About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

November 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started Oct-31 by Terry (abquitsmking); 16444 views.
KerrieRose

Nov-2

Thank you for all of this great info and great tips! Going to to do this. 
Last cig smoked at 11:30 pm October 27, 2020. 

Loreficent

Nov-2

Yay! There will be lots of hard days. I still have some. But I do not have regret. Just keep telling yourself about the difference between those two. Yes, it is hard, but I do not regret it. If you smoke now, you will at some point have to start over and go through those first few hardest days again! Who wants to do that, right?

Do you want to share a little bit of your history? Like how much you smoked, how long, etc? It is certainly not required if you prefer not to. Did you quit cold Turkey? Sometimes things feel a little different to those who quit cold Turkey vs using NRT (nicotine replacement therapy). Just gives a different perspective from those on here who have done one or the other. There is no right way or wrong way or better way. There is only your way and what works for you! You will find though that no matter what, being here and reading and posting and engaging with others that have gone through and are going through what you are is a tremendous help. It has made a huge difference for all of us here to connect with others that “get it”. It is definitely something that someone who has never smoked or vaped cannot relate to.

Glad you’re here! What time zone are you in? I ask everyone this as I’ve been around for several months and like knowing who is up when!joy

KerrieRose

Nov-2

Been smoking off and on—more on since college. Quit for 5 years while my kids were born. Then was a secret smoker for a long time. Met my group of besties about 25 years ago. Three of the four of us were smokers. Now only one smoker left. (Not me, I’m a non-smoker now. Can you tell I’ve read the Carr book—multiple times.) So I’m 60 now—that makes about 40 years of smoking with a few breaks. This one is for keeps. Went cold turkey this time. Feel like a raging b*tch at times. Feels good to read others experiences. 
l live in the Central time zone— suburban Chicago. 
Thank you for listening and caring. It really helps!

Loreficent

Nov-2

Oh! Chicago is nice! I have a sister near there, in Naperville. There is an article here somewhere about closet smokers...let me find it for you. It totally hit home for me, except the giving the husband extra booze part, lol! You’ll see when you read it though. Will get to it today. Also, can be hard to find, but if you open all of the tabs on the left, near the bottom there is a “Library “ tab. There so many good articles there. Spend some time reading and learning about addiction. It will really help you to understand what is going on underneath and let you see how so much of it is normal. Also, I see Wendy (Ovivi) wrote you in the other thread and gave the excellent advice of babying yourself. I absolutely second that! All these folks on here are so amazing. I would not be at 8months without this forum for sure. A true godsend. 

Jaka38

Nov-2

Just keep going. We were discussing some Churchill quotes and this one is worth remembering : If you're going through hell, keep going. joy

I went cold turkey as well. Had some doubts about it but now I'm fine with it. So you have many quits before this one. You're not alone. I had at least ten of them. None of them were 5 years long though. But I get it, you didn't want to hurt your kids. My wife quit fir the same reason although she was never really a smoker. I guess it's time to stop hurting yourself as well wink and know that you're really lucky you find this forum. It makes all the difference v

So again, keep going and good luck 

Loreficent

Nov-2

Jaka where did you find the peace sign emoji? I don’t think I have this one? confused You and JoelJose with different emojis makes me wonder if it is different in other countries?? We need the peace sign one here Jaka! joy

Edit: Oh, I found it! I do have it!! This must mean I now have peace? joyjoyjoy I’ve looked for that before and never saw it. Just did update this morning for iPad so maybe now? Wouldn’t think it would make a difference on forum though. Go figure!

• Edited November 2, 2020 1:04 pm  by  Loreficent
Loreficent

Nov-2

Yes! Peace for all of us quitters is the wish for today. Want to join me with the wish? I guess maybe same as NOPE thread though. dizzy

Allamer1980

Nov-3

I’ve been reading the forums over past week. I quit Nicotine on Oct 1. I think we all share similar experiences and wanted to say I will be week 5 tomorrow. I finally feel free and it’s amazing. Still a process, but this week has felt much different. 

it’s nice to read what others have experienced. I will say earlier this year I stopped chewing tobacco for many reasons which thankful to have clean bill of health after 20 years. But after 3 months I said, I’ll just do one NRT. Stupid mistake. So about a month of that and said zero, zilch..no more. Nicotine free life is the only way!!!