About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Don't mess up by smoking a cigar    Quit Support

Started Nov-5 by Sheilamz; 546 views.
Sheilamz

Nov-5

I quit smoking cigarettes 4 and a half years ago and recently went to a whisky and cigar dinner pairing at a winery and without thinking anything of it smoked some of a cigar (for the first time ever) and then some of another one a few weeks later that we brought home from the same event (they gave us 3).  And now I am finding myself thinking about cigarettes once again! 

I realize now that even though you don't necessarily inhale the cigar they are still full of nicotine and I'm sure I have triggered some old dormant receptors.  I honestly didn't even equate smoking a cigar with cigarettes at first but I will admit with the second cigar I ignored a thought that told me deep down that it was probably a bad idea.

It's a sneaky and powerful addiction. Be on the lookout!  Be mindful. And they really mean it when they say, NOT ONE PUFF EVER!

I am not going to relapse on cigarettes but it is annoying to have the cravings slightly again after being free from them for so long.  Lesson definitely learned. 

Hope you all are doing well. I may hang around to get out of my head for awhile and help out. I have good memories of all the help received and given here. :)

Loreficent

Nov-5

Hi Sheila,

Im not sure I would have made the association either, but, honestly, I am not sure I would smoke a cigar either joy. Not to minimize the feeling of reigniting the receptors as I’m sure that is a yucky feeling, but what you wrote is entertaining as it sounds like you had quite the adventure! 

I’m only 8 months in and definitely not “there” yet, but your post made my day and brought me a big smile. Thank you for sharing! How long quit are you? Do you remember getting to the point where you thought definitely “I’ve made it!” ? Seems this is quite a broad time frame from folks on here. Most seem to say at a year-ish, give or take a few months. 

Well, maybe, it was meant to be so you could come back and perhaps have just the right thing to say to one of us that makes something “click” kind of like a destiny kind of thing! 
Sounds like the good news is it didn’t make you want a cigarette specifically, that you are not tempted to do that, and you didn’t throw up!
This addiction is something alright. I don’t think I understood the depth of it until giving it up. It’s always so nice to have folks come back and offer advice and lend a hand. I will definitely tuck that “no smoking cigars!” note under my hat! blush
Thank you so much. That is a very cute pup by the way!

• Edited November 5, 2020 10:54 pm  by  Loreficent
Sheilamz

Nov-6

Haha, I'm glad my little adventure brought a smile to your face. It was a bit humorous. I shake my head chuckling at my silly self for doing such a dumb thing!  Lol.

I quit Feb. 3, 2016. I don't remember when I felt like I "made it.". I don't think I, to this day, really want to claim that I've made it because I want to keep a healthy respect/fear of smoking again and never think I could not be capable of going back to it again else I might get too cocky and let my guard down, if that makes sense.  Kind of like I did with these damn cigars. 

I did go back and look in my old journal however, and saw that it was definitely around 6 months that I felt the cravings and mental obsession had left me and what a relief that was!  If you're interested in my story it is under the Quit Stories and Journals tab under Sheila's Quit Journal.  

8 months was a good place for me and it only got better from there. That is so incredible that you have made it this far. Keep it up!  It is worth it!!!

Loreficent

Nov-6

Oh, thanks! I will definitely look it up. I’m always inspired by other’s stories. 
I know exactly what you mean. I tell myself every day that I will always be an addict, and there will always be a small piece in there that is vulnerable. I truly do not think this addiction is different from others in that regard. I am fortunate that I have never been an alcoholic. I do have close friends and family that are, and many that are in recovery. The thing they all say is “I will always be an alcoholic “. So, even when my nicotine receptors are all shut down (whenever that is!?) and one day when I realize it has been months since I’ve thought about smoking, I will still say “I am a nicotine addict”. I will never trust it any other way but to remain guarded with it for sure as I do NOT want to go through this again! Lol! No way, no how. Debbie is right when she says “quitting isn’t for sissies!” 
Yes, it is empowering to stop. I do notice a ton already how worth it it is. 
Im still cracking up about the cigars! joyblush They are just so...stinky! Too funny. The Whisky part sounds intriguing though! 

Sheilamz

Nov-6

Yes, I agree with you about the addiction piece and always being on guard and always being an addict. I have close family members and friends in recovery, too, and I actually don't drink myself so I couldn't tell you about the whisky pairings personally.

It's funny, we have good friends who belong to a local winery club and they invite us to all these fancy dinners there where they pair different wines with the various courses of the meal they serve for the evening. Well, instead of wines, they did whiskeys on this particular night. When we go to these events, since I don't drink, my lucky husband gets to drink double, - all his drinks, plus all of the ones they pour for me that are included with my dinner! Lol  

overdoze

Nov-12

Yeah thats how i lost a 2 year quit by smoking a cigarillo i think they are called, it tricked me that it wasn't a cigarette and i kept smoking them and have since tried to quit so many times.. the longest i have made it since has been 6 months, 4 months a lot of 1 week quits. So yeah its good that you came back on here. I thought the same thing that its a cigar its not a cigarette, but its one in the same. I just keep reminding myself of all the money im saving now at 14.00/a packet it adds up. 

Sheilamz

Nov-12

Right, I thought since it wasn't something you inhale it was different too. Keep at it. That is very expensive and of course you want to get your health back on track and think of all the other reasons you quit cigarettes in the first place.  I now know I should never try another cigar again even though I want to. It's such a powerful addiction!

June2019

Nov-15

thank you for posting this. it's been a long time since i had a whiff of one, but i recall loving the sweet aroma of a cigar or pipe. thank you for this reminder NOT to give one a shot should the opportunity arise.

-June puff free since 6/7/2019

overdoze

Nov-20

I believe after we taste freedom of not smoking, that going back to that prison just wants us to be rid of it. Its a tough addiction, i think most people will need several attempts, unfortunately for me its been a lot of back and forth. I like both sides i cant lie, i like not smoking and i like smoking sometimes, but think its better not to, but then again sometimes if its so painful then smoke one, its better than being in intense pain..