About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Quit smoking on March 15 2020 but have relapsed a certain time   General Chit-Chat

Started Nov-25 by F4ul; 1139 views.
F4ul

Nov-25

Hey guys, I'm a College student 20 years old soon to be 21 year old from India. I started smoking in March of 2019 well it was before that but during that time I started to smoke full blown as I was a very bright student in school but as I couldn't get into a good college due to my bad grades and recent break up with a girlfriend over a stupid reason and had my family going through a family issues I felt really weak and gave in into this addiction but soon I realised whatever I was doing was wrong and I was spoiling my life and as soon as covid started and I came back home I had a realisation that I need to quit. So I did at first I thought it will be easy as I have just smoked for a year but it certainly was not. I have relapsed at various times now first I did was after 6 months in August 2020 then once or twice. Recently I quit again for like 3 months and I had a puff 3 days ago that was on Nov 26 2020 I'm trying to quit cold turkey as I regert taking up this habit and I have been going through a lot. I hope this online forum can help. And if you have some advice please help me and I'll be needing your support a lot 

In reply toRe: msg 1
DanJF3

Nov-27

Congratulations on your decision to be smoke and nicotine free!  You are still young and if you can put smoking in the past before years of damaging your body, that is a great thing.  

My advice is to read as much as you can about this addiction.  While you may not be a long term smoker, as you say, it is still difficult. The physical addiction is, at least for me, the easiest part to handle.  Within a few days the body is rid of nicotine and unless you were a very heavy smoker much of the physical discomfort is gone.  The mental and emotional part of nicotine addiction is (again speaking for myself) more difficult and long lasting.  I quit at the start of 2020 and still I occasionally want to smoke but it has gotten much better in recent months.  It literally is a one day at a time and one crave at a time battle.  Post your thoughts when you feel a need to smoke.  The monthly forums such as November 2020 New Ex-Smokers are a good place to connect with others in the same stage as you in their quits and you will find much good advice in there.  

Most important, try to keep a positive attitude and don't be too critical of yourself.  I struggled with that as I struggled to quit these past several years but be patient and use your resources.  You can do it!

Loreficent

Dec-1

Hi there,

It’s been a few days, and am wondering how you’re holding up? I think it speaks a lot that you keep thinking about it and from the sounds of it not going back to daily. It’s funny that we think one has to do this a long time to be addicted. I think for most it happens very fast. I agree with Dan; the sooner you can put it behind you the better. You’ve not done a ton of damage yet and that is something to be positive about! Best advice I can give is don’t give up and let the drug get you thinking you can’t stop. Ask yourself if smoking changes any of the things you are going through, or if it just seems like a brief break from it. Maybe find some new ways to give yourself a break, like a walk. I think moving is crucial and walking seems to clear my mind a bit. Also, come on back and let us know how you’re doing. Sometimes keeping a conversation going here is just the thing. Everyone here understands the addiction and mental struggle. Let us know how you’re doing and how we can help!

overdoze

Dec-1

thats a hard age to be, cause your not 100% adult but not a teenager, well those years were tough for me. It gets better w time, i would go back to school when you feel up to it and start lifting weights and see what you will do with your life. Maybe talk with someone you trust. I dont think you have done very bad damage from smoking since you only did it relatively short period i smoked for decades, i can only imagine what i have done to myself. After this stage you are going through things will be much better going forward for sure..

In reply toRe: msg 2
F4ul

Dec-1

Thanks for your support and I have been doing better. Also I have been heavily smoking for a the year though like a packet a day kind of heavy smoking. And I get you on the emotional and mental part. It has been heavy I have basically isolated myself because I was getting too irritated and I'm hanging in there. Let's see what happens. 

F4ul

Dec-1

I have been doing way better recently as dan suggested I did a lot of research on it and I'm feeling way better. But yeah that mental and emotional struggle is getting me. I hope I make it through. Thanks for your support 

In reply toRe: msg 6
Loreficent

Dec-1

Of course! That’s what makes this place so special. You can post as much or as little as you like, but I do highly recommend staying close and reading a lot. We can learn so much from other’s experiences really, and at a minimum it does really help to know that you’re not alone in the struggle. Validation is a powerful source of encouragement. Did you find the Library tab at the bottom on the left? Read some articles there and get to understand the addiction piece and the emotional attachment, etc.

Ive cc’d my friend Joel here as I think you guys have a fair amount in common. He also smoked for a year or so and became heavily addicted. He is from India also but living in Canada for Grad school. He is a strong source of motivation and support for us here. 

• Edited December 1, 2020 1:25 pm  by  Loreficent
In reply toRe: msg 7
GI_JOE (JoelJose)

Dec-1

Hi,happy to see you here in the forum.Quitting is easy and staying quit is the hardest part.keep posting here and you will eventually develop a quit mindset.There comes a point where you no longer enjoy those poisonous smokes and the freedom that you receive is very much enjoyable.As Lorie said,we have a fair amount of things in common.And I believe that we have a slight advantage too.the sooner,the better!the addiction is real and never give in yourself by smoking a cigarette.You will have the junkie thinking even after months of quitting as a slight voice patting on your back and telling you "there is nothing wrong in one puff".You should really understand that the voice is demonic and his intention is to make you fall in the vicious loop of this damn addiction,over and over.So always put your Armour on and join us with the NOPE pledge.Not one puff ever.you can do it!

F4ul

Dec-1

Hey lol I found this text thread. I actually have posted another one because I couldn't find it. I'm glad we have such similarities. I think we both can help each other in ways. There are certain things I would like to discuss with you. I hope you are cool with it?

In reply toRe: msg 5
DanJF3

Dec-3

I think you can see what a great place this is for support.  Know that you are not the only one going through this process.  I know I isolated myself a lot when I was smoking so that's not too unusual.  It doesn't look like anyone has mentioned it but read Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking if you are up for it.  That book helped reframe my mindset about quitting and helped me realize that this is an addiction, I am not the only one who has it and that smoking is really horrible in terms of physical and mental health as well as a huge waste of money.  When I first quit I didn't think I would last more than a couple days and honestly didn't really want to quit but I read much of that book on Day 2 and have stayed away from smoking almost a year now without it being the more horrible and painful thing I have ever done (which was how I viewed it on Day 1).  

Keep posting!  You can do it!