and be sooooo much happier in the long run!!!  

gkim

Nov-6

Are you recovered from Covid? I know a lot about the whole “only one...” phenomenon. I am six plus years sober. In some ways smoking is harder because we don’t see the damages it does to us visually. We don’t fall down stairs, for example, if we smoke too many. 

In reply toRe: msg 29
Mimikur

Nov-7

Hi @gkim! 

I hope you get better soon, and recover from covid quickly! muscle

I quit about the same time as you. I am completing 2 full days an hour from now. Like you, i had a very strong reason to quit -- which I haven't shared before on this forum. My husband and I are planning (and possibly expecting) to have a baby. Holding on to this reason, I find that it has made my quit possible in just a week of gathering info (mainly from here) and changing the way I think about quitting. 

I am glad that you found this place. It has helped many, and will help you too! Post a lot and tell us what you are feeling, if you feel like it. 

In reply toRe: msg 29
Jonny84

Nov-7

I am pretty much recovered.  I do have some lingering head things going on - but they are mixed with bad fall allergies and quitting smoking.  It feels like  I still have a weird head cold - The anxiety is still up really high - and on top of it - I just got in a car accident -my new 2020 civic - not even 500 miles on it.  Ughhhhh  I broke down and am sucking on a pen lol - not going to smoke!!!   

How are u feeling with the Covid?

Jonny84

Nov-7

Mimikur - that's Amazing!!  Best of luck to you and the husband!!  And you couldn't have made a better choice to quit!!  Are you doing cold turkey or what?

Mimikur

Nov-7

Hi @Jonny84! Thank you for the kind wishes. I have shared in this forum more than I have with friends about this, there is just something about being here that makes me want to tell :) 

It's good to hear that you've recovered from covid, and I understand being confused about the symptoms, as you're going through two new processes at once! It's a similar case for me (quitting and possible being pregnant). There's the constant hunger, occasional headaches and fatigue, even shaking fingers which I am not sure are due to quitting or not. 

I'm not sure if this counts as cold turkey: I kinda planned my quit and reduced my smoke down to 3 times a day and only a couple of puffs each time 3 days before my quit. And I'm not on any nicotine therapy. 

I am completing 3 days very soon let's do this! 

• Edited November 7, 2020 9:40 pm  by  Mimikur
gkim

Nov-7

I was a smoker when I found out I was pregnant. I didn’t smoke the whole time I was pregnant and ten years after that. When I was pregnant I think the craving for cigarette is really minimal which was a huge help in quitting. You’re one step ahead and planning. Much smarter than I was. After I had my first daughter I had medical reasons not to go back to smoking and by then I didn’t have any cravings or even wanted to. Ten years later I was back to smoking and it had to be Covid that made me quit. Well at least for three days. This time quitting for me is like my first time quitting because I didn’t experience any withdrawals or cravings the first time I quit. It’s so so hard and I never want to repeat this again. 

In reply toRe: msg 34
Mimikur

Nov-7

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that @gkim. Was it a particular event that made you smoke again after the 10-year quit? 

I think you are right, it is easier when you think about your pregnancy, especially for women with morning sickness and can't stand the smell of cigarettes. But here I am, definitely still needing the support and teaching I find on this forum to keep me going. 

We are three days quit! How do you feel?

gkim

Nov-7

Did you go back and retest? Just wondering. I know that it’s not required but I think I’m going to just to make sure after my 14 days I’m negative. I’ve been very blessed with very little Covid symptoms- just low grade fever and did have a headache but since that’s also a part of nicotine withdrawals who can say. How many days are you on? Wow you didn’t smoke in that stress of a car accident. You will make it. Sounds like you are very disciplined. 

gkim

Nov-7

I wouldn’t say it was a particular event. I think it was hanging with a smoker too often. I would never blame someone else for what I did but obviously it influenced me. I must have not been in the right place with myself. You know. Nothing out there can ever influence you if you are good within. Well, I am spiritually and psychologically at a better place now. Aging also makes you wiser. Good luck to you and thank you for letting me share.