About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

greetings.   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Dec-2 by Prplerider1; 1079 views.
Prplerider1

Dec-2

High there. I'm Joe, and...kicking myself feeling like the worlds largest dummy. Started smoking 50 years ago. age 13. knowing full well I had asthma. didn't stop me. even the diagnosis 5 years ago that my asthma was now copd, barely got me to cut back. But...the recent CT scan, which prompted the biopsies Ill be having next week on the four spots in my lung...yea...that did it. I'm scared to death, and wanna reach for a smoke. Im on day three, about to climb walls and ive been told..i was a lot nicer when i was smoking....yea, its getting to me. any advice folks can give to to get through this next month...is much appreciated. smoking was always my go to when stressed, seems i have lots of that now....thanks. quit drinking 20 years ago. I know i can do this, i just don't know how.

fortemdomina

Dec-3

Hi Joe!  Welcome to the forums.  I'm not that far ahead of you, just quit 6 days ago myself.  I'm so sorry you have those health worries hanging over your head.  That has got to be so so scary.  Congratulations on 3 days smoke free.  It might be hard to believe, but you are through the worst of it.  You can introduce yourself to the December 2020 group.  There are also some great resources there for newly quit smokers to help you on your journey.

Feel free to reach out anytime you need help or support.  You can post an SOS in the quit support section anytime and the wonderful people here at the forum will be there for you.

Here's my advice:

Read Alan Carr.  His books can do great things for changing your mindset and how you see smoking.  I have failed many many times in the past and I know that this time is different because I have finally stopped seeing smoking as something I am "giving up" and started seeing it as the jailer it is.  Alan Carr and the articles here really helped me with that.

Read, read, read, post, post, post here on the fourms.  Read the articles, post when you are weak or strong or scared or anything at all.  You can use the forums as a place to document your journey and connect with other supportive people.

Drink lots of water through a straw.  Many people say ice water, but I find water through a straw is the key for me, whatever the temp.  There is a great list of distractions here on the forums (maybe in the December group, would have to look).  I have found that slow, deliberate breathing also helps during my weaker times and when I find myself cranky with those around me.

You can do this!  Reach out if you need anything!

Eve1973

Dec-3

Hey Joe, yep I started around the same time as you and also have asthma. You can beat yourself up or tell yourself it’s time for a change. 

I started my journey to freedom back in January, found this forum In February and have stuck close since. Listen I get it, we have smoked our entire ADULT LIVES, and it became US. It defined us. Well let me tell you something, I’m not going to lie, yep it’s hard and challenging but I’m am SO HAPPY TO BE WHERE I AM right now. I actually have energy, now that took a while. I sleep better. I didn’t even realize I was so sleep deprived. Not sure if because of the heart trying to keep up or what. 

Start reading about this addiction in the beginning of the December thread and educate yourself. This is definitely a process. Also keep very close to this forum and post, it really really helps. 

Im hoping the biopsy is benign! Oh and if you think after 1 month that you will be back to normal and never think about smoking, sad to say, I doubt it. This seriously is a process. Read and education is key to success! 

I can tell you that quitting smoking cigarettes is the single best present you could ever do as being a quitter is empowering. I'm over 7 years quit after smoking for over 44 years and this forum plus Allen Carr's book The Easy Way to Quit Smoking and the WhyQuit.com site and awesome Youtube videos and the pay it forward support from fellow quitters will help you stay on track and help you see this wicked Drug Addiction in a new light. 

Yes in the beginning days weeks and months breaking free takes tenacity, commitment and determination. You'll be grumpy and the moods are all over the place because your body is withdrawing from all the chemicals and nicotine that bathed every cell in your body.

We all were hyped up on nicotine and now you'll feel what is like to be a drug addict going through withdrawL. We are just like any other drug addict making excuses to continue to smoke our drug of choice.  But, filling our smoking time with other worth while things is important and staying distracted when those cravings hit can be done. Many of us smoked 2-3 hours a day and filling all that smoking time baffles most of us.  That missing something feeling unfortunately will be with you till all those nicotine receptors shut down which happens somewhere after a year quit. So, hang in there as the intensity of those craves do weaken over time. 

Stay close to the forum and read everything so you get an idea how the quit process proceeds and get ideas of how to fill that smoke time with other fun times. You really can do this!!  Welcome to your smoke free life. Show that nicotine monster that you are in charge and that you choose to stop smoking for life.

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

Prplerider1

Dec-3

thank you very much.

Prplerider1

Dec-3

congratulations on that. I quit drinking 20 years ago. wasn't this hard. I have no idea why i can quit one fairly easy and this one has me jumping out of my skin. can't even put coherent thoughts together.

Prplerider1

Dec-3

i sleep for about three hours, hit the bathroom, would have a smoke, or two...be up for a couple hours, then go back to bed, be up in two hours or three. i literally have to go to bed at 8pm to get in 7 or 8 hours sleep before 8am. been this way the last 4 years. Dr's words...quit now or your body going to quit you in less than three years.

Prplerider1

Dec-3

toughest fight ive ever been in, and ive been through my share

Eve1973

Dec-3

Sounds VERY FAMILIAR! I would go to bed around 10pm, be up around 3:30am - 5 am stay up, go to work, sleep at lunch, go home may sleep again......and on weekends, forget it.....nap all weekend practically. 

So I’m going to tell you, in the beginning I had absolutely NO FOCUS. I forgot why I opened fridge, also I was even MORE tired than I was when smoking. And yes I think for me somewhere in May it cleared up mostly. I now hardly ever take naps.....but I really think my body is still adjusting to the “New” way of life. So just to let you know I go to bed normally (work days) 9:30pm - 10:30pm and up anywhere from 5:30-6am. Sleep right through til morning! It’s very odd. I still think this will improve more over time. 

1st change I noticed was my breathing, then my bags under my eyes went away......and boy were they dark, makeup did not help. They are gone! I don’t know if you have allergies also, but I do.....I am finding that things on that front are changing also. 

So listen I know everyone has given their tricks and how to get through this.....I’m not going to repeat, but they are absolutely CORRECT! Stick close and write! 

• Edited December 3, 2020 2:39 pm  by  Eve1973
gkim

Dec-3

Hi Joe. I sure hope the biopsy turn out to be negative. It seems for us addicts, we have to hit our “bottom” in order to quit. I’m also 6 years sober. And you’re right in that that did seem easier but it could also be that it’s been awhile so that’s what we think now. I’m on day 29 and I quit due to my own scare which was getting Covid. The day after I found out I stopped smoking. I quit because I wanted to recover from Covid and not have issues with my lungs. I heard the horrid stories about how it effects the lungs. Anyways, that’s my quit story. It’s still tough but if you quit drinking these many years you can quit smoking. I truly believe that. We just have to find something else to do, at least until the urges are no longer there. For now I’m sucking on a lot of candy. My choice is Werthers. I tried jolly ranchers but after too many your mouth hurts, I guess because it’s acidic. I also eat popcorn and cheese and drink healthy teas. The thought of smoking still comes but maybe not as often? Every time it comes, I say to God “help me.” And I tell myself “I don’t do that anymore.” Or “go away!” Use all the tricks you used when you stopped drinking. Good luck and, as others have suggested, come here when you crave. Read about what cigarette does to you and people’s posts. They do help. Keep us posted!