About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Just a check in!   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Nov-15 by Jonny84; 1297 views.
Jonny84

Nov-15

Good Morning all - Happy Sunday.

I am at 12 days and 18 hours since my last cig.  I am enjoying the breathing - minus the allergies.  They have been pretty bad.  I am starting off today on the Step 3 patch- 7mg.  Is anyone else out there using the patch?  I envy all the people that went cold turkey - I just couldn't do it.. All of thus Covid stuff and getting over it with a slow (extra- slow mental recovery) from it- it was just too much for me.  My anxiety went crazy high!!  I still get bouts of the anxiety from time to time - just depends on the time of day I guess.  I did almost break down yesterday and go buy some - but I know that would just kill everything at this point.  I don't think i could live with myself.  Anyway - I do know things will eventually get better -I hope!!  I just wanted to kinda reach out and see if anyone was struggling and just vent pretty much.  Life is so hard for so many people right now - and to throw quitting smoking in the mix - well it just makes it all the more tougher.  

GI_JOE (JoelJose)

Nov-15

Hi Jonny, congratulations!12 days and 18 hours is a big deal.As long as you are not smoking, you are doing great. Keep up the good fight. Yes, its a hard time now with all these Covid right? And yes, better days are coming and it would be real better with no smoking. I dont know much about patches but gums didnt work for me in my initial quit attempts. Just focus on adding days to your quit and you have got this. all this struggle you are facing now will mould you into a powerful being. Trust the process and cravings are actually good. As you overcome the cravings, your brain finds different ways to bring back the authentic you who never smoked. 

Jonny84

Nov-15

Great point - Thank you for the encouragement!!  Every day that passes is another victory - I need to focus on that more.  I tgried the gum and that didn't do anything for me at all - at least with the patch - it's working.  Thank God!!

Jaka38

Nov-15

Hi there. I think this is amazing achievement and you should be proud of yourself. First of all don't envy those of us who went cold turkey. I envied those who used NRT because you definitely make translation less painful. In that way you paved more resistant path. 

I still have high anxiety days but it's much better than at a beginning. You'll see. You're through the worst part already. Just keep up in that direction. And you're absolutely right about difficult times we are in right now. Anyway, they are not going to disappear or become more barable if you'll go back to smoking. Quite the opposite actually. I'm just a month ahead and still have those thoughts that I choose the wrong time and so on. It's very important to see that for what it really is - junkie mind trying so hard to get you right back to adiction.

Everyone here will tell you that the most important thing you should never forget is: do whatever you want just don't smoke. And stay on this forum, write a lot about your struggle and yourself because it makes all the difference in the world. Trust me, this forum is crucial. I wish you all the best wink

In reply toRe: msg 4
Jonny84

Nov-15

Thank You so Much Jaka!!! - I'll give the anxiety more time.  Its so great to know that I am not alone - even though I am very sorry you are still having rough days.  1 thing i do really look forward to is the benefits of having a stronger immune system again.  I am somewhat proud of myself - I guess we just need more time to pass.  I will be very mindful of the junkie feeling - thank you so much for the reminder.  I have had a couple of pretty tough days back to back - but thanks to you and this forum - I have hope.  It means so- sooooooo very much!!!

Msg 6312.6 deleted
Loreficent

Nov-16

Go Jonny Go!

Yes, give it more time, the anxiety I mean. It will get better. The further you go, the more empowered you are. All these minutes add up! To hours, then, days, weeks, months, etc. I think it is important to stay focused on where you are going, but always stop to give yourself some acknowledgment too on far you have already come. You are doing what you thought a short time ago was impossible, right? 
In the grand scheme, the time is gonna go by no matter what. Relax into it, enjoy the ride, and let things play out. You guys are doing great and I’m so happy to have you here and sharing the journey. It really is something we are accomplishing together, no matter how hard we still struggle as individuals. Keep writing and sharing and most of all, keep on keeping on. We are doing this. At this point, I don’t think any of us will regret doing it as much as we would regret starting over. 
Stay the course fellas! You are worth this!!! blush

P.S. Jaka the delete was because I had you cc’d but when it posted it didn’t have you cc’d, so I reposted. There were no bad words!joy

CC to Jaka38
  • Edited November 16, 2020 2:14 pm  by  Loreficent
Jaka38

Nov-16

OK, glad to knowjoyjoyjoy

In reply toRe: msg 8
Loreficent

Nov-16

That is for you too Jaka. Acknowledging how far you’ve come is a good motivator. Eve and I were just reading back in our first thread this morning where we first “met”. So I took some time and went back reading from my earlier days and it really helped to see where I was. I think sometimes we cannot see the forest through the trees as they say!joy I think this means when we are in the middle of something we can’t see either where we were OR where we are going! joy Perhaps we do not see at all. Or think. We just blindly DO! Haha!blush

Jonny84

Nov-16

OMG you are so right!!  I officially made it 2 weeks and almost broke down again today - but (this is so funny) only a short time ago - I never thought i could reach 2 weeks.  The only regret would have been if I would have broken down.  I am still sluggish/congested ect. - But ohhh wow - I can really take some good deep breaths and not cough - it's really amazing!!!!  I can't believe how bad my breathing really was - until I got to this point.  I am utterly shocked and will definitely keep going at this point - come way too far. And 1 cig - will not satisfy anything - it will just lead to another and another and another and so on - lol.  Thank you so much for the encouragement - I am simply trusting you about the anxiety - but I know it will get better - Everyone who has posted something on this forum is straight up genuine and no one sugar coats any thing.  That's why I love it!!  People like you jump on here and post truth and encouragement!!  I can never Thank You enough!!